Thread: Cheap and Easy Mosquito Trap

Default Cheap and Easy Mosquito Trap

Cut the top off a soda bottle, invert the top and insert it into the bottom half

[URL="http://Invert the top and insert it into the bottom halfGuests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.[/URL]

Glue or tape the two halves together.

Mix together 1 tablespoon of yeast and enough warm water (90° F) to fill about 1/3 of the lower bottle. Add in 1/3 cup of sugar. Mix all together and pour into the funnel/ cylinder. When you see bubbles forming the yeast is eating the sugar (fermenting) and creating carbon dioxide, which is the same thing mosquitoes use to find you. Mosquitoes follow the CO2 to the bottle, enter through the small opening then can't get back out.

Source: From across the internet.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

How did the top of that bottle get cut off with the orange soda still in there?
    Also,can the mash be used after?

Quote Originally Posted by LLT
    How did the top of that bottle get cut off with the orange soda still in there?

Quickly. Very quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by LLT
    Also,can the mash be used after?

Um, sure.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Ah, yes.....nectar of dead bugs in incahaul

Gonna try it though.......gonna need a lot of them....and some one to drink all that soda......we don't.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Ah, yes.....nectar of dead bugs in incahaul

Gonna try it though.......gonna need a lot of them....and some one to drink all that soda......we don't.
    Maybe this?

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Banned

I guess that is one of the few benefits of our extended drought, no 'skeeters. If it ever rains enough around these parts again I may have to give this a try. Mezcal has it's worms......why not Skeeter Brandy? Just add a few apricots and distill.

Where there's a will there's a way...as they say.

Blog Entries

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

around here, there's so many of them that you'd need 1000 such traps and a lot of money spent on those materials. About all that can be done is sleep under a bed net, and wear a head net and protective clothing when you are out and about.

So, anyway, was at a cake mix party......DW went and the guys retired to drink beer and solve the worlds problems.

Host had large bottles od soda for the kids, and with this thread in mind, I asked for the empties....like I said we couldn't drink a big jug like that in a year.

The host works at a medical manufacturing place as a scientist, and knows a lot of stuff about mosquitoes, they raise and kill batches of them.
    So, he asked what I wanted them for, so I mentioned the mosquito trap, and he related about 50 ways on why it wouldn't work ....I guess he didn't want to give me the empties?

What a "Richard".....LOL, so looking still for empties.......

I did drink up a bunch of his beer, though......

Did you tell him that if he didn't give you the empties that was one more way it wouldn't work?

No, just kinda got frustrated with the whole conversation.....so I told him I had bought high blood pressure pills for Indonesia...that really gets him going.....(don't any more, I'm on the normal health care milking machine now).

He is facing a layoff after years of good times.....and can't believe it.....so I just kinda shut up.

LOL. I'll bet he needed blood pressure pills after you told him that.

Yeah, he huffs and puff, stutters and stammers.....very well, LOL....reason goes out the window, and he goes to great lengths on how it's stuff like this that is holding up research, and causing job cuts.....etc, etc......so I guess it's my fault that the big corporation cut loose a division for profit purposes.

Then when he get going good , I just let him know I have stock in the company......LOL

LOL. Tell him you don't believe in all that R&D stuff. It's just pulling your dividends down. Tell him you asked for a couple of proposals to be on the next stockholders' meeting. 1). to reduce medical and 2) to reduce pension benefits. The way you figure it that should increase your dividends .20 a share. That should just about end him.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    LOL. Tell him you don't believe in all that R&D stuff. It's just pulling your dividends down. Tell him you asked for a couple of proposals to be on the next stockholders' meeting. 1). to reduce medical and 2) to reduce pension benefits. The way you figure it that should increase your dividends .20 a share. That should just about end him.
    OHHH I do like the way you think!!!!
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Just remember to never do that to a boss. Never give a superior a Rubic's Cube without the answer. Bad JuJu.

It must be a real bee-ach waiting for that shoe to drop......then we will see how he defends his ex-employer.

I just wished I had never brought up a soda bottle mosquitoes trap....I guess I was just handy at the time.

Well, if he knows it's coming then he shouldn't be waiting for the shoe. He should be using the shoes to find other employment if we wants to keep working. If he's been there a while my guess is he'll have a decent severance package as well as a partial pension. Maybe even a 401K if he has been smart.