Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Excellent forum or what?

stoney: there's a phrase to describe those few individuals you're referring to; the regular posters in this forum. and before you keep posting your complaining, don't bother [or do], we come and go as we please aswell.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

the mod's on this sight should take more liberties in IP banning people who dont contribute anything to the forum and only flame when they do choose to post...
    This member asked that their user name be changed. They acknowledged that most of what they have posted in the past was less than truthful. Hence the reason for the signature post.

do we actually have anybody like that? i mean we've got a couple mostly harmless trolls but that's not half as bad as it could be and what forum doesn't?
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by marcraft View Post
    the mod's on this sight should take more liberties in IP banning people who dont contribute anything to the forum and only flame when they do choose to post...
    lol.

And that does what for DHCP assigned addresses, which is everybody on cable, dial-up, or DSL, unless you specifically requested, and paid for, a static IP?

ipconfig /release
    ipconfig /renew

and flame away.

You'd be better off blocking the entire subnet, but then, how much legitimate traffic are you gonna block?
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    Samuel Adams
    Dogs are not my whole life, but they make my life whole.

I just stand on the bridge watching out for the troll. Hang on.....

Stop that! Change that before you post it!

I'm back. Trolls.....sheesh.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

i'd just DoS the jack@# and whatever proxies he might try to use. guess that's why i'm not a mod.

failing that, it's not all that hard to get a cable/adsl service user's account revoked for abuse.

Quote Originally Posted by canid View Post
    i'd just DoS the jack@# and whatever proxies he might try to use. guess that's why i'm not a mod.

failing that, it's not all that hard to get a cable/adsl service user's account revoked for abuse.
    lol. yeah, DDoS would work, if you've got the botnet in reserve... Most provider's can handle the amount of upstream bandwidth one user can push unless you've got some serious throughput from your ISP. But getting an account revoked for abuse typically requires violating the ISP's AUP, not just a forum's, and you stand a better chance of getting yourself null routed DOS'ing someone. Harassment, sure, but just generally being a troll isn't really going to do that.

Of course, depending on the ISP's inbound ACL policy and the results of the users port scan and OS version detection output from nMap, you can always just add them to the botnet. Most of those clowns are running XP with some whack bloatware firewall like McAffee, thinking that proxy is going to hide them.

Squid will fall over like just about anything else.

But hey, wadda I know about sapping, eh?
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    Samuel Adams

who would want to DoS somebody from their own machine anyway.

ISPs get pissy with multiple violations and they get tired of sending cease and desist orders in a real hurry. more over, parents of teens get tired of recieving the same

and of course the two approaches are sort of mutually exclusive.

yeah, it's sad how many home OS installations run insecure software, even if they keep their OS updates in line.
    Last edited by canid; 04-03-2008 at 12:57 AM.

who would want to DoS somebody from their own machine anyway.
    *shrugs* You'd be amazed.

ISPs get pissy with multiple violations and they get tired of sending cease and desist orders in a real hurry. more over, parents of teens get tired of recieving the same
    meh. Not any of the ISP's I've had to deal with, but I'm not out on the coast either. In my experience AUP department moves slowly...like a glacier, usually. And that's if they even do anything, but it also depends on the level of malicious activity coming from a user.

The other thing is, that appears to be coming from a college or high school, which means at least a partial T1, if not redundant T3's or greater, depending on the campus. Not usually much a campus NetSec team is going to do unless it's port scanning class A's or the RIAA comes knocking. Jack booted thugs. Anyway....
    Samuel Adams

well i guess the last one i dealt with was frontier in idaho. only provider for an area with a small user base.

well i guess the last one i dealt with was frontier in idaho. only provider for an area with a small user base.
    I can see them being on point with their AUP. Network reputation and all that. Most of what I deal with is major metro ISP's, and they tend to turn a blind eye to the small stuff. To much other stuff to worry with and not enough manpower to get the job done.

Time Warner was pretty smart though. They firewalled their DHCP network segments and setup an traffic monitor. If they detected any type of port scanning or "malicious" activity they null routed all outbound port 80 traffic for 7200 seconds on that IP, and forced you to retain the lease until the end of the null route. Kinda sweet of them. Like saying "we don't really care if you h4x0r something. You just won't be able to surf the web until two hours after you stop." Makes administering a server remotely from home a pain in the azz if you need to do any type of vulnerability testing.
    Samuel Adams

One of these guys is coming in from Tripe.net out of Amsterdam. The other was AT&T.net.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Ignoring all the hijacking on this thread I am new here and a city boy too. I have been ghosting this site for over a month before I registered. I think it is both informative and friendly. I've read alot of the threads and can see who is who as far as the character aspect goes lol. IMHO this was and is a good forum to belong to. Otherwise, this city boy wouldn't have stepped foot in someone's else's woods;forest;bush country
    “Anyone who trades liberty for security deserves neither liberty nor security”. Ben Franklin

Loser: When you can't do anything right and really don't care to

Well, the city is just another form of wilderness, isn't it?

you got that right and it is the scareiest one I have ever been in.
    Any goverment big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have...T Jefferson

welcom vagrant!

trax, i too am a gun toting nut case, and i'm not waiting for the world to end.

while threads get taken on tangents during the coarse of a discussion this is still a great site and its sad to see a few individuals who only seem to be inflamatory and try to disrupt everyone else. sounds like something a politician would do. the best thing we could do is completely ignor his post and keep right on with the conversation. all though i know this is all but imposible since many of us seem to have similar personalities that almost require us to take the bait and unleash our opinion on someone not deserving of our time and effort. he clearly enjoys making an a$$ out of himself.

just watch. as this thread slows down or gets back to good conversation he will jump back on and post a i told you so or quote a few of the replies. if anyone hijacks threads he clearly is proficiant at it.

City? Wilderness? Yep. Got all of them two legged animals to be aware of.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

yeah, i wouldn't put up with any of that, my friends and i do wargames and we pay good money for out net service.

Quote Originally Posted by awfoxden View Post
    welcom vagrant!

trax, i too am a gun toting nut case, and i'm not waiting for the world to end.
    Exactly, why wait when you can Make it happen....
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

why not step it up to costco status; be a nut crate.