Thread: Invasive Plant Atlas EDDMaps

Default Invasive Plant Atlas EDDMaps

I came across this site while doing some research and plant ID for a series of classes I'm taking called Master Naturalist (more of a broad overview of related naturalist subjects).

There is both a smart Phone APP and a website you can use at home.
    http://www.invasiveplantatlas.org/index.html

EDDMAPS is the Early Detection Distribution MAPing System. I can use it to confirm and report a plant once I have made the ID.
    It is a resource to input your findings as well as view the findings of others. It is very extensive and impressive. The index is organized by; Aquatics, Grasses, Herbs/Forbs, Shrubs/Subshrubs, Trees, Vines, All Species and Images. The index is alphabetical by Scientific Name to the right of the common name.

The available information regarding edible or medicinal properties is minimal and varied if included at all. This is a invasive plant database after all. I guess this database has been around a while so not all the entries have a documented location that included GPS coordinates. Some of the locations has directions like two miles past the Kingsford plant east on Rout 33.

I just started using this. I can look at a County in any state I plan on visiting, scan the list and look up plants I'm interested in. This sometimes helps with a quicker ID when at my final location.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

Invasive plants are a serious issue. We are constantly fighting Yellow Star Thissle here. The plant is toxic to horses when consumed for long periods, grows with almost no water, loves hot temperatures, pushes out native grasses, and the thissle hurts like heck if it sticks you. They have tried controlling it by importing insects that eat only this plant and using herbicides and tillage practices. Even if a landowner fights it on his ground the next landowner may not or it may be growing right in the road right of ways and thus transferring seeds right back into the fields where the owners have been fighting it. Awful, awful stuff.
    If you can keep your head when all about you, are losing their's and blaming it on you. -Kipling

We have a number of nasty invasives around here. I almost have my yard under control. But like you said its a continuing battle every time a bird poops in my yard.

This year polk and PI heavy. Good thing I keep and control a jewel weed patch.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

Buckthorn has been bad I fight that.....but lately wild parsnip has made a big influx....mine came form the floods in 2007-2008...never had it before.

Thanks for the site......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Default Both edible and nasty rash causing plant Wild Parsnip.

Here is one of those Know your plants and how to use them.

BE CAREFUL WITH WILD PARSNIP... There is a photo reacting chemical in the plant that will cause burns blisters and welts on skin that has been exposed to the plant. For instance, If you weedwhack and get bits on your skin most folks can get blisters.

http://dnr.wi.gov/wnrmag/html/storie...99/parsnip.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Pf...rmatitis_Draft

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

With all that considered, It is edible.
    http://www.countrysidemag.com/91-3/samuel_thayer/
    Karl

No ship.....DW got burned on her leg after I brushed hogged a patch at the river.
    Get it on your skin....sun light hits it and it gets nasty quick.....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Only one thing for it.......EAT them to death!!!!!