Thread: watching a mountain man rerun

Default watching a mountain man rerun

I was watching a rerun of mountain men, produced by the history channel. Anyhoo in this episode one of the fellas ran out of firewood so he went out into the woods and cut firewood so he had some to keep warm. The wife looked at me and I looked at her and chuckled. We both grew up with wood heat as a sole source of heat and in our early years burned wood as our sole source of heat. And we know and have known plenty of folks that burned wood as a sole source of heat. Folks that burn only wood or heat don't run out of wood in the middle of the winter. Generally they have a couple years put up. If wood is cut in winter it's simply done because it's a relaxing chore.

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

People up here cut wood in summer, haul it home, and chop it in winter. It's a lot easier to chop at -20. But yea, a couple of years worth ahead is the norm. Otherwise, you're just having a fire for ambiance.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

LOL, I saw that as well......then when the sled, with one tree, being cut down surrounded by wolves (que music and sound track).......Then the commentator says.....That will heat the house for a month......LOL, LOL, LOL.

I can see the director, saying, "Hey we need footage of ya cutting down a tree".........
    MM says "Why, I don't need any more wood?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I figured it was a set up deal. Still had to chuckle though.

Banned

IMHO, "reality" TV is just mind numbing garbage. I have tried to watch the mountain man series and have a hard time keeping any interest in the program. I usually just turn the TV off mid-episode. If it was more documentary and less hyped-up drama, I could probably find some educational/entertainment value in it. As it is now, I've got enough "drama" in my life.

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Life Below Zero seems to be doing a pretty good job of just documenting. Of course, the people they are filming have enough drama just living the lives they do.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Too much made up stuff on Mountain Men for my liking. I realize it's TV and all about the ratings. Guess I'm not a contributor to their ratings.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Most all the shows similar to this, Alaska the last frontier, Hillbilly Blood, Etc. are all made for TV. You gotta keep that in mind. But they are still better than 99% of anything else on. At least the scenary is nice to watch.

Twilight Zone re-runs......Now that a class act.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I heat with wood and have for about 15 years. I mark my dead trees in the summer and dont cut them till winter. They take up less space standing. I try to keep at least one month of wood at a time. They are dry and ready to immediately burn when I cut them.