Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Naked and Afraid....show

I've been watching, all the episodes so far. You have to admit, it's crazy to be stuck anywhere naked with almost zero equipment, but what a challenge! Then throw in an opposite sex partner who's naked? Very challenging. The cast seems to be very deficient in food gathering /production to me. But they can make fire most of the time.

Finally checked out this show to get caught up. Quite disappointing after the first 2 episodes. Anyone can head out into the wilderness and starve and complain for 21 days. Nobody in this show is surviving... they're just dying really slowly.

In response to somebody's post earlier... I don't think there's a hot enough woman on the planet for me to suffer through any more episodes of starvation and blurs. lol

Banned

I completely dislike this show (it's just my opinion, you are all entitled to yours), and with good reason.

1. There is much less of a point to being naked if it's censored (not saying un-censor it, but it kind of defeats the purpose.)

2. It's mostly consisted of whining and complaining over their hunger and that they want to get out, and though they don't get any major items at the start, it's still just plain fights here and there. "I don't like my partner at all, she's all focused on herself and she just wants to eat" but then five seconds later the tables turn.

I have watched the show before so don't think I don't have my reasons, but it's just not the same as Survivorman or even Man vs Wild. I mean, Bear isn't too independent and has a camera crew, but he has guts and actually does act serious about it and demonstrates some actual techniques. The only show I won't watch unless I ran out is Ray Mears: Extreme Survival. Most of the beginning is just back-stories of where he's going. I don't like that as much, but as always I will have watched quite a bit before resorting to that. Don't get me wrong, the groups on the show have guts as well, but it feels un-natural.

I know I'm only 12, but I feel like I have the right to display my honest opinion, and if you don't like it that's fine.
    Last edited by CivilSurvivor; 08-11-2013 at 08:42 AM.

All opinions are valid, and reality isn't a fun as manufactured drama.
    Remember it's a TV show.....made to make money and get ratings (more money).

Experience will show you that the "Naked and Afraid" is probably closer to reality that most all of the other shows.

Even at 12 , but having experience with a summer camp....you most likely have already seen those that could make it, and those that could not, just in your daily activities.

After years of watching some people being convinced that they can survive being naked,..... just using their mind and skills to over come obstacles and survive....This is an example of "putting you money where your mouth is (Not you personally.....)"

I'm calling out Bear, and Les, Cody and the rest...to take up the challenge.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    All opinions are valid, and reality isn't a fun as manufactured drama.
    Remember it's a TV show.....made to make money and get ratings (more money).

Experience will show you that the "Naked and Afraid" is probably closer to reality that most all of the other shows.

Even at 12 , but having experience with a summer camp....you most likely have already seen those that could make it, and those that could not, just in your daily activities.

After years of watching some people being convinced that they can survive being naked,..... just using their mind and skills to over come obstacles and survive....This is an example of "putting you money where your mouth is (Not you personally.....)"

You put up a persuasive argument, I must admit, and I do think this makes a lot of sense. I personally love Bear, Les, and the crew but I don't personally believe they might survive as long as the Naked and Afraid cast members only for the fact that they must have had lots of experience beforehand (There was a guy who was working in bushcraft expertise for 20+ years) with that situation while Bear and Ray might not. Everyone has their different parts they are best at and we can't all be good at it all. It's nice to chat like this with you all, nice having these chats.

Les is supposed to be starting a new series in 2014, I saw the update on his website a while ago. I think you can suggest show episode ideas and I think I will submit yours (full credit of course). We'll see if he does it. Even if he doesn't, though, I grew up to my age now watching him, so I won't lose any respect.

Les & Cody are both bonafide survivalists and expert "cautionists". Although they both like to strip down periodically, I can't see either one of them taking the completely needless risk of going fully nude.

Les invited me to a youth leadership camp he was keynote speaker at back in 2006. We hung out all afternoon and talked about everything, and the one thing that stuck with me was that he wouldn't even walk up a very mildly icy wheelchair ramp into the dining lounge. He's that cautious.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter

Who you tryin' to kid. That was directed at Ruth and you know it.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Who you tryin' to kid. That was directed at Ruth and you know it. [/COLOR]
    LOL....Busted!........Ruth is Hot!
    That transparent, huh?

I have been enjoying the show. I enjoy the mental battles.
    Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth.

I didn't read through all the pages or check to see other threads about this topic, but how do you all rank Naked Castaway? Did you like that show better or not?

Personally I enjoyed it for realism....and entertainment.
    Not a tutorial on how to do it, rather a.... this is what can happen.
    I would watch it again.

Quote Originally Posted by roar-k View Post
    I didn't read through all the pages or check to see other threads about this topic, but how do you all rank Naked Castaway? Did you like that show better or not?
    I watched it and liked it for what it was. It was not a show that showed/taught survival skills. To me it was more about the psychological aspects of being thrust into that situation.

Something interesting (not surprising) was that some of the participants - in their bios - claimed to be survival, or wilderness instructors. One guy had to be medivaced (drinking untreated water) and she crumbled on her own and tapped out. Her survival instructor skills evidently didn't include boots in the field that involved over night stays (that was for you Sourdough).
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Most of the participants do not have "real woods" experience. They sit in their backyards have a few friends, or as they call them "students" come over and show off their survival skills. Well, that's how most of the participants have seemed to me. Could I do better? Probably not, but I should strive to do better.

As crash and others have said it is mostly mental. You have to want to thrive in the those conditions, not just survive. If you just settle for surviving you are already lost in my opinion. That may not be the best choice of words, but you all can get the gist of it.

I'm guessing that a lot of survival experts are legends in their own minds......

Well, they're alive so.............
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

I'd do the show, it'd be a real test to see if I can go 21 days out in the wild without touching myself in front of the woman... Hahaha... Other than that screw it it's just dumb.. Hahaha
    Actually I watch it to see how they'll do.
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

Quote Originally Posted by Beo View Post
    I'd do the show, it'd be a real test to see if I can go 21 days out in the wild without touching myself in front of the woman... Hahaha... Other than that screw it it's just dumb.. Hahaha
    Actually I watch it to see how they'll do.
    HAHAHAHAHA!!!! that could be a hard test to pass
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

I have been trying to ID the knife used on season 2 episode 2, did anyone get a good look at it?

They should team HUnter with Ruth for a Naked and Afraid show. It would be funny to see hunter sit under a tree for 21 days going " Woo Hoo Blurbablurbablurbalurbalurba.............her hot, Woo Hoo Blurbalurbalurba...........her hot!
    Last edited by Wildthang; 04-03-2014 at 11:13 AM.

LOL....seems a lot around here may do the same with Bear?....Les....Cody......Dave( oops not Dave).......Hummmm

I'm good.