Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How......"CLUELESS" are YOU......REALLY.....???

Quote Originally Posted by Hobobum View Post
    No one individual owns the wilderness . The State of California claims it . It is the property of the people of America .
    I was deep in the wilderness not a horse nor machine could reach me (except a chopper) on foot was the only way to get where I was . I was avoiding nothing , just a young man on an extended camping trip , an adventure . Jeez , lighten up .
    how ever you have to justify it to make it sound right. In my opinion as well as most states laws, its illegal. But hey what ever.
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

you are correct in stating that it is illegal and I do stand guilty of over staying my issued 21 day permit and will submit to whatever punishment the great state of California chooses to impose on me . It was worth it , I learned alot about self sufficiency and survival skills as well as boredom , wish there were cell phones and satellite tv back then and decent solar panels..................

you are correct in stating that it is illegal and I do stand guilty of over staying my issued 21 day permit and will submit to whatever punishment the great state of California chooses to impose on me . It was worth it , I learned alot about self sufficiency and survival skills as well as boredom , wish there were cell phones and satellite tv back then and decent solar panels..................
    I see there was an omission of facts on your part and an assumption on mine by not asking the right question, sorry about that, having a permit is in no way classified as squatting, over staying by a few days i'm betting is overlooked as an Oh well no problem situation. It is a learning experience and it does make you appreciate certain comforts we take for granted.
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

I agree , and good quality equipment along with the knowledge to use it properly in a true survival situation can definately give you that edge to save life .

I agree , and good quality equipment along with the knowledge to use it properly in a true survival situation can definately give you that edge to save life .
    Absolutely!!!

Well, you overstayed your permit by about a 1 year and 5 months. LOL. That's pretty close to squatting if you ask me. Frankly, I don't care one way or the other.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Well, you overstayed your permit by about a 1 year and 5 months. LOL. That's pretty close to squatting if you ask me. Frankly, I don't care one way or the other.
    The intentions were good tho.

The only time I've ever been a squatter was when a cat hole was involved. But that's a bunch of crap for another thread.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Your right , there is a fine line there and then it's just up to how the individual wants to construe it , Learning or squatting ? I read a quote somewhere in these forums "the more you know the less you have to carry" . I can with the knowledge gained from that "Learning" experience go into the wilderness with very little and in a short time be living some what comfortably given the situation at hand . Just having confidence in yourself and your abilities to survive and adapt in an extreme situation gives you winning edge .

What you need to have depends on the situation , geographical location and the individual , as for myself , I put myself in the wilderness of my choice , the Yalla Bolly Middle eel Wilderness , I was not lost nor stranded it was just the closest remote place near my residence in Redding Ca. at the time . I could have chosen any equipment I wanted to take . So I wouldn't consider this an actual survival situation , for me it was an adventure , I was only 23 and always liked the lifestyle of old Grizzly Adams so I chose to live it for awhile minus all the drama . As for equipment I had very little , an old army tent some guns a machette , seed packs , rope , knives , clothing , gunpowder(bullseye) a reloading machine , a box of paperbacks , a wilderness survival book , had my own company not gotten so boring I would have stayed indefinately , Never the less I lived well for the 17 months I was there .
    You carried a reloading press, a box of paperbacks as well as everything else into the wilderness? You either weren't that far in or made lots of trips. I did a summer back in 1993 along the Hudson river in the Adirondacks back when I thought I was ready for it all. I lived through it. Sadly, I had to leave the box of books behind to have room in my pack for the first aid kit my mom insisted I bring.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein

Just had an interesting experience a couple of weeks ago. Got a small backpacking teapot to use instead of the Ti cup I have been using with my stove. Worked well at my work trailer (both on the trailer stove and on my pack stove). Used it while I was up a bit in elevation, and it used almost an entire canister of fuel to boil. I might need to play with this a bit to work the kinks our. Or just abandon the idea entirely.
    Have Lights? Thank a Lineman!
    "Being prepared is sometimes inconvenient, but not being prepared is always inconvenient." - Fred Choate

Quote Originally Posted by Camp10 View Post
    You carried a reloading press, a box of paperbacks as well as everything else into the wilderness? You either weren't that far in or made lots of trips. I did a summer back in 1993 along the Hudson river in the Adirondacks back when I thought I was ready for it all. I lived through it. Sadly, I had to leave the box of books behind to have room in my pack for the first aid kit my mom insisted I bring.
    I had a friend drop me off at a spot called Fish Creek in Mendocino National Forest . (tried spear fishing here). This location was a random drop off point , my friend had to get back to Redding it was already dark , I unloaded my gear and made camp for the night . The next morning I started scouting for a more suitable and remote location after securing all the "stuff to hump up the mountains" that I saw only as a burden at the moment , (later I would become very thankful of every item I brought and regretful of the many I did not) a couple of weeks later and many trips back to Fish Creek I found myself at my first of several "Base Camps" many miles from Fish Creek with no sign of civilization . Perfect . Too bad about the books you had to ditch mine helped me through some sleepless cold nights .

It also helps to be "rawhide tough". Use to be, haven't had to test that recently.
    Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth.

No one individual owns the wilderness . The State of California claims it . It is the property of the people of America .
    I was deep in the wilderness not a horse nor machine could reach me (except a chopper) on foot was the only way to get where I was . I was avoiding nothing , just a young man on an extended camping trip , an adventure . Jeez , lighten up .
    I agree 100% and am glad to hear you got to do that. As long as you're not one of those smelly Mendo hippies that no one wants on their land, and you WERE in fact waaaaay removed with no one around. More power to you. They've made it pretty much impossible to go wilderness it up anywhere. Now I try to obey the laws, but sometimes they're just too much.

he says he brought reloading equipment were u poaching too

SD, I'm not sure what you mean by "testing" your gear. If it's on me and I'm out in the woods, than I'm already counting on it to work. Is that a test?

Everything degrades and breaks eventually. Firesteels, knife blades, sharpening stones, all wear and will eventually wear away to nothing.

Maybe I'm .....REALLY...." CLUELESS"....?
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

lol. yeah, like you will dare make all that noise or will survive being seen moving around, if shtf, right? maybe if you live in some really REMOTE part of Alaska or Canada. everywhere else, people in rural areas better get ready to hide from the desperate city folks. Cause they outnumber you by 30 to 1, and yes, they can reach you, via motorcycle boat and on foot, quite easily and in a very few days.

My family and I no longer go camping. Now we go on 'T&E" trips. Test & evaluation trips, where everything, new and old is tested and evaluated and inspected for wear and tare, replaced as needed. We also make sure we are proficient in usage of all equipment on hand. And no, I'm still not on top of everything.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Good for you, well done. (Rep point sent)

Quote Originally Posted by BUSH View Post
    My family and I no longer go camping. Now we go on 'T&E" trips. Test & evaluation trips, where everything, new and old is tested and evaluated and inspected for wear and tare, replaced as needed. We also make sure we are proficient in usage of all equipment on hand. And no, I'm still not on top of everything.