Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Was it really worth it?

Default Was it really worth it?

James Gandolfini washed down two orders of fried king prawns and a “large portion” of foie gras with at least eight alcoholic drinks just hours before he collapsed in his Rome hotel room.

Gandolfini was found in the bathroom of his Rome hotel room during a ‘boy’s trip’ to Italy with his teenage son and later died after medics spent 40 minutes trying to save the TV actor in the ambulance and hospital.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/james-gandolfini-last-meal-heart-1975261

He was a nice guy, a family man and had everything going for him on the home front and in his career. Such an unnecessary, preventable death...such a waste...

Blog Entries

Default Well.........

I've been known to eat my share of shrimp (prawns) and foie gras during a meal. But NEVER deep fried shrimp - it's disgusting, and frying destroys the delicate flavor. Shrimp can be steamed or boiled (NEVER overcook) and served hot or chilled on ice, stir fried for under a minute, or grilled. Don't even get me started about the countless ways people destroy shrimp by baking it.

As for the foie gras, the prospect of dying after eating it does not appeal to me. However, I HAVE had foie gras that I've said I would kill for.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Banned
    Blog Entries

I would rather have lived & died the way he did than be a "Health Food" addict in New York City.

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    James Gandolfini washed down two orders of fried king prawns and a “large portion” of foie gras with at least eight alcoholic drinks just hours before he collapsed in his Rome hotel room.

Gandolfini was found in the bathroom of his Rome hotel room during a ‘boy’s trip’ to Italy with his teenage son and later died after medics spent 40 minutes trying to save the TV actor in the ambulance and hospital.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/james-gandolfini-last-meal-heart-1975261

He was a nice guy, a family man and had everything going for him on the home front and in his career. Such an unnecessary, preventable death...such a waste...

Moderation, moderation, moderation.......in all things.

We each march to our own drummer.......Let us not judge.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
    I would rather have lived & died the way he did than be a "Health Food" addict in New York City.
    To each his own, SD.
    I would bet all that I own that Gandolfini, given another chance, would have wished a re-do. To see his kids grow, to enjoy life with his much younger 2nd wife, to enjoy doing what he loved more than eating (acting), to enjoy feeling good longer than at the moment of stuffing his face.

Health food doesn't cause addiction, junk food does. Just for the record.
    I eat the way my great grandmother might have, before they came up with all the artificial junk, preservatives, antibiotics and
    super-sized portions that could have fed a family of 4 back in the olden days. If you tasted "my" food you wouldn't even know it was healthy
    --it's all in the seasoning and cooking. I have occasional slip ups but I'm not too bad. I at least try.

The idea of having the desire and the discipline to prep in order to survive TEOTWAWKI and then negate it all by living an unhealthy lifestyle, baffles me. Dieing is easy...it's living with serious disabilities and being dependent on others and the system you loath, is hard.
    What guarantee do you have that you'll just keel over in your sleep...or drop dead while humping one of your 60lbs BOBs...or, whatever Ken was fantasizing about?
    Now, I don't have any guarantees either that my choices will make me healthy and fit until I'm 100. But I'm just increasing my odds same way you are with all your many preps. Is that really so bad, so worthy of condemnation, or is it it that I also happen to live in NYC while doing it?

Maybe someone, or even you, SD, can explain it all to me so I understand what y'all's beef is. I am always willing to learn.

Blog Entries

I'm beginning to dislike this thread. It's ruining my weekend menu planning.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

Blog Entries

What guarantee do you have that you'll just keel over in your sleep...or drop dead while humping one of your 60lbs BOBs...or, whatever Ken was fantasizing about?
    Care to elaborate on that?
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

This thread is starting to sound like one of those and then the fight started jokes. Only NOT funny. Please hug it out.
    -Sam

Banned
    Blog Entries

Now, I don't have any guarantees either that my choices will make me healthy and fit until I'm 100. But I'm just increasing my odds same way you are with all your many preps. Is that really so bad, so worthy of condemnation, or is it it that I also happen to live in NYC while doing it?

Maybe someone, or even you, SD, can explain it all to me so I understand what y'all's beef is. I am always willing to learn.

Yes, It is that you live in NYC.

Lady B, it is not personal, it is just not graspable that people can live in a sewer and worry about healthy eating.

Obviously SD needs a trip to Gotham to realize the entire city is not a sewer. We all have choices in life but we must also live where we can perform the talents that we have. We all have to watch what we eat if we want to be health enough to survive out own SHTF.

I've read all kinds of stuff about his last meal was/was not elaborate. Here's an article in which it's denied he had ANY alcohol in his system.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment...l-report-says/

Cities are and can be a wonderful place. Offering a view of life that can't be found anywhere else. I love going to the zoo with my grandkids (I doubt many here feed giraffe in their backyard), to the MOSI, the art galleries not to mention some da**ed great cousine. I enjoy the woods but I love the city and I would not trade places with anyone.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    .....I doubt many here feed giraffe in their backyard....
    You are CORRECT! If they don't come over to the side door, they are NOT getting fed.
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

See? I rest my case.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Was it worth it, for this guy. Giving up eating things that he loved to eat. Working his butt off, running and sweating. All because he thought he'd live longer. He gave up some of the finer things in life, and what did he gain from it. Nothing. He ended up dead on a beach.....at a young age.

Beach jogger killed by plane likely never heard it
    http://hamptonroads.com/2010/03/beac...never-heard-it
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

And the irony is the pilot weighed 300 pounds was eating a 2 day old Big Mack and drinking Wild Turkey when he crashed.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 2dumb2kwit View Post
    Giving up eating things that he loved to eat.
    That convinced me. I'm thawing out that foie gras NOW.
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    And the irony is the pilot weighed 300 pounds was eating a 2 day old Big Mack and drinking Wild Turkey when he crashed.
    Yeah...and a nekkid woman survived a week or so lost in sub temps in Alaska.
    So, given that, why is SD prepped out of the wazoo and still prepping to survive Armaggedon?

What are you guys saying here...or is there a double standard you'd like to confess to and be done with it?

Godamighty, do you really think everyone who lives in NYC is stupid or are you just trying to pull wool over my eyes? Please notice...I've been a member since 09...I know you and I can read between the lines. (not that y'all are that subtle)

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    That convinced me. I'm thawing out that foie gras NOW.
    And after you're done, run out and have that colossal ice cream sundae, you're so fond of.

Blog Entries

And after you're done, run out and have that colossal ice cream sundae, you're so fond of.
    If I die, I'll die happy.
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    If I die, I'll die happy.
    Well ain't that nice?
    I'm sure your kids will say...hey, at least he died happy in his 50's...and you're grandkid will say, hey, it's OK...I hardly remember him, wish I had a grandpaw in my life, but a foie gras and crap made him happier so fare thee well...
    Of course what you fail to understand is, that dieing will be the LEAST of your problems.