Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: carburetor problems

Default carburetor problems

I forgot to winterize my generator last fall and now it wont stay running. I took the carb apart. Soaked it in carb cleaner. Put in fresh gas. The oil level is fine. The gas selector is on. The fuel and air filter are clean. The gas line is free. It'll run as long as you spray it with ether while it's going but, once that is used up it stops. I've rebuilt some carbs back in the day with no problems. What's up with these Mikuni carbs? Any suggestions? Thanks for the assistance!

Do you have an air leak in the fuel line? Is the tank clean? Maybe it's not the carb. Maybe it's the fuel line?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

First check the fuel/air mix. Next would be the plug and wires.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Also, check the bowl on the carb. My tiller had those same symptoms until I dumped the bowl. Runs fine now.
    Last edited by 2crows; 06-14-2013 at 07:12 PM.

Banned

It sure sounds like a fuel quality or delivery problem. Not sure if this is applicable, but I was stumped by a similar problem with the Kawasaki engine on my Husqvarna riding mower. Cleaned the carb, fuel tanks & fuel lines, replaced filters & plugs. finally inspected fuel pump and found a hairline crack on the vacuum port. I ordered a replacement pump online for about half of what I could buy one anywhere in town (nobody stocked it). That solved my problem it's now running like a champ again...might be worth a look?

FWIW: I found my best deal @ jackssmallengines.com and I've used them several times without ever having any issues.
    Last edited by Cast-Iron; 06-14-2013 at 12:56 PM.

When you pull off the fuel line from the carb does the gas flow?......if not......loosen the fuel cap.

Had my mower just stop on me, was in the process of checking and cleaning everything......so pulled off the gas line...no gas came out?
    Went to check the gas level, and as soon as I loosened the cap the gas flowed.

So I figured there has to be a vent for the tank......still can find it, so drilled a small hole in the cap....funs fine.

Spiders and mud dabbers like making nests in small holes.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Do you have an air leak in the fuel line? Is the tank clean? Maybe it's not the carb. Maybe it's the fuel line?
    The fuel line and tank are free and clear. Thanks!

Air leak? It worked fine before.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    First check the fuel/air mix. Next would be the plug and wires.
    It runs with ether or carb cleaner.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    When you pull off the fuel line from the carb does the gas flow?......if not......loosen the fuel cap.

Had my mower just stop on me, was in the process of checking and cleaning everything......so pulled off the gas line...no gas came out?
    Went to check the gas level, and as soon as I loosened the cap the gas flowed.

So I figured there has to be a vent for the tank......still can find it, so drilled a small hole in the cap....funs fine.

Spiders and mud dabbers like making nests in small holes.
    The gas flows. Thanks.

I'm thinking that it's a needle valve or float problem. I was hoping that a cleaning would fix it. A new carb is $90. A kit is $70.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rebel View Post
    It runs with ether or carb cleaner.
    Different air mix?
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

Card cleaner and ether is already vapor, and by passes the carb guts......spray right thru and away it goes.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I'm thinking that it's a needle valve or float problem. I was hoping that a cleaning would fix it. A new carb is $90. A kit is $70.
    Have you removed the float? did it have any fuel inside it? if no its not a float problem. most likely a needle valve , with all the additives they put in the gas nowadays it gums up the jets and needle valves if it sets too long, I had the same problem with 2 different engines.
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Different air mix?
    It ran good before.

Blog Entries

It ran good before.
    Check the plug yet?
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

I also forgot to mention The crap additives also dry out the gaskets and the rubber on the diaphragms.
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Quote Originally Posted by welderguy View Post
    Have you removed the float? did it have any fuel inside it? if no its not a float problem. most likely a needle valve , with all the additives they put in the gas nowadays it gums up the jets and needle valves if it sets too long, I had the same problem with 2 different engines.
    Yea, I removed the float and cleaned it and the needle. There still must be something in the valve. The needle was different from what I remembered. It had a rubber tip. It looked fine.

Quote Originally Posted by welderguy View Post
    I also forgot to mention The crap additives also dry out the gaskets and the rubber on the diaphragms.
    I had to make a gasket where the carb attaches to the manifold.

Yea, I removed the float and cleaned it and the needle. There still must be something in the valve. The needle was different from what I remembered. It had a rubber tip. It looked fine.
    Looks can be deceiving ( I know trust me), try replacing it. they cant be much $$$$ , may be a cheap fix.

Here is what I was told by a small engine mechanic I know. if you didn't drain the crab and blow all the fuel out before you stored it, and its been stored longer than 6 months here is what ya do. Take the carb off disassemble it, soak it in carb cleaner, put it all back together, After you do that then throw it out and get a new one, cause it will never run right again after setting up that long.