Thread: What are you preparing for?

Default What are you preparing for?

I am curious to see what others are preparing for. here is my list of what I am preparing for in order of importance and probability.

1. Tornados

2. extended unemployment

3. civil unrest

I think everything in between theses will be covered by the preps I have or adding.
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Quote Originally Posted by welderguy View Post
    I am curious to see what others are preparing for. here is my list of what I am preparing for in order of importance and probability.

1. Tornados

2. extended unemployment

3. civil unrest

I think everything in between theses will be covered by the preps I have or adding.
    #2 and #3. Those are most likely for me. I'd love to have a set of skills that will allow me to build a reasonably comfortable lifestyle in such as situation.

All the above? been through the tornado,living through the extended unemployment right now,and what sucks is,I cant draw unemployment because of how long I was off before they let me go... the thing is,I walked away from all my preps when I left/divorced y ex, and before I had surgery,I was building back my savings to have something to live off of and pay my bills with OTHER than the short and long term disability I paid for through work,but I ended up using that to put my youngest up in a motel until he could get an apartment after his dad refused to let him move back in and left him sitting at a fairgrounds with his belongings on a bicycle in the middle of December. Unfortunately, my son is like his dad,and never saved a penny towards an apartment, and I was the bad guy when I ran out of money to keep him in the motel...it was only supposed to be a week or 2,it would have been cheaper for me to have put him in an apartment. And I am still the bad guy to this day and his dad can't do no wrong.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Quote Originally Posted by nell67 View Post
    All the above? been through the tornado,living through the extended unemployment right now,and what sucks is,I cant draw unemployment because of how long I was off before they let me go... the thing is,I walked away from all my preps when I left/divorced y ex, and before I had surgery,I was building back my savings to have something to live off of and pay my bills with OTHER than the short and long term disability I paid for through work,but I ended up using that to put my youngest up in a motel until he could get an apartment after his dad refused to let him move back in and left him sitting at a fairgrounds with his belongings on a bicycle in the middle of December. Unfortunately, my son is like his dad,and never saved a penny towards an apartment, and I was the bad guy when I ran out of money to keep him in the motel...it was only supposed to be a week or 2,it would have been cheaper for me to have put him in an apartment. And I am still the bad guy to this day and his dad can't do no wrong.
    I can relate, I've been at that point 3 times now, I'm finally pulling myself back up to where i need to and want to be. I will be keeping you in my prayers and thoughts. You are a strong person I'm betting you will rebound sooner than you think.
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Civil unrest in Chicago (where we spend 1/2 our week till next year) - after all it is the gunshot capitol of the world.

Tornado- you bet; and really bad weather

Food shortages - need to get garden in next year at BOL - this year just container plantings.

Retirement - how to make our $$ last and be able to share

Learning necessary skills - shooting, better fishing, hunting
    But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD. Joshua 24:15

The Keweenaw Peninsula of upper Michigan, about the middle of the south shore of Lake Superior

Considering that I live along Lake Superior, my preparations are for 1. major blizzard, 2. economic collapse, 3. civil unrest. I live a long way from any major population centers, so number three is the least likely, although some of the locals are whacko! Being single and retired means fewer responsibilities to others, more options for mobility.

Quote Originally Posted by welderguy View Post
    I can relate, I've been at that point 3 times now, I'm finally pulling myself back up to where i need to and want to be. I will be keeping you in my prayers and thoughts. You are a strong person I'm betting you will rebound sooner than you think.
    You bet bub,I am taking advantage of my "downtime" to learn a career that will not be a pain in my neck or back,plus will pay more than I have ever earned.I will NOT be kept down,taking longer to get the medical issues resolved but that in part is because of how much time had lapsed from the time of the injury,until I was finally able to start getting it taken care of.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Quote Originally Posted by nell67 View Post
    You bet bub,I am taking advantage of my "downtime" to learn a career that will not be a pain in my neck or back,plus will pay more than I have ever earned.I will NOT be kept down,taking longer to get the medical issues resolved but that in part is because of how much time had lapsed from the time of the injury,until I was finally able to start getting it taken care of.
    Good to hear, Never too late to change careers.

Weather related events or man made events such as chemical/nuclear spill or accident, industrial accident or medical emergency such as flue pandemic.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Much the same as others on here.
    1) Economic problems
    2) chemical/biologic/nuclear releases in some form
    3) natural disasters

IMO the violent MOB problems could come from any of these or others.

Weather mainly.....tornados, flooding, drought (garden), and seems lately heat.
    Next would be civil/social unrest, and corresponding economic failure.
    Lastly would be the unknown......so fill in the blank.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Retirement (7 years from now). Living with my people (I'm pretty isolated now). Tutoring (I plan to do some of that when I retire to supplement my income.

I'm not prepping for disasters. I try to internalize what I learn so it becomes part of me so I'm not prepping - I'm prepped. Most of my prep work is cognitive. I was taught in ninjitsu that anything can be a weapon and the best weapon is the mind. I believe that also applies to prepping for disasters - know the world around you and anything can get you out of a bind.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

I'm not preparing for anything in particular. As a farm kid it's habit to put up for winter. I guess winter can mean different things to different people.

#1 earthquake #2 economic disaster #3 I'm not ruling out a zombi infestation.

Top of my list is weather related events which in turn really prepares me for much, much more.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

1 - Economic instability. Maybe it's due to my living in the Northeast and having fewer things happen here, but the weather or other occurrences are not my concern. I am more concerned with the way the economy has been developing in the last decade and the control that those that claim to be at the switch are lacking. This will feed into my other concern of others not being able to feed themselves and roaming for food to get by any means possible (if enough people can't get work to make an honest buck, no food pantry will help them). Being able to survive in such environment is very important to me.

2 - Social unrest. The Cold War is over and this country's guard level is down because they think that everything will be ok now, that's the mentality from the 90's that's still around. Yes, we've had 9/11, but with ObL dead, few Americans are concerned that they'll be impacted by actual acts of terror. Food supply disruption and budget issues that will prevent governments from paying their civil workers (especially the police), will increase the chances that there will be chaos and unrest. Cops are effective because 95% of the people will not take up arms against them. If enough throw caution to the wind, no amount of SWAT will do anything.

I would be primarily concerned with gang roaming streets, taking them over and setting up little kingdoms when central authority is weak. Being away from major population centers would ensure that most of this chaos would not affect me. However, should the dollar devalue enough, I wouldn't expect total breakdown in social order, but rather the slow erosion of it (similar to what happened in the countries of the former USSR). With insufficient funding to pay and properly train police, giving your officer $40 with your license -- for whatever reason you were stopped -- to making things go "smoother" wouldn't surprise me.

3 - Collapse of the standard of living. In the former USSR, people who did well in the system often found themselves completely ground into powder. They could not adapt, they either did not have the skills or the will to go forward. What you had was a depressing state of things that many people did whatever work just to survive. My wife's grandpa worked in a quarry. Up until the late 80's, everything was fine (the workers did the work they were instructed to do and got paid the rubles that they were expected to be paid, they could buy their bread and buy a house or get an apartment assigned to them). Then, everything went down-hill. At the moment, social and economic chaos is the norm. How do you defend against that? I want to have an answer to that question and implement it.

Were i live were weather seems to be the big issue. When Sandy and Drako (sp?) we have had extended power outages. Wind damage, downed trees, heavy snow, and flooding are top of the list. Lower down the list is forest fire and other concerns that we work on.

Even when we had power the fuel and food stores didn't. It was several days before You could pick up groceries. We all know when we are expecting severe weather the shelves clear early. Some times we can go a week with out power or get snowed in. Extra food stores in winter are common advice here.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.