Thread: BOB Suggestion

Default BOB Suggestion

Hi all. Whenever i post a thread it is shortly followed by a link to a similar thread that has already been posted but I am gonna put this out anyway lol. I have looked over many lists of items people carry in their bags and I am always surprised to see most people don't carry ziplock freezer bags. I first grabbed some when I was going on an overnight fishing trip to keep fillets in and I discovered how useful they are. I bought a new box, discarded the box and rolled the bags up with a rubber band.
    First off, You can keep everything water proof. I put my first aid kit, fire starting materials, personal hygiene items, snacks, etc....in the bags to keep them dry and organized.
    They also have many practical uses such as water containers, forage basket and so on... There are so many uses for them.

I could be wrong, but I haven't seen freezer bags on any checklists so I wanted to let people know that the option is out there and I wouldn't pack a bag without them.

Good tip....Thanks.

They are used, at least I use them .....but maybe not spelled out as an item....it's something you put other things "IN'....as it were.
    Contractor garbage bags as well....

Kinda a poor mans "dry bag".
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Blog Entries

Cool Well, since you mentioned it...

I quit using them for the most part as I've found them to be pretty flimsy in the longer haul. If I'm storing things in them for a week or less, they do fine; however, as time goes by the zip-lock tops fall apart...or so it's worked that way for me. I've switched over to the small, waterproof pouches made my Coleman and their Canadian outlet:

http://www.amazon.com/3-Pc-Waterproo...amping+dry+bag

http://www.amazon.com/SPLASHPROOF-PO...oleman+dry+bag
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

I use freezer bags for cooking. I put dry oatmeal in it, then poor boiling water in and let sit. After about 5 minutes, I eat out of the bag. When I am done, I close up the bag, no dishes. I also use them to put my baby wipes in.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

I always carry the heavy duty ones. A lot of uses.
    Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth.

I store everything in my BOB in them (gallon size or bigger). Sometimes I go two or three deep, meaning I put my stuff in a bag and put that bag in another bag. It allows for a multilayer water resistance for your gear, more bag(s) when you need one and obviously takes little to no extra space. The bags can be used for anything from storage to insulation for your hands and feet when its cold.
    "Despite what your momma told you violence does solve problems"....... SO2 Ryan Job USN (SEAL)

On foot, yes my FAK and PSK as well as many other items are gathered into freezer bags.

On the Motorcycles, where the "cycles" are more frequent, trash compactor bags.
    "They call us civilized because we are easy to sneak up on."- Lone Waite

I have used a heavy duty plastic Visqueen , (can be made for garbage bags)....sort of a set of "bib's for riding motor cycles in the winter.

Didn't have a full set of leathers, so cut out the two legs, and a chest shield ....stick the legs into the top of your socks, pull up pants, then button up shirt.......
    Really breaks the cold air at 60 MPH.....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Now I'm gonna be all week-end getting that picture out of my head. Thanks.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

i will never be able tp get that picture out of my head

i also suggest to bring 3or4 bandanas they r useful in some many ways

bags yes, ziplock, no. I favor the little wiretie sort of thing that bread wrappers come with. I've used rubber bands, too. both have other uses, of course.

I keep a couple in my larger bag, along with some walmart bags. (I generally don't wear them as tank tops though)

For the smaller bags, day kits, I generally don't bother.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/mysurvivalspot?feature=mhee
    www.mysurvivalspot.com

I agree they are extremely useful and very easy to acquire. I also agree that they are not often listed on the "top ten things you need in your kit" lists. I personally use the one and two gallon freezer bags a lot.

I have several extra zip locks, and put the majority of my contents in them in my bag. I also carry at least two large trash bags in there.