Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Spear fishing

Quote Originally Posted by RandyRhoads View Post
    What ridiculous laws...............
    Think about it for a minute. One, "non game" should be a no brainer.

Two, "certain seasons" are to keep you off the bed. They won't bite (they'll gingerly pick it up and move it), and ain't likely to move at all. Ducks in a barrel, is that the way it should be?
    Last edited by intothenew; 07-21-2013 at 08:52 PM.
    "They call us civilized because we are easy to sneak up on."- Lone Waite

In the state where the OP is posting from there are restrictions regarding spearfishing. Some fish have a very limited season, and if things haven't changed since I lived there your had to be scuba diving, snorkeling or floating to spearfish.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

No, Randy. I was referencing spear fishing not game fishing overall. California has a section on fresh water spearfishing that includes the type of fish, where and when they can be taken. See section 2.3 of your freshwater fishing regs.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/regulations/
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by intothenew View Post
    Think about it for a minute. One, "non game" should be a no brainer.

Two, "certain seasons" are to keep you off the bed. They won't bite (they'll gingerly pick it up and move it), and ain't likely to move at all. Ducks in a barrel, is that the way it should be?
    1- http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_fish
    Any fish pursued by recreational anglers.

No, it shouldn't be ducks in a barrel. Laws can restrict spearing in the seasons they are spawning/don't bite. Spearfishing is the most enviro friendly method of fishing, as well as extremely difficult and requires active hunting instead of just sitting on shore drinking a beer. Go try it out and please tell me how much it's like shooing ducks in a barrel in any season hahahaha, I beg you...

Rick- Besides MLPAs where no fish can be taken by any means, almost all ocean fish of legal size are fair game. The freshwater laws are tricky right now. Carp pike and other less desired fish are pretty open. This is the first year we finally got them to open striped bass in freshwater and some political bs is trying to stop it for reasons other than preservation issues. Sac county parks made it spears/spearguns illegal weapons that can't be taken there.
    Last edited by RandyRhoads; 07-22-2013 at 12:53 PM.

Ocean fishing is a bit limited here at the moment. If this whole global warming thing works out we might have ocean front property but that's still a few years out.

I get the ocean fishing thing. A little different spear than we're accustomed to here. Just a long stick with the ends flared is all we use. Either that or a gig. I don't know anyone with a spear gun.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Ocean fishing is a bit limited here at the moment. If this whole global warming thing works out we might have ocean front property but that's still a few years out.

I get the ocean fishing thing. A little different spear than we're accustomed to here. Just a long stick with the ends flared is all we use. Either that or a gig. I don't know anyone with a spear gun.
    Hahaha.

A quick google search showed that people do spear in Indiana.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_lgMPw5ABg

If you like hunting, spear fishing is an awesome portion of it most people never experience. Whole new tactics and strategies, crazy elements you don't have to deal with on land...like not being able to breathe...

Randy - There are two groups of folks I don't hang with. Those who willing jump out of perfectly good aircraft and those who put tanks on their back and actually put their heads below water. If God had intended me to do that stuff he would have given me wings and gills.

Randy - There are two groups of folks I don't hang with. Those who willing jump out of perfectly good aircraft and those who put tanks on their back and actually put their heads below water. If God had intended me to do that stuff he would have given me wings and gills.
    Being underwater is so very peaceful, You should try it . unless there are sharks, or gators around then its a little scarey
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Or giant catfish, snakes, snappin' turtles, huge shellfish, or piranha. Oh, and those little tiny fish that swim upstream in urine. Yeah....no.

Well that's good because we don't use tanks. Ever. That was all done breath holding, which god intended you to do because he gave you the mammalian dive reflex..
    Welder guy- Its hardly what I'd call piece full with darth vader bubble breathing in your ear on air tanks...
    Last edited by RandyRhoads; 07-23-2013 at 12:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RandyRhoads View Post
    Well that's good because we don't use tanks. Ever. That was all done breath holding, which god intended you to do because he gave you the mammalian dive reflex..
    Welder guy- Its hardly what I'd call piece full with darth vader bubble breathing in your ear on air tanks...
    I actually find the sound relaxing!
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Or giant catfish, snakes, snappin' turtles, huge shellfish, or piranha. Oh, and those little tiny fish that swim upstream in urine. Yeah....no.
    HAHAHAHA, you have a LOOOOONGGG list of things you dont wanna meet , dont ya?

Randy - Oh, pashaw. If he meant for you to hold your breath you wouldn't turn blue as a warning signal.

Dave - I would like to keep all my appendages in one piece. I carry a handgun because I can't tote a cannon.

Rick. Just as a side note on fish decoys. Back in the day of market hunters and fishermen, fish decoys were used alot as randyt said to attract fish under the ice. These decoys have now become highly collectable and many of them are considered pieces of art. Thought you might like to know.

Oldtrap
    Never claimed to be an expert. Just use or do what works for me.

First, USPA D4287 and PADI OWSI 11400 (both retired), etc., etc.

A salt water spearfishing lesson, somewhat related to the topic, on my very first skin dive with a short gun I shot at a barracuda and fortunately missed (according to my instructor). They apparently have a knack for following the line back toward you. I didn't try a second time.
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

Not sure about ur area but most places only "rough" fish are legal. Don't know much about spear fishing but bowfishing is another story. image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Do you eat rough fish and rays?

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger F View Post
    Not sure about ur area but most places only "rough" fish are legal. Don't know much about spear fishing but bowfishing is another story. image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
    Damn dude take me bow fishing with you...

How do you cook your carp? I love it, but the bones are a bit much.

Do you eat rough fish and rays?

Don't eat the carp, their fertilizer. The gar,and rays we usually eat some. The snakeheads are awesome, I'm not a big fish eater n we always fillet them n keep the meat. There's no fishy taste at all just white flaky meat

Where you located Ranger? Our canals down here in South Florida are loaded up with big snakeheads.