Thread: Youth Bow for BOB?

Default Youth Bow for BOB?

I know that the more you know, the less you have to carry and knowing how to make something is better than not. What are the opinions of the idea of putting a youth style bow in my BOB? It's small and easy to pack. I hunt with a compound but have never tested a youth bow to see how strong it is or if it is even capable of bringing down game. I know it wont kill a deer or a bear, but would it work for small animals and fish? I want to use ways of getting meat that won't attract a lot of attention and I want to be able to save my ammo for defense, if needed. Yes? No? Crazy? Stupid? Let me know what you think.

I have come across a compact folding survival bow that you might want for your BOB. I'm having trouble pasting the link into this post but you can use goprimalnow.com with the rest of the web prefix to get you there.

You'll be able to add links to your posts after you have ten posts. It's a function of our anti-spam software.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

The first question you need to answer is what is the purpose of your BOB. Next is where you intend to bug out too. If your purpose is weather related or some man made issue like a train wreck involving chemicals then you don't need it. If you plan to bug out to some family or friend's place then why not cache whatever you need there and only carry what you need to get there. Whatever your reasons and whatever you decide to carry I think you need to practice with it to ensure both you and whatever you plan to carry is both practical and functional. The first part of having a bug out plan is putting the plan together. The important part is to exercise the plan to make sure it works and to ensure you have your BOB right sized for you. Good luck.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Many a 10 year old has come home with a fresh rabbit that he got with his 20 lb long bow.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Have you looked at "take down" long bows?.......I haven't researched them...... but have seen a couple.
    Learn how to make one?....so all you need in a BOB is the string?...and maybe couple of points"
    Maybe a little more power than a youth bow?

Why limit your self to small game?
    What about arrows?.....bring along?, ....make?.....need to be carful here as too strong of bow will destroy a natural material arrow.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Great info, folks. Thanks

hunter-gatherer Canadian-guerilla's Avatar

i have 2 take-down recurves for post-SHTF times

a 34 lb and a 20 lb draw ( using broadheads )

thinking about getting another 20 lb

i'm not going to be shooting 50+ yards

i'll let the game come to me

" patience is the hunters best weapon "
    Knowledge without experience is just information

there are two types of wild food enthusiasts,
    one picks for enjoyment of adding something to a meal,
    and the second is the person who lives mostly on ( wild ) edibles

Lydia

I have a take down recurve and primal survival bow. The Primal Survival has its advantages of compactness and no removable parts like the limb bolts. I experienced to problems with the survival bow. The first thing is that the string slapped my forearm. I shoot several different bows and have all my life. I have never needed an arm guard...till now. LOL

Second that bastard will skin the fletch off of your arrow quicker than shift! I have used Carbon Fury for years. I bought the arrows from Primal Survival and they have been fine. Though I wouldn't say they are great.

Rope.ranger,

I would avoid youth bows. Adults have a tendency to overstress the limbs by drawing them well beyond what they were intended for. Tuning for proper arrow flight with one of these can be next to impossible. If you were looking for something compact, I would go with a shorter take down bow meant for adults and practice till the cows come home.

Batch,

If you are shaving the fletching off the arrows, then the arrow spine is too stiff. They shouldn't make contact with the riser after release. I noticed they only sell 400 spine arrows, too stiff for the 50 lbs limbs and most likely the 60 lbs as well due to the solid fiberglass limbs. Add a heavier tip on your arrows to weaken the spine and you'll notice better arrow flight and groupings.

Cheers

R.R.-- Check out the 3 piece, Spectre take down bow. 50# draw, comes with case and four arrows. 80 bucks from Amazon.

I'd have to agree with the others...not only is a take down recurve going to be more compact, I know my 55lb recurve (non take-down) is about 1/4 the weight of my compounds.

I would also consider a sling shot set up for arrow use, if I were thinking like you. Something to think about anyway.

Me? I like my .45ACP carbine with a suppressor for that task!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/mysurvivalspot?feature=mhee
    www.mysurvivalspot.com

I recent bought a Bear Sage recurve bow. It breaks down into 3 pieces and is quick and eay to setup and take down. It is about a 50ish pound draw I think. 150$..worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Farley View Post
    Rope.ranger,

I would avoid youth bows. Adults have a tendency to overstress the limbs by drawing them well beyond what they were intended for. Tuning for proper arrow flight with one of these can be next to impossible. If you were looking for something compact, I would go with a shorter take down bow meant for adults and practice till the cows come home.

Batch,

If you are shaving the fletching off the arrows, then the arrow spine is too stiff. They shouldn't make contact with the riser after release. I noticed they only sell 400 spine arrows, too stiff for the 50 lbs limbs and most likely the 60 lbs as well due to the solid fiberglass limbs. Add a heavier tip on your arrows to weaken the spine and you'll notice better arrow flight and groupings.

Cheers
    Somehow I missed this reply. Yeah, I am learning more about arrow selection. We hunt with our compounds and just shoot arrows with our recurves in camp or the back yard to pass time. I bought the arrows that Primal Survival sells for their bow which are Buck Buster V6 400= 45-60. I have had no more problems with shaving fletches off. Though I haven't spent a great deal of time shooting the bow with them.

BTW, Primal Survival have been real slow shippers in my experience. You get what you order. Your just gonna wait awhile.

Dave Canterbury just had a video on a foldout bow on YouTube. Looked pretty cool. I hunt with longbow but its a 62" stick that's a tad long to put in a bag. I'll stick with a small 22 n lotsa bulletsimage.jpg