Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Spear fishing

I was doing a Paramedic refresher course today and during lunch i'd thought i'd go to my happy place and watch some dive videos from last year. Something caught my eye. Almost 2,000 views and no one saw it until I caught it today a year later. Good feelings gone, no happy place. A *%$#ing Great White Shark lurking just out of eyesight. Watching me. Decided weather he wanted to eat me or not. WTF.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pip995u-Ww0

Glad you didn't look like human sushi to it.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Oooookkkkk! No thank you! Looks like an awesome hobby....but I'll stay top side!

I guess I look at things with survival goggles.Spear fishing with tanks takes that a different direction,at least in my thinking.That said,for anyone wanting to supply themselves with food without the expense of modern equipment,a better way of spearing fish is not the jab or throw technique,but the yank technique.By easing along a weed bed fish often are lurking in or at the edge,presenting an easy target for yanking.You need to cut a long sapling,say 8'-10' long an a 1" diameter.On one end leave an 8" limb section attached ( imagine what a check mark looks like ____________\ ) by reaching the short limb over the fish,simply yank toward you,impaling the fish,pulling it toward you keeps pressure on the fish.There are other ways to make a pull spear,driving a long nail into a long board or limb at an upward angle will work well also.

Who said anything about tanks. I've never used tanks to spearfish.

When I grow up I want to be
    One of the harvesters of the sea

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdfzRCCCN9U

Quote Originally Posted by RandyRhoads View Post
    Who said anything about tanks. I've never used tanks to spearfish.
    I don't believe I said you used tanks,I don't have a problem with folks either way.I was leading up to a making a survival point for anyone interested in a way to fetch a meal without having to get wet.Free diving,scuba diving,or snorkeling are all good ways to get game,but for those who don't live where it's viable I was giving them another option.By the way,a previous poster commented they would not want to strap on tanks or go under water......that is who it's for!

And they said I couldn't use my Harley for diving...
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

And they said I couldn't use my Harley for diving...
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    In the four years I lived in Hawaii all I owned was a motorcycle. I dove 3-5 days a week. I did get some strange looks with wearing my tank with the rest of the gear strapped to the seat and luggage rack.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Haha mine was a joke but that's awesome crash!

image.jpgimage.jpg

Finally got on the water for the first time this year and got lizzy on the boat for the first time. She did good! Think she'll make a good bowfishing partner! Shot a flathead that had nasty sores on it . That's why I don't eat anything out of that river!

What is that!

Flathead catfish with herpie sores all over it!

You might be interested in this post on catfish with sores. Read the DNR responses. Especially the use of hand cleanser after handling.

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/fisheries...=catfish+ulcer
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Ok! Thanx for that, their nasty.

I'm a net/trap guy myself. I don't think that fishing, one at a time, personally, makes much sense. Too many calories burned/per likely return, too much time spent.

I would disagree. A lot depends on where you are fishing. Nothing like spearing a 40 lb Ling Cod in 15 feet of water after about 10 minutes in the water (not an isolated incident). Other places - you're right - net may be the way to go.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I was doing a Paramedic refresher course today and during lunch i'd thought i'd go to my happy place and watch some dive videos from last year. Something caught my eye. Almost 2,000 views and no one saw it until I caught it today a year later. Good feelings gone, no happy place. A *%$#ing Great White Shark lurking just out of eyesight. Watching me. Decided weather he wanted to eat me or not. WTF.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pip995u-Ww0
    I came across this video and thought of this thread. A spear fisherman off the east coast of Florida has a pucker moment with a great white. The area he is in has by far the greatest number of shark attacks of anywhere in the world. Just not usually great whites. Almost all fatal shark attacks in Florida waters are blamed on Bull and Tiger sharks.

Crap! Sharks are already on the list. Oh well, redundancy is good. I put them on the list AGAIN.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.