Thread: Canning cheese !

Default Canning cheese !

ive been experiment with canning commercially made cheese ....im doing this because i simply didnt like the taste of the available canned cheeses on the market. so heres what i did .

1/ bought 10 pounds of mozzarella cheese
    2/ sterilized 36 salmon canning jars, short shoulderless ones !
    3/ packed the sterilized warm jars with moozzarella ( solid chunk not chopped fine) lids on finger tight ...
    4/ took a hug roast pan and put 2" of water in it and put it in the BBQ
    5/ covered the bottom in jars and brought it to the boil
    6/ boiled it for 90 minutes until the cheese was virtually boiling inside
    7/ waited till it cooled enuf to handle and removed the jars and tightened the lids
    8/ set it aside and repeated the process
    9/ ok ... I forgot about the last batch till it had boiled dry .. I thought I had destroyed it as it turned a light brown to amber colour , I didnt toss it
    .. I let it cool off and packed it away separate from the rest ... after a week I opened one and tasted it expecting burnt taste BUT NO ..
    it tasted like melted crunchy pizza cheese ... it was a huge success
    10/ well then i tried it with different cheeses and it doesnt work as well but it is still cheese .... the mozzarella works best !
    [/CENTER]

THE PROSPECTOR ! !

Cheese is considered a low acid food so to ensure safety it should be canned in a pressure canner rather than just in boiling water. If you do boil it then you have to lower the pH to make to more acidic, which I would think would change the flavor. Since cheese contains live cultures I'm not sure what would happen to them by subjecting them to higher temperatures. Maybe nothing, I just don't know.

But for safety sake I'd keep the jars in the fridge. Hot bath canning will not sterilize low acid foods.

Unpressurized steam canning with only 2" of water isn't recommended as a method of water bath canning either.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant