Thread: Hello

Default Hello

I came across this forum on a google search. I belong to a few survival and homesteading forums to meet other people with similar interests. I am currently living in the northeast but I have my house listed for sale. I plan to relocate to a very small town in TX or OK.

I never really know what to say on these introductions so I thought I would use Ken's cut and paste list.

Your Approximate Age: mid 50's

Your Gender: male

Your Geographic Location (small town in West Virginia, family ranch in Texas, or the “the Lower East Side”): This state laughingly calls itself the "Constitution State" even while it is doing everything possible to invalidate the Constitution. I'm trying to get out before the real trouble starts in January. That's when the state's storm troopers can begin a full out assault on gun owners.

Your Occupation (present and relevant past, such as military, technical, etc.): Retired USAF medic- IDMT and NREMT, Computer and Electronics tech

The Nature of Your Prior Experience (Terrain, Season, Number of times/years, and longest duration in Wilderness): I am an experienced 4 season backpacker and survivalist. I had numerous military field exercises including 2 months (July-August) in the Egyptian Desert. I did a 5 month cross-country bug-out in 2009. I backpacked in a blizzard in Vermont. I have backpacked everywhere from Maine to California and Utah to Louisiana. I have been backpacking and survival camping since I was 9 years old.

My grandparents had a small farm so I was raised learning how to raise livestock and keep a garden. My grandfather taught me how raise and milk cows, raise horses and chickens and he taught me how to butcher a chicken. I taught myself how to butcher everything else. My grandmother taught me how cook, bake, can foods use a laundry tub and washboard and a bunch of other homesteading skills. I have done extensive home remodeling and repairs. I can use a backhoe/loader and several other types of construction equipment. I have soloed in ultralight and single engine aircraft. I have been skydiving and scuba diving.

Your Level of Experience (novice, intermediate, advanced, expert, instructor, etc.) Unit Survival Instructor. During my military career only aircrews were given formal survival training. The only way that personnel in non-flying units like hospitals could get training was to use the most experienced survivalists to offer training to the rest of the unit during field exercises. I suppose that makes me an advanced expert/instructor.

Your Preparedness Planning (type and level) I basically have everything I need except a BOL and livestock. I have been looking at 10+ acre pieces of land in TX and OK because the taxes, cost of living and real estate prices are low. I am hoping to make contacts with people in these areas who can answer some questions and help me get a BOL established.

Your Interests and Hobbies (gardening, wilderness skills, urban survival preparation, knife-making, firearms, food storage, backpacking, etc. ): Gardening, wilderness living homesteading skills, hunting, fishing, trapping, foraging, archery, backpacking, aquaponics, beekeeping, alternative energy

Rick
    aka MaveRick

Blog Entries

Welcome to the Forums and thank you for your service!

Connecticut, huh? We're almost neighbors. Great intro. Thanks!
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Hello and welcome. Thank you for your service.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Welcome to the forum Nice intro.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

Hunter63, saying, Hey and Welcome.
    Thanks you for your service.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Welcome home and thank you for your service. There really are other forums? Who knew?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Welcome from Alaska.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Welcome from Kentucky. Thank you for your service.
    “At 350 pounds I Am the power hammer!”
    www.MasterBlackSmith.com

Banned

Howdy and Welcome!

Thanks for your service. If you're serious about possibly relocating to Texas, PM me with some info on what your wanting to find or avoid in your ideal candidate and I might be able to recommend some places for you to investigate further.

Kudos to you Rick for actually reading the "Intro" post.

Welcome to WSF.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

I am in south central Oklahoma. Welcome. Glad you are here.

Hey,, hello every body,,
    Its really nice to see you all!!