Thread: "Mayflower" book

Default "Mayflower" book

Just read the native Indians made noose traps to take deer. Also buried corn would last 1000 years ( dunno about that). Good book.

I don't know why a noose wouldn't take a deer or any other large game. As long as it was sturdy enough to hold them.

As for the corn, I would think the water content and sugar would cause the corn to rot or the sugar would just turn to starch and be pretty yukky. I suppose burying it would keep it cooler for storage, which would extend it's viability but you'd be hard pressed to make several months. That's just my thoughts on it.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Yea. I always thought of traps for smaller animals. Why limit yourself. I agree on the corn.

Dried corn will last a very long time if kept dry. Here in the south west there have been roughns found with corn and beans from 1000 years ago.

Anasazie beans were a lost food. Then some were found that were over 500 years old and when planted grew. Now that was in the 1950's. Today I can buy them at the store. They have been revised to a useful food again.

Parched corn found at the Aztec roughns(Aztec New Mexico) were about 1000 years old and still able to be eaten. Stored in earthen jars where humidity and water could not get to them.

Hot Dogs from the 1940 or 50's have been found in old trash dumps and were still pliable and looked as if just out of the package the day before.

Don
    No one knows more about a task then the person that does it, Practice makes perfect!

Don - Outstanding!! That's amazing stuff. So cool they were able to restore the seeds. I love heirloom plants. Those are some of the best tasting. Thanks for posting that. I learned something today.

As for the hot dogs. Some future alien civilization will probably find them in the same shape. You want some relish on that?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.