Thread: Practicing wilderness survival

Red face Practicing wilderness survival

I don't necessarily want to live in the middle of nowhere in any sort of abandoned bus, cabin, or wood structure(though I know how to build one). I have been camping since I was very young and I've gotten into it a lot lately. I carry my external backpack with gallon plastic bags, trash bags, vegetables, eggs and meats in a cooler pouch. I carry flint, a towel, knife, 200 yards of para cord, a lightweight frying pan, butter, and a tent. Just little multiple-use items and some cooking supplies.

What are some exercises I could do while relatively primitive camping to better my wilderness survival skills?

Blog Entries

Try to learn how to identify and prepare local wild edibles. Many areas have programs, instructors, and resources that will assist you.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Carry a map of the area you're in, a compass and learn how to read them. Let someone know where you'll be before you leave. That would be a good start.

Both great ideas thanks! Im currently reading a book by Bradford Angier, about edible plants. But I can't seem to find any books on inedible.. Do you think theres a book somewhere that tells you both?

Blog Entries

Cool Hmmmm...

Just thinking out loud here but my thinking is that anything not listed in the book is not edible until proven otherwise. While wild edibles can help a bit, there use as a primary food source is negligible at best. Also they are seasonal as well so I don't pay a whole lot of attention...unless it's Morel season of course. I may have missed it but I didn't see anything in your op about fishing, trapping, or hunting. Fish and game are also great additions to the pot.....
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

I'm a pretty good bowman, but I don't know how to make arrows by hand.. Which would e handy in case some break and/or get lost. I do have a hunting license. But no fishing license, that's a separate license altogether?
    And I have no idea how to trap. I'm trying to learn what Ican about it online but I might need to learn from experience..

Blog Entries

Cool well now...

Quote Originally Posted by Soicanlive View Post
    I'm a pretty good bowman, but I don't know how to make arrows by hand.. Which would e handy in case some break and/or get lost. I do have a hunting license. But no fishing license, that's a separate license altogether?
    And I have no idea how to trap. I'm trying to learn what Ican about it online but I might need to learn from experience..
    There are many tutorials on YouTube about snares, check out the videos from the Pathfinder School put out by David Canterbury. If you've done any fishing put together your own "emergency fishing kit. about 20 to 50 feet of mono filament fishing line wrapped around a couple of small nails, some weights, and some hooks. Yes, you'll need a fishing license, but make sure you get everything you need on it. Trout Stamp, etc. Fishing is fun in it's own right and you can also learn how to make great fish dinners in camp in the process. Just a couple of ideas for you.....
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

I would say, take your kit....do a couple of over night-ers....that will tell you if what you carry is useful, and what is not.
    I didn't see a blanket, rain wear/poncho, water filter/purification method or first aid kit on your list.

Add some Bic lighters...(4 for a buck at the dollar store)......

When you set up camp, make your fire with your flint...if that isn't working out, use the lighter.

Look around in you camp area.......is it safe from water run off, tree limbs that might fall, level, water near my, what plants are near by...use you book to try to find and identify at least one new one each time.

That's a start.......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

You can purchase a combination license in Indiana, which is cheaper than buying a separate hunting and fishing license. They normally expire in April of each year. You can purchase them online and they will mail the license to you.

http://www.in.gov/ai/appfiles/dnr-license/

Practice the basic items that will keep you alive.

Fire
    Water
    Shelter

Once you have those mastered then you can move on to other items.

Turkey Run is pretty close to you as is Salamonie. Both are nice spots. I happen to like Turkey Run more simply because it offers more woods and a more rugged terrain. Check in at the Ranger station if you go to either one and talk to them about any presentations they are giving. I caught a nice debris shelter preso at Clifty Falls a couple of years ago. You can always learn something even if you have mastered whatever they are presenting.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.