Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A little boys dream is coming true!

Default A little boys dream is coming true!

I have been at my job for 23 yrs. My title is Quality Manager/ Manufacturing Engineer. I always want to do bigger and better things at work. When I walk through the building now with each step, I see things I have designed and fabricated. Thought I'd share my biggest dream coming true now. I stopped in today as this is my "baby"! Not one error from paper to construction so far!

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

Always nice to see your ideas come to life! I will have to admit I have no idea Im looking at.... sorry!
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Camp10 View Post
    Always nice to see your ideas come to life! I will have to admit I have no idea Im looking at.... sorry!
    It is an overhead conveyor for coating industrial battery trays up to 2000 lbs. along with a modular panel environmental room enclosing it. It isn't finished just getting started good! Must be done by August 8.
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

does it pass through the 4 separate paint booths as one process or are there 4 separate machines all doing the same job?
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein

Blog Entries

It's Saturday, Cowboy. Kick back and enjoy a cold beer. Or an iced tea. Or a hot coffee. You deserve it!
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Quote Originally Posted by Camp10 View Post
    does it pass through the 4 separate paint booths as one process or are there 4 separate machines all doing the same job?
    The first booth coats the interior with reclaimed paint from the other three...The product is hot at that point and it allows us to overcome the "Faraday cage effect". The other three coat the exterior with virgin paint at a 60% transfer efficiency. We have 18 colors, but the interior can be any color.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    It's Saturday, Cowboy. Kick back and enjoy a cold beer. Or an iced tea. Or a hot coffee. You deserve it!
    I got the cold beer and I am fixin to do some wings on the grill!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by COWBOYSURVIVAL View Post
    I can't even think about food. Not after what I had for dinner last night. I'm still stuffed.

And if you see this, BENESSE, I want to make sure you notice the zucchini and summer squash at 9:00 in the picture. See? I'm eating healthy now!

W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

Dayum! Ken, I just got wings...but I do know a little about Japanese sauces!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by COWBOYSURVIVAL View Post
    Cowboy, you got me thinking about wings now. How are you fixing them?
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

Blog Entries

Wait, you said Chicken Wings and Japanese sauces? You just brought me back to the 1964 World's Fair in New York.
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

It is good stuff! started when I met this short little oriental girl.....

Dang, Camp. I thought all that was pretty self explanatory by the pictures. If there had been 17 colors the whole thing would have moved in the other direction. Sheeeesh. Some guys.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Dang, Camp. I thought all that was pretty self explanatory by the pictures. If there had been 17 colors the whole thing would have moved in the other direction. Sheeeesh. Some guys.
    Never fails, our elders know it all!

Just for you Rick!

Sent: Tuesday, June 11, 2013 4:17 PM
    To: Dixon, Charles; Gerlt, David; Ferrell, Bob; Gerlt, Brian; Lloyd, Kenny
    Cc: Guillotte, Callie
    Subject: RE: Paint Line Re-arrangement Project

Update - All of the support structure has been built.

Paint, rolls, and brushes have been purchased for the support structure. = $65.98

The conveyor mounting hardware and floor anchors have been ordered. = $170.37

The below items will complete the overhead conveyor.

(Kenny) Please arrange to have the below items cut on the saw.

Items to be saw cut-
    · (2) units 1 ½” X 3”-.25” thick channel 168.625” Long

· (2) units 1 ½” X 3”-.25” thick channel 240” Long

· (2) units 1 ½” X 3”-.25” thick channel 91.25” Long

Sent: Friday, June 07, 2013 10:13 AM

The below support structure will begin assembly tomorrow morning.

Sent: Thursday, June 06, 2013 4:15 PM

Update-The below material has been cut. Arrangements are being made to begin welding the support structure.

Sent: Monday, June 03, 2013 4:26 PM

Kenny,

The below will need to be saw cut.

· VERTICAL SUPPORTS = (17) units 4”X4” -.250 thick Sq. Tubing, 96” long

· HORIZONTAL SUPPORT “A” = (4) units 4”X4” -.250” thick Sq. Tubing, 56” long

· HORIZONTAL SUPPORT “B” = (3) units 4”X4” - .250” thick Sq. Tubing, 93” long

· HORIZONTAL SUPPORT “C” = (2) units 4”X4” - .250” thick Sq. Tubing, 89” long

· HORIZONTAL SUPPORT “D” = (1) units 4”X4” - .250” thick Sq. Tubing, 71.375” long

Please label accordingly, see me with any questions.

Sent: Monday, June 03, 2013 2:31 PM
    To: 'Dixon, Charles'; 'Gerlt, David'; 'Ferrell, Bob'; 'Gerlt, Brian'; 'Lloyd, Kenny'
    Cc: 'Guillotte, Callie'

Callie,

The items ordered in the previous message were received on 5/31.

6/3/2013 - Purchasing was issued a requisition for the following items to be ordered. These items will be received in the beginning of July.

· (1) unit 8500 Series 48” radius X 90 deg. Horizontal free line curve = $665.00

· (1) unit 8500 Series 24” radius X 45 deg. Horizontal free line curve = $398.44

· (1) unit 8500 Series 24” radius X 45 deg. Horizontal Hand Manually Operated Free Line Switch = $2,034.40

Total = $3,097.84

Sent: Thursday, May 09, 2013 11:33 AM

Callie,

The following items have been ordered with intent of receiving some or all of the items in May. I will keep you posted as they are received.

· (4) units 8500 Series 48” radius X 90 deg. Horizontal free line curve = $2,660.00

Sent: Friday, May 03, 2013 3:28 PM

Callie,

Please apply the following Baan Inventory to the project in May, the below material was ordered and has been received in May.

• 100 ft. of 4”X4”-.250” Sq. tubing (baan#326314) @ $6.96 per ft. – Total= $696.00
    • 120 ft. of 3 ½”X1 ½” X.250” channel (baan#326251)@ $2.75 per ft. – Total= $330.00

This will complete all of the Baan items to be applied to the project.

Thanks,
    David S.

Sent: Friday, April 26, 2013 1:46 PM

Callie,

We will begin planning and purchasing materials and components for option D today.

Please apply the following Baan inventory to the project today before month end. The below material is in inventory as of 4/26 and should be applied to the project.

· 200 ft. of 4”X4”-.250” Sq. tubing (baan#326314) @ $7.30 per ft. – Total= $1,460.00

· 2 sheets of 33”X120”-3ga.(baan#326133) @ $102.00 per sheet – Total= $204.00

Total applied against budget in April = $1,664.00

See me with any questions.

Thanks,
    David S.

Sent: Tuesday, April 23, 2013 2:32 PM
    Subject: Paint Line Re-arrangement Project

All,

We have all of the needed quotations. Below are material cost estimates.

• The greater cost options will require less time/labor.

• The lower cost options will require increased time/labor to offset cost.

• Due to 4 week lead times on purchased parts, the timing would allow for manufactured parts and purchased parts to be ready at the same time.

• Moving the switch lowers cost but also decreases flexibility with RP/SP products that do not require interior and exterior application.

• Adding a switch allows RP/SP to route around the interior booth.

I would suggest Option D, for greater flexibility and greatest return on investment.

Option A – Move Switch/Manufacture Support Structure
    · (3) units free line straight track x 20’ long = $1,665.00

· (5) units 8500 Series 48” radius X 90 deg. Horizontal free line curve = $3,325.00

· (7) Manufactured Support Structure -$2,190.00 (15) 4”X4”-.250” Sq. tubing (baan#326314) /$102 - 1 sheet 33”X120”-3ga.(baan#326133) = $2,292.00 (*Does not include labor or laser, saw time, or weld time)

Total = $7,282.00

Option B – Add Switch/ Manufacture Support Structure
    · (3) units free line straight track x 20’ long = $1,665.00

· (5) units 8500 Series 48” radius X 90 deg. Horizontal free line curve = $3,325.00

· (1) unit 24” radius x 45 degree left hand manually operated free line switch = $2034.40

· (1) unit 8500 Series 24” radius X 45 deg. Horizontal free line curve = $398.44

· (7) Manufactured Support Structure -$2,190.00 (15) 4”X4”-.250” Sq. tubing (baan#326314) /$102 - 1 sheet 33”X120”-3ga.(baan#326133) = $2,292.00 (*Does not include labor or laser, saw time, or weld time)

Total = $9,714.84

Option C – Move Switch/Manufacture free line straight track/ Manufacture Support Structure
    • (3) Manufactured units free line straight track x 20’ long = $246-channel material (baan#326251) /$102 - 1 sheet 33”X120”-3ga.(baan#326133)- Total=$348 (*Does not include labor or laser time, or weld time)

• (5) units 8500 Series 48” radius X 90 deg. Horizontal free line curve = $3,325.00

• (7) Manufactured Support Structure -$2,190.00 (15) 4”X4”-.250” Sq. tubing (baan#326314) /$102 - 1 sheet 33”X120”-3ga.(baan#326133) = $2,292.00 (*Does not include labor or laser, saw time, or weld time)

Total = $ 5,965

Option D – Add Switch/Manufacture free line straight track/ Manufacture Support Structure
    • (3) Manufactured units free line straight track x 20’ long = $246-channel material (baan#326251) /$102 - 1 sheet 33”X120”-3ga.(baan#326133)- Total=$348 (*Does not include labor or laser time, or weld time)

• (5) units 8500 Series 48” radius X 90 deg. Horizontal free line curve = $3,325.00

• (1) unit 24” radius x 45 degree left hand manually operated free line switch = $2034.40

• (1) unit 8500 Series 24” radius X 45 deg. Horizontal free line curve = $398.44

• (7) Manufactured Support Structure - $2,190.00(15) 4”X4”-.250” Sq. tubing (baan#326314) /$102 - 1 sheet 33”X120”-3ga.(baan#326133) = $2,292.00 (*Does not include labor or laser, saw time, or weld time)

Total = $ 8,397.84

Well I thought everyone knew what an overhead conveyor for coating industrial battery trays up to 2000 lbs. along with a modular panel environmental room enclosing it was.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Are you sure that's the correct baan#?

Blog Entries

Well I thought everyone knew what an overhead conveyor for coating industrial battery trays up to 2000 lbs. along with a modular panel environmental room enclosing it was.
    You missed the point. Cowboy cleverly made it known that you're OLDER THAN THE REST OF US HERE. Even Sarge.
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

Are you sure that's the correct baan#?
    Yes Sir, I am!

And your point is? Methuselah wishes he was as old as me. Who do you think did the manual stuff when the earth and heavens were made? I was the only one with a headlamp before the famous, "Let there be light" words were uttered. Frankly, I think he got the idea from me.