Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Could you BURN your Homestead/retreat to the ground and walk away.

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
    Well, I would only destroy the homestead, if I felt I could NOT hold the homestead, after several threats. To me it is somewhat like feeding the bears.........it is all fine till you stop feeding them. I would expect the same from humans.

I have run drills on holding this place.......and drills on re-taking this place. It is hundreds of times safer to re-capture this place, then to attempt to hold it. The other thing is, that the "Moral" issue is clearer, in the re-capture.
    That makes good sense, I see your point.
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Back to the original OP.
    I would only blow up the place if the scumbags were in it already. (it would of course have to be rigged up and set off remotely) Otherwise why waste it? You're already out...you might come back.

On the other hand...
    I remember you liking New Zealand. How about just going for an extended visit and having the time of your life instead of worrying about all this stuff. Seriously...when you weigh it all up, is this how you wanna go?
    We choose how we want to live, but shouldn't we also choose (actively) how we want to check out?

Could you burn your retreat/homestead/compound/cabin/etc. to the ground including all the survival food/ammo/arms/etc. and just hike away.....???

More and more this is becoming my survival plan. It makes me want to puke...........but in my heart I know it is the best action.

Absolutely. All material possessions can be replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    Back to the original OP.
    I would only blow up the place if the scumbags were in it already. (it would of course have to be rigged up and set off remotely) Otherwise why waste it? You're already out...you might come back.

On the other hand...
    I remember you liking New Zealand. How about just going for an extended visit and having the time of your life instead of worrying about all this stuff. Seriously...when you weigh it all up, is this how you wanna go?
    We choose how we want to live, but shouldn't we also choose (actively) how we want to check out?
    In that case I choose a heart attack at the age of 101 while in bed with a couple 18 year olds.
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by welderguy View Post
    In that case I choose a heart attack at the age of 101 while in bed with a couple 18 year olds.
    Nope. I've had this one planned for years: Mid-air explosion at the age of 98 when I'm piloting my Lear Jet back from a scuba diving vacation at my Caribbean beach house with my 22 year old girlfriend.

And you, Welderguy? 18 YEAR OLDS??? You crib robber!
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Nope. I've had this one planned for years: Mid-air explosion at the age of 98 when I'm piloting my Lear Jet back from a scuba diving vacation at my Caribbean beach house with my 22 year old girlfriend.
    Still the same dream, huh?
    I thought you were gonna work in chocking on a bacon sammich...wait, that was 2D.

Goog...He's just this guy greatgoogamooga's Avatar
    East coast. Too Close to DC for my own comfort.

The trigger would be, as soon as the BEGGERS for food, and the thieving started to get aggressive.
    I don't know what it would take for me to turn beggars away. Thugs, not a problem. But someone who is desperate and ASKS, I dont' know if I could be cold enough to turn them away. Now there's always the option of inviting them in and eating them...

Goog

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post

And you, Welderguy? 18 YEAR OLDS??? You crib robber!
    Yep Im gonna go out with a bang. or a gasp and a wheeze!

Quote Originally Posted by Power Giant
    All material possessions can be replaced.

Not at -40F with 114 inches of snow on the ground.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Not at -40F with 114 inches of snow on the ground. [/COLOR]
    You would have a 4 season tent cached of course, right?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Well, I would only destroy the homestead, if I felt I could NOT hold the homestead, after several threats. To me it is somewhat like feeding the bears.........it is all fine till you stop feeding them. I would expect the same from humans.

I have run drills on holding this place.......and drills on re-taking this place. It is hundreds of times safer to re-capture this place, then to attempt to hold it. The other thing is, that the "Moral" issue is clearer, in the re-capture.
    I think destroying it would be a bad idea. Especially since you already are planning on retaking it. I am pretty sure there won't be a LOT of people coming to your cabin to loot. You are just too far remote. Besides, nature would probably kill them before they got there. The only population that would want to would be local Alaskans living in the city. In SHTF, most of those will die of quickly, reducing the small population even smaller. No one in the lower 48 would want to travel to Alaska, the winter would kill them all off, especially when they would have more opportunity to steal from people's cabins in Texas.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

I know one that won't heading his way.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Get a hong like Ricks and get a mohawke hair cut. When the come to your place, run out the front door singing the green anaconda song as loud as you can, and they will leave as quickly as they came!

I'm already trying to sell my house and get out of here because this city is in a real preppers nightmare zone. The government is becoming more and more aggressive about taking away the rights of citizens and taxing them into a virtual slavery. The gun grabbing laws are threatening to spark a very real war between a tyrannical "government" and the people. If the government wants to seize my property then I will load everything into my BOCV and leave them with nothing but a pile of ashes. If they take this place intact they will just turn it into more housing for the welfare leeches, drug dealers and street gangs that infest this city.

My house only sits on 1/3 acre and it is hilly, rocky and heavily shaded so it is a struggle trying to grow any vegetables. The vegetables plants I have tried to grow in the shade are so weak that they are quickly killed by mold, blight or insects. The zoning laws forbid raising livestock even if I did have a larger lot. It isn't even worth spending the thousands of dollars needed to remove the trees to try to have a vegetable garden on such small hilly and rocky piece of land. Hopefully I can sell the house to some city lover before things do get really bad here.

There are many situations that would require a temporary BO but some like a pandemic, EMP or financial collapse could take months or years to recover. Even then you could be returning to your home only to be forced into slavery under a brutal dictator. Wouldn't it make more sense to burn the place and deprive them of any possible assets?

Of course if anyone does have a homestead or retreat that is self-sufficient then they should do everything they can to stay and defend it. If I was in this situation I would be looking for a few other preppers that would be willing to relocate and work with me for our mutual defense and survival.