Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My first aid kit

Here is some information on PP from the EPA indicating it may not be effective against ghiardia or cryptosporida.

Section 5.4.4.3

"No information pertaining to protozoa inactivation by potassium permanganate is available in the literature. However, based on the other disinfectants discussed in this report, protozoa are significantly more resistant than viruses; therefore, it is likely that the dosages and contact times required for protozoa inactivation would be impractical."

http://www.epa.gov/ogwdw000/mdbp/pdf/alter/chapt_5.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    You are welcome to carry PP if you want but that stuff will stain anything it touches including glass. It's also an oxidizer so fires involving it can be pretty intense. And don't mix it with glycerin or alcohol because there will be an explosive reaction! Given the down side of the stuff the up side isn't sufficient for me to carry it. There are other, safer things to do the same things PP will do. It's very good at what it does it's just too dangerous for me.
    That's kinda what I was thinking.......I was looking for it and saw the "This is for sale to businesses, and schools, not for sale to private parties".....haz-mat instructions.......Sooooooooo.....Not for me.....not worth the trouble....to me.
    Thanks for posting
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

The problem with it being an oxidizer is if you spill any treated water or it leaks on metal such as knives or firearms it will cause them to rust. The higher the concentration the quicker it will rust.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    You are welcome to carry PP if you want but that stuff will stain anything it touches including glass. It's also an oxidizer so fires involving it can be pretty intense. And don't mix it with glycerin or alcohol because there will be an explosive reaction! Given the down side of the stuff the up side isn't sufficient for me to carry it. There are other, safer things to do the same things PP will do. It's very good at what it does it's just too dangerous for me.
    I have started many fires with it without any explosive reation it simply starts smoking then turns into flames, yes the purple staining needs to be considered, but simply washes off hands etc will stain fabris but can also act as distress signal. Bleach used for purifying water can also cause staining, just be careful. Military used PP for years and still refer to it in many survival books. to each there own,agreed.
    Semper Paratus

Quote Originally Posted by Graf
    Bleach used for purifying water can also cause staining

Does that in the washer, too.
    Yeah, I got THE LOOK when the clothes came out.

So.....does potassium permanganate freeze?....Expand in the heat?.....Leak easily?.

I have a bad habit of putting stuff in pockets/bag/glove boxes/tool boxes and forgetting about them
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

How i keep mine is in one of those pill casules then seal with thin duct tape to prevent accidental opening, its a powder/granular form. no it doesn't freeze unless mixed with water. No doesn't leak easily either I always open over a sink if indoors if it gets in the sink simply rinse off. i keep a capsule in all my coats during the winter and one in my vehicle all the time, small amounts can provide many water and medcinal purposes. I have drank treated water with out any problems. when mixing for water purifying very slight pink hue, shake it up let it set 30-60 minutes depending on clarity and how cold the water is, same with iodine or bleach. best thing is I have yet to find out the shelf life it seems to be indefinant. i also like the fact that the pink hue lets you know the water has been treated.
    Semper Paratus