Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 4,000 gallons in 48 hours

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I would have but they registered the 8th and didn't spam until the 18th. So I'm going with the, "Oops, I didn't know 'bout that", story.
    I honestly didn't know that posting a relevant url that gives clear and free instructions on how to build an inexpensive water tank was off limits or against the rules. I figured relevant sources were ok. But, don't worry, I won't be posting any links on this forum, again.

again, sorry for offending you guys, it won't happen again.
    Last edited by velacreations; 07-20-2013 at 01:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by velacreations View Post
    I honestly didn't know that posting a relevant url that gives clear and free instructions on how to build an inexpensive water tank was off limits or against the rules. But, don't worry, I won't be posting any links on this forum, again.

again, sorry for offending you guys, it won't happen again.
    links are fine as long as there not spam. If that wasnt the intention then you have nothing to worry about.
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Quote Originally Posted by welderguy View Post
    links are fine as long as there not spam. If that wasnt the intention then you have nothing to worry about.
    I guess spam is different for everyone, but to me, linking to a page that doesn't sell anything and gives instructions for making a rainwater tank is relevant and not spam.

But, apparently, that's not the case, here. Spam seems to be defined as any link to a website/blog maintained by the OP. That's fine, I'm not here to offend anyone, I just didn't know I couldn't link to my site, cause that's where the relevant information was. I shared it in case anyone wanted to know how we built our catchment tank.

Obviously, folks didn't like that, so I won't be doing it anymore.

I guess spam is different for everyone, but to me, linking to a page that doesn't sell anything and gives instructions for making a rainwater tank is relevant and not spam.

But, apparently, that's not the case, here. Spam seems to be defined as any link to a website/blog maintained by the OP. That's fine, I'm not here to offend anyone, I just didn't know I couldn't link to my site, cause that's where the relevant information was. I shared it in case anyone wanted to know how we built our catchment tank.

Obviously, folks didn't like that, so I won't be doing it anymore.
    What is perfectly fine is you can put your website in your signature, that way it is there all the time. and that is acceptable to everyone.
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Quote Originally Posted by welderguy View Post
    What is perfectly fine is you can put your website in your signature, that way it is there all the time. and that is acceptable to everyone.
    yeah, that's cool. My site has hundreds of pages and tons of how-tos, so it is a bit inconvenient for someone that wants to jump straight to the relevant information.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Interesting information....as you profile doesn't state where you are, I assuming this is an important aspect of your life style and preps.....or Business?

I do use a small water collection system for a remote shower and wash station....and there is a Straw bale off grid home a 1/2 mile away....am some what versed in principal.
    Mother Nature seems to not play fair all the time?....too much or too little?
    We are in the Chihuahuan desert, and only get rain from July through October. We have no other water source than rain catchment on our property. So, yes, it is a big deal for us, and through many years of buying tanks, building tanks from several materials, we've got it down to the cheapest, long lasting water tank you can put together in this size range. If folks have access to old silos, they could drop a liner into one of those, and possible get a big catchment tank for really cheap.

We just went from January to July without much rain, and then all of a sudden, 7" in the last 3 days. So yeah, it's either too much or not enough!
    Living off grid - guides for the off grid lifestyle in the modern age
    Homesteading - latest updates and projects from our off grid homestead
    Flickr Photos - all of our project photos

It's spelled out in the forum rules.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ules-amp-Staff

If you post links then 6 months down the road decide to start advertising and selling equipment your links are still on the forum. To prevent that and to keep folks from joining just to post links we have the no link policy. You are welcome to post links to other sites you don't have an interest in or cut and past the relevant information from your site to here. You just can't post the link.

We like to razz each other a bit too.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

cut and past the relevant information from your site to here. You just can't post the link.
    wait, what?
    so, someone can copy and paste stuff from copyrighted material and not include a link to the source, and that's ok? but linking to a real-life relevant page is not ok?

Seems kinda backwards. I would think you would want to encourage people to link to sources and credible information.

If you post links then 6 months down the road decide to start advertising and selling equipment your links are still on the forum.
    well, at that point, it could be considered spam, but until then, it wouldn't be spam, right? But that can go for any link, really, web sites change all the time.

I understand what you are saying about not wanting spam, and I support that, but saying a link to the OP's site is automatically spam is somewhat ridiculous. Certainly, if a link/resource is on-topic and provides a genuine FREE benefit to the topic at hand, it can't be considered spam. It just seems like a short-sighted policy that limits beneficial information to your members.

I won't post any urls on here, so I don't offend anyone else, but I think you should review your policy a bit concerning what you label as "spam".
    Last edited by velacreations; 07-20-2013 at 05:27 PM.

Blog Entries

I understand what you are saying......
    Vela, have you ever called for a pizza delivery?
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Oddmott View Post
    Ummmm.... can i borrow some "random parts"... puhleeze?
    Well, I still have those two jet engines in the corner and that box of gold leaf on the shelf. And there's that centrifuge still in the box and that crate full of electronic parts that got delivered to the house by mistake last year. And those chemicals. All of those chemicals.....
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

If you post from your own material then it's not copyright infringement so no link is required. If you don't like the rules then don't participate. Simply really.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

If you post from your own material then it's not copyright infringement so no link is required. If you don't like the rules then don't participate. Simply really.
    I still want to know if he's ever called for a pizza delivery.
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

Velacreations - let me explain the reason for the rule. When you said
    well, at that point, it could be considered spam, but until then, it wouldn't be spam, right?
    you are correct. The problem then becomes deleting those links. They all have to be tracked down one at a time and that can range from extremely difficult to all but impossible.

As has been suggested - you can put a link to your info in your signature. It will then show up every time you post. If, as in the above example, it turns to something inappropriate - I can delete your signature very easily.

Not all that spam do so to make money. Some do it to generate traffic to their site. If that is a goal (not saying it is your goal) then those individuals should contact the owner of this site to inquire about advertising.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

can I link to a photo gallery on Flickr? It's not my site, but has some of my content there, especially for something like this water cistern. It is a pain to have to go through the photos and reupload to the thread, but it would be easy to do a link

Can I link to the whole set of photos like this (delete if inappropriate):
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/velacre...7631466249540/

and can I read in some like this:
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Last edited by velacreations; 07-20-2013 at 08:01 PM.

Yes. Photos and videos are OK.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Yes. Photos and videos are OK.
    ok, cool, thanks

That's the link to the full photo gallery of how we build our tanks. The cost is low for the amount of gallons you can store, and if you cut off the light and include a potable liner, you can have a decent water supply, even in areas that don't get rain very often (like us).

It's a simple process, you level an area with compacted sand. Put down a base of bricks or something for the metal walls to sit on. Assemble your walls, and drop in a liner (we use vinyl billboard tarps for an under layer. We include a seat for the roof to sit on, basically angle iron. For the roof, it is 3/4" PVC to form a dome. We cover this with a billboard tarp and orchard netting. Then goes on the latex concrete coating, first pure cement+acrylic, then 2 coats with sand.

Drop in your fittings, and you're ready to go.

It's a simple way to build a tank and cost us under $2K for a bit over 6,000 gallons (including labor). In our climate and roof size, that takes about 6 inches of rain to fill.

In our area, the black poly tanks are about $600 for 1,000 gallons.

Concrete cisterns can be made, but the cost will be higher, mainly because of the floor pour. We can put one of these tanks up in a week or 2.

We have 2 of these tanks, and then a barn tank that is square. It doesn't have a roof yet, but we used a different liner, it's a fish-safe EPDM pond liner. It's even cheaper, for watering gardens or animals.

Here's the final thing:

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    not in about 15 years. Sometimes I wish I could, but the closest place is about 2 hours away, and I don't think they deliver to the mountains.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Sodium, I've been tryin' to tell ya'. It's especially bad when water is at a premium.

..............Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Maybe I'm missing it, but you are not collecting from the roof of the containment, is that intentional? We're talkin' pints here, right?
    "They call us civilized because we are easy to sneak up on."- Lone Waite

Quote Originally Posted by intothenew View Post
    Maybe I'm missing it, but you are not collecting from the roof of the containment, is that intentional? We're talkin' pints here, right?
    yeah, we do, the roof sits on the angle iron inside the rim of the walls. It catches about 120 gallons per inch of rain. Not a whole lot, but still something.

Well I'm glad we got the details straightened out, the ability to see , hear about specific information is always valuable.
    The rub comes when people join up just to push a product....then move on with a "No I don't answer questions, it's all on our site....so go to www whatever..."

My little camper/shed/camp just used a roof, gutter barrels system , mostly for showers and washing up....still works well.

Fact is there is 800ft of river frontage, a "stock well", 27 ft. driven point with hand pump,....and now a 190ft cased state inspected and legal pump/bury tank system/plumbing that drain back for winter.

The straw bale, off grid home up on the ridge, found that a 650 to 1200 ft well costly so uses a roof collection system and a 3000 gal cistern that is in a lower lever in the house...and seems to have enough mass that doesn't freeze.
    Does have a solar heater/circulation pump that runs and helps with possible problems....but winter freeze up generally is a problem in Wisconsin....if you don't deal with it.

Is sediment and purification a problem.........I do a barrel flush and use chlorine....to treat, but is only 100 gal capacity.
    I also use a filter when pumping form catchment barrel to use barrel....they are separate.....and that helps.

So any way, Welcome.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27