Thread: Strengthening wood in the wild

Default Strengthening wood in the wild

Hi there,

I'm currently living in a tent in the woods of Nova Scotia. Lately there have been a few coyotes and a bobcat poking their heads around. They don't seem too interested in me other then walking by, taking a look and continuing on their way. But just to be safe I am making a couple of wooden spears and daggers. My question is what can I do without store bought products to strengthen the wood so it is less likely to snap?

Fire harden the tips.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Here's a good vid that shows you how to harden as well as how to make two different types of tips.

You can also mix pine sap and charcoal from your fire to make a glue and use it along with some natural cordage to attach a stone point if you know how to knap stone.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I would prefer a stone war club. We use to through them at squirrels, etc. I think my brother hit one out of hundreds of throws!
    Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth.

My stone knapping skills are mediocre at best, but it's definitely something worth trying. Thanks for the tips, and the video. This helps a lot.

Blog Entries

Just curious.... How are you getting internet service living in a tent in the woods in Nova Scotia? Smartphone? Sat phone? Solar battery chargers?

You may also want to give some thought to setting up a small perimeter around your tent.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

If the coyotes and bobcats know you are around, they won't come in so close. Hang some dirty laundry around camp. A litttle dog would probably keep them back. They could eat the little dog if you aren't close though, but they won't bother you. A good strong stick or spear is handy and comforting maybe. Your best bet is to choose a stick that is already strong and there isn't any way to make it stronger except to dry it to make it stiffer as with the point.
    I assume you are collecting firewood regularly. So just pick up a bunch of sticks about spear size and break them into firewood by sticking them between two trees growing together and walking in a circle. When you find the stick that is the right size and doesn't want to break then that is your spear. It will be a hardwood. You will break one inch aspen or popple with your hands and you don't want that.

Ken - yes, I have a smartphone with a solar battery charger. But I do head into town too and get a quick charge sometimes

Edr - sounds like a good way to find a strong spear. Yeah they know I'm around, but they don't bother me at all. I'm not too worried, but as yousaid, ppeace of mind. I would rather play it safe than just trust that they have no interest in me.

I'd have a pistol, period, or not be out there. the main threat is people, and spears/clubs aint worth much vs people.

Quote Originally Posted by senna View Post
    I'd have a pistol, period, or not be out there. the main threat is people, and spears/clubs aint worth much vs people.
    Prior to firearms what was used in battle?
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Hand gun possession in the woods is quite well defined here. You’re either a peace officer, a conservation officer and for whatever reason the next guy is the one you don’t turn your back on.