Thread: Today in History - 1969

Blog Entries

Default Today in History - 1969

A Tale of Political Corruption, Favoritism, and a Public Too Stupid to Comprehend It All.

The story broke 44 years ago today, with news reports of a car wreck that killed 28-year-old Mary Jo Kopechne. Edward M. Kennedy, the Distinguished United States Senator from Massachusetts, most probably stinking drunk as usual, drove his car off a bridge on Chappaquiddick Island, causing the drowning death of a young campaign assistant. Kennedy then walked past several nearby homes and made his way back to his hotel room in Edgartown, on the island of Martha's Vineyard. He fell asleep in his comfortable bed while Mary Jo's body remained submerged in Kennedy's car. He woke up the next morning, took a shower, and sat down, freshly dressed, to enjoy breakfast and read the Boston Globe while waiting for his lawyers and aides to arrive. Only then were authorities notified of the accident.

For reasons I will never comprehend, this piece of $hit is still idolized by a majority of Massachusetts residents.

"In January 1970, an inquest into Kopechne's death was held in Edgartown, Massachusetts. At the request of Kennedy's lawyers, the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court ordered the inquest be conducted in secret. The presiding judge, James A. Boyle, concluded that some aspects of Kennedy's story of that night were not true, and that negligent driving "appears to have contributed to the death of Mary Jo Kopechne". A grand jury on Martha's Vineyard conducted a two-day investigation in April 1970 but issued no indictment, after which Boyle made his inquest report public. Kennedy deemed its conclusions "not justified". Questions about the Chappaquiddick incident generated a large number of articles and books over the next several years." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_Kennedy

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

The old axium - Ted Kennedy has killed more people than my guns.
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

I have lived in MA. all my life,Ken.
    And have despised this politician since I heard the story of Chappaquiddick.
    Voted against him every time since I was old enough to vote.

Blog Entries
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by letslearntogether47 View Post
    I have lived in MA. all my life,Ken.
    And have despised this politician since I heard the story of Chappaquiddick.
    Voted against him every time since I was old enough to vote.
    You're one of the minority who get it.
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

In other news.

HONG KONG (Reuters) - The daughter of kung fu legend Bruce Lee spoke fondly on Friday of her father's powerful presence and energy at a preview of an exhibition to mark the 40th anniversary of his death.

On another note for today in history:

1909 - The first unassisted triple play in major-league baseball was made by Cleveland Indians shortstop Neal Ball in a game against Boston. “Yer out! Yer out! And you, sir, are out number three!”
    "Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us"

Blog Entries

The umpires sucked!
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

Banned
    Blog Entries

Ted was a "CandyMan"........Voters love the CandyMen.

And in other other other other news...Rick had lunch and it's really hot....nothing else to report.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Teddy Kennedy. Massachusetts' and Democrats' all time favorite lifeguard.

S.M.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    And in other other other other news...Rick had lunch and it's really hot....nothing else to report.

How hot is it?

BTW - I just got home and FINALLY took off my tie and my LONG SLEEVE shirt and my suit. I had a pleasant 5 minute walk from court to my car. It felt like I was getting roasted in a steam bath.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Last edited by Ken; 07-19-2013 at 02:30 PM.
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

Quote Originally Posted by Ken
    How hot is it?
    68 I think. I'll have to check the thermostat.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

My computer says it's 93 in my town.But the thermometer outside say 100 deg.
    Ok,this thread is derailed.lol

It is 98° F. here but the humidity is about 3%.

Come on out, Ken. At least you won't have to sweat so much.

S.M.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Banned

It has been unseasonably cool here most of this week, with mid to upper 80's for highs. Today 91° with 35% relative humidity.

73 right now. They expect it to be back up to 92 tomorrow with plenty of humility (it's quite humorous in Alabama this time of year.) We've actually had it pretty good this year - it usually goes three or four weeks between rain but we've been getting showers sever times a week this year.

I wish I could say I can't understand why people like Kennedy gets re-elected over and over but I do. He gives people what they want and he does good press, and his family does even better press (I've heard the Kennedy's referred to as "beautiful people - no accounting for some peoples' taste.) All forms of government have weaknesses - for democracy, it's good-old-boyism.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

On this day in:

1969 first moon landing

1976 first mars landing

July 20, 2013 forcast for Clewiston, Fl where I will be camping at Dinner Island tonight:

Mostly cloudy this morning. Scattered thunderstorms developing this afternoon.
    High 87F. Winds SE at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 50%.

The oak hammocks we camp in channel that breeze. The shade and that breeze will make it feel like the mid 70's.