Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: abandoned cabins in alaska

Default help-abandoned cabins in alaska

hay.
    looking for abandoned cabins in remote areas in alaska.as far away from people.
    i have no problem to fix one.im planning to go to alaska in april 2013 . to bring necessary equipment
    for wilderness living and to fix a cabin. the plan is to stay there as long as i can.
    i preffer that the cabin will be close to a lake because my plans for food is mostly based on fishing in the summer. and to smoke my own fish and meat for the winter.
    the only problem is that i dont know any locations of cabins i can use and fix.most cabins that i searched in the internet are for rental with electricity wich is far from what i want.
    can anybody help me?
    Last edited by nirz; 07-14-2013 at 10:41 AM.

Have you tried asking the Alaska DNR? I think you can go stake out plots of land up there still, but then you must contact the DNR to do a land appraisal for you, and then you have to purchase it for market rate.

Here is their website: dnr (dot) alaska (dot) gov/mlw/landsale/

(sorry I'm new to forum so I can't post URL's just yet )

actually im low on money..that is why i wanted to find an abandoned one.so i can fix it and not to purchase land or an old cabin

Abandoned does not equal free. Good luck with that.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

Sorry don't know of any....
    Good luck with that.....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

i uderstand it will cost money...im trying to find the cheapest way to do it
    ..can u help me?

Unfortunately I don't think they would allow you to squat on any land or in an abandoned cabin, as someone owns it. Your best bet is just to find a remote area where you can homestead and squat on the land without being discovered. Maybe try putting a post out on Alaska craigslist or something to see if someone has an abandoned cabin you would be able to make use of, with their permission?

don't know about any cabins but there is a old bus. You can read about it here...........http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1845.Into_the_Wild

Really!!! I have to ask, are you currently living in an abandoned house you just found and moved into?
    actually im low on money..that is why i wanted to find an abandoned one.so i can fix it and not to purchase land or an old cabin
    Then why even bother moving , save up money, stake out a location then move, and pay your way!!

Im sorry but I have serious Issues with people looking to live free, and just take what is not theres so as to avoid being a responsible adult and doing what we all have to do and PAY OUR WAy in life.
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    don't know about any cabins but there is a old bus. You can read about it here...........http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1845.Into_the_Wild
    ROFLMAO!!!
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

happy you let out some steam...next time read it more clearly...i wasnt talking about squating...i wanted to gether information about broken trapper cabins that nobody owns and to fix it
    and the into the wild jokes are very funny.but im more of a dick Proenneke fan myself.
    i am saving money and i plan to pay my way.but not everybody was born with a silver spoon up his *** so im trying to check cheap options

Quote Originally Posted by nirz View Post
    happy you let out some steam...next time read it more clearly...i wasnt talking about squating...i wanted to gether information about broken trapper cabins that nobody owns and to fix it
    and the into the wild jokes are very funny.but im more of a dick Proenneke fan myself.
    i am saving money and i plan to pay my way.but not everybody was born with a silver spoon up his *** so im trying to check cheap options
    Im pretty sure that even abandond cabins are owned by someone, or the state, city county( not sure in AK) will take ownership for back property taxes owed, Sorry to say but nothing is free in this world. And I don't believe I misread anything

the only problem is that i dont know any locations of cabins i can use and fix.most cabins that i searched in the internet are for rental with electricity wich is far from what i want.
    I took that as a " I don't want to rent I want it free" statement by you. Now if your looking for a cabin you can fix up in exchange for the rent that is totaly different and you should have said so.

And if someone being straight forward and not taking you seriously gives ya a case of the butt hurt, I suggest thicker skin and putting more thought and info into your posts.

ok...your right
    im loking to buy or rent a cabin..a broken one so it will be cheap and i will fix it for money exchange...if anybody knows where i can find one it will help me
    thenk you

Actually the "into the wild" story is important, it is preferable to learn from other peoples mistakes at times. Instead of going directly to a abandoned cabin perhaps getting a job in a small own and learning the lay of the land so to speak from the locals. Then branch out from there. There are trappers that take on a inexperienced partner at times. This way you can get a feel for the situation. Proenneke was a interesting man but remember he had a retirement check coming in on a regular basis. This provided him with income that in turn paid for supplies and bush plane delivery. Good luck

All land is owned. It is either owned by private individuals, corporations, tribal owned, government owned or crown owned (Canada). So you will, in fact, be squatting if you simply move into an abandoned cabin. As mommabear stated you need to seek permission. If you do find a cabin you should check with the Borough for a plat map. I think they call them parcel maps in Alaska. That will tell you who owns the property. You might be able to work out a deal with the owner to fix up the cabin in exchange for living there.

Edit: Sorry, WG, I was typing when you posted.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

ok...where is a good place to start and find my way..what town or place is a good place to start?

Quote Originally Posted by nirz View Post
    ok...your right
    im loking to buy or rent a cabin..a broken one so it will be cheap and i will fix it for money exchange...if anybody knows where i can find one it will help me
    thenk you
    Maybe post an ad in an AK newspaper, or on some AK forums, might get some leads from that. Good luck in your quest.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    All land is owned. It is either owned by private individuals, corporations, tribal owned, government owned or crown owned (Canada). So you will, in fact, be squatting if you simply move into an abandoned cabin. As mommabear stated you need to seek permission. If you do find a cabin you should check with the Borough for a plat map. I think they call them parcel maps in Alaska. That will tell you who owns the property. You might be able to work out a deal with the owner to fix up the cabin in exchange for living there.

Edit: Sorry, WG, I was typing when you posted.
    Great minds think alike!

If I were you, I would get a teaching degree and get a job in AK. Then have my summers for living in the wilderness.

Great suggestion, reb. But then, that might require too much effort and not enough instant gratification.