Thread: Black Forest CO Wildfire

Default Black Forest CO Wildfire

Colorado is experiencing wildfires again. The one closest to us is the Black Forest fire. Our ranch is just southeast of the area out on the prairie. For those familiar with the area, Black Forest is northeast of Colorado Springs and the fire started just west of the actual forest but once it struck there it was like rocket fuel going up.

We are far enough east with no trees near us so we don't think we will see evacuation. Last night, we accepted about 60 animals (in addition to our 31) from a ranch very near the fire area including llamas, alpacas (some very pregnant), goats and Meremma guard dogs to go with them. We and local folks pitched in and helped move about 100 animals to safety through the night. So far only one missing is a Meremma dog that ran off when the fire approached his home.
    Last edited by Old GI; 06-12-2013 at 12:53 PM.
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

Stay safe Buddy!!!
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Quote Originally Posted by Old GI View Post
    Colorado is experiencing wildfires again. The one closest to us is the Black Forest fire. Our ranch is just southeast of the area out on the prairie.
    I used to live near Elizabeth. I hate the idea of such a beautiful area going up in flames. Stay safe!

Stay safe. It is always refreshing, and restores my somewhat jaded view of things when neighbors and communities get together to help each other out.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I spent 37 years going all over the country fighting those wildfires. I feel for you. Sounds like you are doing what you can and need to. Good luck.
    Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth.