Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My first aid kit

Blog Entries

Cool Take a look...

If you look at Rick's IFAK, you'll see that he lashed the SAM splint to the underside of the pouch on the outside.....
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

One thing I think I forgot is something to remove ticks. The horse wrap got used on my recent trip, one of the boys sprained his ankle slightly.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

So how did the hike/camp out turn out? I was a Scoutmaster for about 10 years a long time ago. I sure miss a lot of that. Impressed with your first aid kit. I usually "load up" on the vet wrap before we go out in the woods. It is sure a great tool. I am pretty fortunate I guess but my "primary care physician" is a pretty level headed guy and has written me scripts for Epi pens, nitro, O2 and some other meds, pretty much whatever I have been brave enough to ask for really. He always questions me to make sure I know what they are to be used for and when. Of course I used to be an NREMT-I in the ER where he works so we have some positive history there.

My question for you, since I have been out of scouting for a while (15 plus years), and don't know the protocol any more, do you have a signed current release to use the EPI pens from the parents or just their verbal permission?

Also in Oklahoma regardless wither it is OTC or prescription it will be a whole lot better for you to keep all meds in their original packaging. If for some reason you have some type of "issue" it just keeps everything that much easier. I realize that space in a pack is very valuable but I like keeping things simple when I can.

Again that is an awesome kit. Glad you are trying to take care of the kids. Thank you for volunteering your time and effort!

Hey FM (and everyone else) - On your Quikclot, there is a Use By date on the back of the package. That is not an expiration date. The date is there to keep the company out of litigation more than anything. As long as the packaging is intact the product is still sterile. Even if you find the package is torn the product will work but it may not be sterile. Still, any port in a storm so if you have an arterial bleed then sterility becomes a second concern and one that can be treated after the fact.

Inside the package is a mesh bag filled with Kaolin, which is a type of clay. It's inert so there is nothing to "expire".

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Another problem you might see with the packaging is it may look swollen or bloated. If you find your package looking like that don't worry about it, it's fine. They do not vacuum seal the package even though it looks like they have. The product is baked at a high temperature as part of the manufacturing process. It then gets packaged into a heat shrink type of packaging. The package then shrinks around the product. So it isn’t vacuum sealed but rather the package simply shrinks. Some of the packages may not shrink as tight as others so it may look swollen.

You might also hear small rattles inside the packaging if you shake it. The Kaolin is pretty small stuff. It is made of little beads 2mm in diameter (yes, I actually measured one) and one or two may slip through the mesh and rattle inside the package if you shake it.

All that said, none of those conditions are problems and it's safe to use. I carry Quikclot that is 3-4 years beyond the date. I have no qualms about using it or it being used on me. So save yourself some money and just keep an eye on the packaging to make certain it is intact and still sterile and don't worry about the date on back unless you just want to.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

DSJ, sorry it took me so long to respond to your question. I took two trips in the summer and they went great. I ended up putting a 2" wide roll of silk tape in the kit before our week long trip, and pretty much used that the most. One of the boys was/is just skin and bones, and his hip belt was giving him problems. He just didn't have any natural padding on his hip....and his mom packed a whole lot of trail snacks. So, we lightened his pack a little, and I cut 4" off his sleeping map and used the silk tape to tape it to his hip belt, doubling the padding on the belt. Then I taped his back with the silk tape to prevent chaffing. It worked really well. We had a few minor cuts, but nothing serious. It took two boys a day to tell me they had blisters.....even though I told them to tell me right away so we can take care of the problem before it gets bad. I guess they learned a lesson.
    With the epi-pen, all I have is verbal permission.

Rick, that is great info about quick-clot. That stuff is expensive, and buying it every 5 years would start to get $$$$, especially if you have some in several kits.

Love this thread, lots of great information!

What kind of pack is that? I have a very compact kit that works OK, for hiking, tracking & traveling.

Used it multiple times in mexico after snorkeling and a few scrapes and bruises sufferd while in mexico. .. saved us paying for medical attention

Sometimes it feels like I beed a better kit to contain my gear better.

Here is what I have been using. Its easily attached to my pack, Belt or stored in a checked luggage. ...

uploadfromtaptalk1397264766138.jpg

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Inside contents
    uploadfromtaptalk1397265040131.jpg

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

If it works for you and you like it then that's all that matters. You said you "sometimes it feels I need a better kit". Once you get to the point that you feel your kit is no longer working for you then it's time to make some changes. Until then, if it's not broke then don't fix it.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

There is a link in the first post that goes to another thread and video describing the pack.

Keep in mind what type of kit this is, or basically the purpose behind it. It is made for backpacking with a small group of youth. If I was going solo, or with a group of adults, it would probably be different. I have another kit for the car that is more extensive. I also made one for my daughter to take to summer camp that is not so big. Rick has a kit that is extensive enough to fit in a medium ALICE pack.

I'm going to overhaul my first aid kit after this. I've been using a pre-made kit I bought online for awhile. After watching your video, I'm going to going to put a couple custom first aid kits together. I have taken a few first aid classes and I'm first aid/CPR certified.

i too have a couple epi-pens yes they are px-only. a week ago i was stung by a black hornet
    and went into anaphalactic shock and almost died.in about 8min time from sting to passingout i had just enough time to dail
    911 they found me on my deck. now i,m damm neer afried to leave the house to go in the yard cant wait
    for winter. in the picture ihave the same pouch in acu and coyote brown.no chest seals though cause i don,t plan on treating any sucking chest wounds any how.because in a postshtf world it would,nt matter serious. example
    you treat the patient but now the patient requires post trauma care do you have a private surgical bunker?
    with surgical nurses,anistisioligists blah,blah see my point. icould go on but you get the point.any how nicekit

I don't carry chest seals in the event of some end of world scenario. I carry it because someone just might get shot or impaled. It's unfortunate but random shootings happen all the time. If it happens to a loved one then I want to be able to do everything I can to cover the golden hour until they can get transported to a Trauma center. If some world ending calamity happens I'll just be another casualty and won't have to worry about it. I have no misgivings thinking I'll survive when no one else does. That sucking chest wound could happen today or tomorrow in the course of just another average day.

Wow,

I carry a few bandaids, steri strips, needle & thread, tweezers, Iodine, Neosporin, gauze, large surgical tape, small bottle with various medications like Aspirin, Tylenol, and Pepto Bismol tablets, that's it! It fits in a small pouch and weighs nearly nothing! Would not fair well with gun shot wounds but small injuries it handles ok! I do not carry huge first aid kits because most injuries are small to large cuts, and broken bones, so being able to banadage a cut is probably on of the most important things you can have. Not much in any first aid kit for a broken arm or leg and that happens a lot!

A couple things I like to carry, Pottasium permanganate many medcinal uses, purifys water mixed with sugar or glycerin or antifreeze will start fire. Glycerin for chapped lips,wind burns,mix with Pottasium Permangante for fire. Sugar packets, again can mix with Pottasium Permanganate for fire, mix ith glecering for paste for small wounds that don't seem to heal correctly, energy boost, Cayene pepper i have used many times to stop bleeding n wounds that should have been stitched. I wrap containers with duct tape to act as bandages. pine pitch works well for both disinfecting and sealing small wounds. Charcoal from the camp fire pulverized will help reduce diarea. Always have a bandana or shemung for slings or ties. On my hiking packs and Bug Out bags I have full pretty well equipped first air kit.
    Semper Paratus

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    Wow,

I carry a few bandaids, steri strips, needle & thread, tweezers, Iodine, Neosporin, gauze, large surgical tape, small bottle with various medications like Aspirin, Tylenol, and Pepto Bismol tablets, that's it! It fits in a small pouch and weighs nearly nothing! Would not fair well with gun shot wounds but small injuries it handles ok! I do not carry huge first aid kits because most injuries are small to large cuts, and broken bones, so being able to banadage a cut is probably on of the most important things you can have. Not much in any first aid kit for a broken arm or leg and that happens a lot!
    I'm a basic guy as well......had a couple of extended kits, and found a lot of thing went bad....aspirins, Benadryl, alcohol pads, tape
    ( stuck to itself ).....

Band-Aids, bandage pads tape and wraps are my basic, antibiotic, Carmex, Tums aspirin (fresh)....and my weeks worth of daily Meds.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Graf....where are you getting Potassium permanganate?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Easy enough to find on line a bought a couple pounds quite a while ago and misplaced the link for source, but a friend of mine said he found it on line as well. The Glycerin can be bought a Walmarts in the first aid isle. The P.P. doesn't seem to go bad as long as you keep it dry and it only takes a couple grains for a canteen of water very slight pink hue is what your looking for.

Potassium Permagante other uses.docPotassium Permagante other uses.doc
    Semper Paratus

Blog Entries

Cool Another source...

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Hunter, check on e-bay. They have a bunch of listings. I don't use it right now but maybe later....
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

You are welcome to carry PP if you want but that stuff will stain anything it touches including glass. It's also an oxidizer so fires involving it can be pretty intense. And don't mix it with glycerin or alcohol because there will be an explosive reaction! Given the down side of the stuff the up side isn't sufficient for me to carry it. There are other, safer things to do the same things PP will do. It's very good at what it does it's just too dangerous for me.

Great read!
    I need to overhaul my med kit!
    I do carry Benadryl, in case of a wasp/bee/scorpion sting, and everything else is basic cut, burn, bumps/bruises related.
    All stashed in a plastic Nalgene bottle.
    When all else fails, read the directions, and beware the Chihuahuacabra!