Thread: Best Hydration System

Blog Entries

Default Best Hydration System

So, I usually use a 100 oz. Camelbak, or a canteen for shorter hikes.

Any thoughts on THE BEST HYDRATION SYSTEM?
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

For me it depends on what bag i have or what Im doing, if I have my bob on i have a 3 lt bladder on it, my blackhawk STOMP bag is a 2 lt bag. if im hunting i just carry my canteen.
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

I prefer a three prong approach: Collect, Boil, Store. Short or long hike, all three are with me. You could argue double duty in that approach, but I have some multi-tasking going on also.

Plastic bottle/Canteen for collection.

Canteen Cup/Pot for boiling.

Bladder/Double Canteen for storage.
    "They call us civilized because we are easy to sneak up on."- Lone Waite

I go with the metal container only approach. I can collect, boil, and store all in one. It takes a while to cool off enough for storage after boiling, but it works okay. It's rare that I have to boil, instead using ceramic filters when possible.
    I am to misbehave - Captain Mal

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, you aren't entitled to your own set of facts. - Anonymous

I have given up on bladders. Every one I have had (3 camelbaks) have leaked on me. I won't put a bladder inside my dry gear so that it leaks all over the place. Plus, it is a pain in the .... to get it out and fill it, then put it back in. I use bottles. I put a pouch on my hip belt. If it leaks, it doesn't get anything important wet, plus I will notice sooner. And, since it is on my belt, it is easily filled, and easy to drink from.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

I'm a canteen kind of guy. I posted on some French 1 Liter all metal canteens I picked up last year. I've never been happy with bladders either. I think cleaning them is a pain in bladder. A little bleach in a canteen, a good slosh and rinse and you're good to go. I also carry platypus fold up containers to store more when in camp. I carry both the platy bottle and platy tank.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...french+canteen
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

camelbacks owned 2, used twice, both leaked. military canteen, canteen cup, I also have a 2 quart that has a plug in hose with a bite valve, it works great.