Thread: Vintage survival stories.

Blog Entries

Cool Vintage survival stories.

Watching the original "Flight of the Phoenix" right now. An older film about a plane load of guys who crash in the Sahara desert. It's a very intriguing story of survival. There compass is useless and water is a problem. This got me to thinking about the older books and films done on the subject of survival. As far as I can remember Robinson Crusoe was one of the 1st ever written,,,or was it Swiss Family Robinson? Earlier this week I watched an old Sci-fi film called Robinson Crusoe on Mars. Yeah, it was corny, but it still talked about survival. Anybody else remember anything?...
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Jimmy Stuart is one of my favorite actors. Flight of The Phoenix is one of my all times favorites, along with No Time for Sergeants and The Spirit of St. Louis.

The movie does bring some valid survival points...

EB

"The Mountain"- 1956 movie starring Spencer Tracy and Robert Wagner as brothers that climb Mont Blanc to rob the people that perished in a plane crash near the summit. Upon finding the wreckage, they find a gravely injured survivor and decide to rescue her. Based on an actual event of the crash of Air India flight 245 in 1950.

Lord of the Flies, the 60s version of the movie. That's pretty old. Same old survival cliché. Trapped alone on an island after a plane crash.
    ~~Combat is the least important skill a ninja can posses.~~

"Jeremiah Johnson" with Robert Redford, my all time favorite 'survival' movie. Also "The Edge" with Anthony Hopkins & Alec Baldwin is a good movie.

DomC
    "There are only 2 classes of ships in the Navy...Submarines and Targets!" RM2(SS)
    "A knifeless man is a lifeless man"...Nordic proverb.
    "No man's knowledge can go beyond his experience." John Locke.
    "Survival is about getting out of the wilderness ALIVE, Bushcraft is about getting into the wilderness and THRIVING."

Hell in the Pacific with Lee Marvin and Toshirō Mifune. Its about an American and a Japanese soldier stranded on an island in the Pacific during WWII and how they ended up helping each other survive and then dying together in a bombing raid after building a raft and escaping the island.
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp

Not a movies that I know off, but my favorite story very early on, like grade school.....was "Box Car Children"....several books in the series.

Family of children making do for themselves living in a boxcar.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Boxcar_Children
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

The Long Walk. It's a story of seven escapees from a Russia Gulag and a Polish girl they found along the way. They survived crossing the Gobi Desert, Tibet and the Himalayas to reach India and freedom. They escaped during a blizzard so they could not be tracked. After the book was published there was a lot of controversy as to how much of it was true but if any of it was it was an amazing feat of survival. Half of them died in the process.

Blog Entries

Cool I remember seeing this...

...on TV when I was a teen: "Inferno," starring Robert Ryan. A man with a broken leg has been left to die out in the Mojave desert by his wife and her younger lover. While this couple 's actions are clearly unforgivable, the man they abandon isn't particularly sympathetic himself. As played by Robert Ryan he's a wealthy, selfish spoiled brat, used to having things on his terms, not caring much for the feelings of others. I admired the film's bravery in having such a hard to like anti-hero, and still succeeding in getting us caught up in his struggle to survive. Well worth watching! Rhonda Fleming was great of course.....

SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin