Thread: This sounds corny

Default This sounds corny

In this high rise world has anyone thought of using a hangglider as a bug out vehicle

I don't think that would work so well, but an autogryro might work okay. They're much cheaper and easier to lisence for than helicopters, and I imagine more fuel-efficient. Not much lift capacity though.

For those who don't know what they are:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autogyro

It's a strange concept, but it works. I have a friend who flies them sometimes. He says they're a comfortable ride, so long as you don't hit any really strong downdrafts. That would be the big disadvantage of any flying bug out vehicle in a high-rise area: those buildings create some weird thermals, and some strong winds. This is why you don't see too many BASE jumpers trying their sport in cities.
    I am to misbehave - Captain Mal

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, you aren't entitled to your own set of facts. - Anonymous

I suppose if you had a flat roof to assemble and launch from and the building were high enough you could get airborne. Of course it would be a bit like flying in a canyon in some place like New York.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Tough proposition; what Rick said, plus, the building would have to be around the perimeters of Manhattan so that you could avoid navigating around other tall buildings before you clear it all. Then you'll have to land somewhere safe and this area is population dense for miles and miles around.