Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Spear fishing

Default Spear fishing

Hey guys my cousins and I are going spear fishing for bass and sunfish this week it will be our first time any tips?

Thanks

Here's a tip: make sure it's legal to spear fish in fresh water.
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

Quote Originally Posted by Superman52 View Post
    Hey guys my cousins and I are going spear fishing for bass and sunfish this week it will be our first time any tips?

Thanks
    PATIENCE ...........Tried it once for two days with nothing to show for my efforts (hand held stick and knife spear) . I did gain a deeper respect for the survival instincts of those fish , any movement or even a shadow crossing their path would spook them . Good Luck !

And speaking of legal. If using a spear is legal in your state make certain you have a fishing license. I can't imagine any state allows the use of spears on game fish.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

The only fish you can spear (or bow-fish) in my state are snakeheads.
    Last edited by pete lynch; 07-21-2013 at 02:30 PM. Reason: accidental rhyming
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

Check your local fishing regulations, Since your a minor your parents will face the wrath of fish and game for any thing you do wrong!!
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

if it's legal to spear, aim under the fish. The water refracts the light and the fish isn't really where it seems to appear.

In my area it is legal to spear fish from a fish shanty on the ice. The fish are attracted by fish decoys. Mostly it's sturgeon, pike and walleye. The sturgeon requires a special license that is issued through a lottery system. The spears are weighted with lead and are dropped through the hole in the ice from the shanty.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

I'm pretty into spearfishing. It just takes practice. Watch my videos and mayb you'll pull some ideas on how to do it.
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5Y-wAGvYjsw

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bvt13egbNLw

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PU6q5WicaRQ

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MkZU4Yey98w

Quote Originally Posted by RandyRhoads View Post
    I'm pretty into spearfishing. It just takes practice. Watch my videos and mayb you'll pull some ideas on how to do it.
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5Y-wAGvYjsw

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bvt13egbNLw

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PU6q5WicaRQ

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MkZU4Yey98w
    Cool videos.
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

It's a wooden fish painted up to look real. The fins are often made from copper sheet. Lead is poured in a groove in the bottom to keep it from floating.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    And speaking of legal. If using a spear is legal in your state make certain you have a fishing license. I can't imagine any state allows the use of spears on game fish.
    Uhh spearfishing is legal in just about every state.... Some states you don't even need a license

Uhh spearfishing is legal in just about every state.... Some states you don't even need a license
    That may be true, but In Texas its for non game species only.

What do you mean non game? If you target something doesn't that make it game...

What do you mean non game? If you target something doesn't that make it game...
    Carp, gar, and a couple others are non game fish. Bass, Stripper, Perch etc are game fish in texas.

Easier way to sum it up, if you have to buy a licence to catch it you cant use a spear .

You don't need a license to catch those...? A game fish is any fish I'm going to kill and eat... Including carp

Same in Illinois and Indiana. I'm sure California regulates game fish too. Spear and bow fishing is only legal in Indiana for Carp, Gar, Bowfin, Buffalo and Shad. Then only in certain water and at certain times. You can't use a spear at all on the Lake Michigan tributaries on any fish.

You don't need a license to catch those...? A game fish is any fish I'm going to kill and eat... Including carp

LOL, you are correct in that respect. Sorry guess my explanation didn't sound right, what I meant was if its on the list of fish you can catch with a pole you cant use a spear on it, you have to have a licence for any fishing, bow fishing, spear fishing.

Fish spear, gig, spear gun, bow and arrow and underwater spear are all treated the same here and are covered by the same regs.

Quote Originally Posted by welderguy View Post
    LOL, you are correct in that respect. Sorry guess my explanation didn't sound right, what I meant was if its on the list of fish you can catch with a pole you cant use a spear on it, you have to have a licence for any fishing, bow fishing, spear fishing.
    What ridiculous laws. That pisses me off glad I don't live there. We have been fighting over some bs laws regarding us spearing in the sacramento/American rivers a lot this year.

Rick of course california manages fishing... Did I say something that made it sound like they don't?