1 11.11%
  • Teaching challenge

0 0%
  • Double half hitch challenge

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skills/Preparedness Challenge III Voting

Default Skills/Preparedness Challenge III Voting

The voting is open. Here is a recap of the choices with a little more detail than in the poll.

1. Find, and identify five native birds in your area. Seasonal fowl are fine. Give a description for each, long or short. The description could simply be sight and sound identification, but I encourage descriptors on just what the bird can tell you about the environment. "Boots in the field" is a must, and a "google-fu" supplement is welcome.

2. Take your existing BOB from wherever you store it OR pack a bag from any of the lists you see here or on the net and add 2 quarts of water to carry. Drive to the closest wooded park with trails and hike out 2.5 miles. Use your kit to make a fire with materials found at your site. Make a shelter with the materials you have plus materials found locally. Boil 2 cups of water and cook a meal on your fire. (camping overnight optional) Tear down your campsite and leave no trace. Hike back to your vehicle. Report back on what changes you would make to your kit.

3. Identify 5 edible plants in your area. I would say that you should try them as well. Pictures or it didn't happen.

4. Make a fire three different ways.
    Nothing specific. You can use what you would normally carry or find in your area.
    Matches, lighter, friction, magnifying glass, battery and steel wool, fero rod, etc.
    You can use lint, petroleum cotton, Char cloth, Mayan dust, etc.
    You can use a knife, saw, hatchet, machete, axe,...
    It's more of a self challenge. List what you tried. Was it successful? What you would do different.
    For example: I used a fero rod with char cloth. I used the char cloth in a bird nest of dried grass and jute twine to make a flame.

5. Collect one cup of water by any means other than tap,stream,lake etc. Treat it to make it safe to drink.

6. make a small fishing kit, get the boots in the field with the kit, catch fish, cook it in the field and use a edible wild plant as a side dish.

7. Instead of going out and doing something on your own, the challenge is to TEACH someone at least one skill, preferably someone who has no experience in bushcraft, survival, or any type of outdoor living. You pick the person and the skill(s) and report back.

8. I Use to teach rope and knots in the rescue squad and you would be surprised how many ways there are to tie a double half hitch. This is one of the most used knots I think there is. Now I know there will be those that will argue with me but explore the many ways to tie them and you will I think you will agree with me. The winner would be the one with the most ways.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Late to the party but wanted to suggest #9:Find a girlfriend for Sourdough.
    No, I'm not kidding...our AK members have a leg up, but it's a challenge open to anyone who has the cajones to take it on.

The specifics: Find a lady, make introductions & get her in touch with SD. Make sure some correspondence took place. Need proof to that effect from SD and the lady.
    Now, whether they meet or not is up to them.

I had to go with the BOB challenge. I don't have a BOB myself. Just a light camping setup probably seen here already.

B, not touching that.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    Late to the party but wanted to suggest #9:Find a girlfriend for Sourdough.
    No, I'm not kidding...our AK members have a leg up, but it's a challenge open to anyone who has the cajones to take it on.

The specifics: Find a lady, make introductions & get her in touch with SD. Make sure some correspondence took place. Need proof to that effect from SD and the lady.
    Now, whether they meet or not is up to them.
    It's time to vote, you'll have to add skeeters to the resume next quarter.
    "They call us civilized because we are easy to sneak up on."- Lone Waite

Goog...He's just this guy greatgoogamooga's Avatar
    East coast. Too Close to DC for my own comfort.

Looks like I'm in for BOB as well. Now it's time to get rid of that full sized axe, Mosin Nagant, 2 weeks supply of canned tuna and pet rock collection, before I have to carry it 5 miles.

Goog

Bump........
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Oh come on People only eight votes.
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Looks like its time to strap on your BOB and go for a hike.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I'm in for the challenge as proposed. But, there are many set for a completely different scenario/condition. I hope that we can accommodate that crowd.

There is some comment about boots in the field and I would like to respond. There isn't a lot of challenge here for the average outdoorsman

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    The voting is open. Here is a recap of the choices with a little more detail than in the poll.

1. Find, and identify five native birds in your area. Seasonal fowl are fine. Give a description for each, long or short. The description could simply be sight and sound identification, but I encourage descriptors on just what the bird can tell you about the environment. "Boots in the field" is a must, and a "google-fu" supplement is welcome.

This trip I saw a Swallow Tailed kite and a Black Vulture soaring together. I tried to video tape it and have the extremely poor results. I saw a whole group of Black Vultures sitting on fence posts and eating a cow. I saw Sandhill Cranes in groups and I usually see them in pairs (that video came out decent). Redwing Black birds did their thing. Great Blue Herons and Great Egrits, Cattle Egrits, Ibises including a gang load of juveniles, Limpkins, Red Shouldered and Red Tailed Hawks, Barred owls, Eastern Medowlarks, cattle Egret, Northern Bob White and Quail, Ground Dove and Wood Storks.

2. Take your existing BOB from wherever you store it OR pack a bag from any of the lists you see here or on the net and add 2 quarts of water to carry. Drive to the closest wooded park with trails and hike out 2.5 miles. Use your kit to make a fire with materials found at your site. Make a shelter with the materials you have plus materials found locally. Boil 2 cups of water and cook a meal on your fire. (camping overnight optional) Tear down your campsite and leave no trace. Hike back to your vehicle. Report back on what changes you would make to your kit.

We made fire after a monsoon and cooked on it.

3. Identify 5 edible plants in your area. I would say that you should try them as well. Pictures or it didn't happen.

I have video of walking through camp. Nothing to them . Spanish Needles, Poke Salet, Guava, Papaya, Hog Plum, Ceasar Weed, Sour Orange, Lime, Grape Fruit, Ficus berries, Saw Palmetto hearts and berries, Cabbage palm hearts and berries, Simpson stopper, Water hyacinth, water lettuce, saw grass, cattails...

4. Make a fire three different ways.
    Nothing specific. You can use what you would normally carry or find in your area.
    Matches, lighter, friction, magnifying glass, battery and steel wool, fero rod, etc.
    You can use lint, petroleum cotton, Char cloth, Mayan dust, etc.
    You can use a knife, saw, hatchet, machete, axe,...
    It's more of a self challenge. List what you tried. Was it successful? What you would do different.
    For example: I used a fero rod with char cloth. I used the char cloth in a bird nest of dried grass and jute twine to make a flame.

We made a fire from ALL wet material using PJ balls and a ferrocium rod that now belongs to my nephew.

5. Collect one cup of water by any means other than tap,stream,lake etc. Treat it to make it safe to drink.

Collecting one cup of water this weekend would have been a joke, The grape vines which would not require treating that are large enough to give a good deal of water I usually pass on. Why cut resources you may need. This weekend you could scoop the rainwater off of the ground or catch it. We had 3" in a matter of less than an hour.

6. make a small fishing kit, get the boots in the field with the kit, catch fish, cook it in the field and use a edible wild plant as a side dish.

7. Instead of going out and doing something on your own, the challenge is to TEACH someone at least one skill, preferably someone who has no experience in bushcraft, survival, or any type of outdoor living. You pick the person and the skill(s) and report back.

Lots of lessons taught to my nephews this weekend.

8. I Use to teach rope and knots in the rescue squad and you would be surprised how many ways there are to tie a double half hitch. This is one of the most used knots I think there is. Now I know there will be those that will argue with me but explore the many ways to tie them and you will I think you will agree with me. The winner would be the one with the most ways.

I don't disagree at all. The goal was to get more people involved and "grow" the progression. We have a lot of members that aren't experienced woodsmen so by keeping it simple at the start it shouldn't be intimidating. Additionally the experienced members that were able to participate could sort of mentor others, or at least set some sort of example to demystify thing.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Batch View Post
    ........................There isn't a lot of challenge here for the average outdoorsman

Perform every single one of those challenges for 365 days straight, first time, no miss. Average doesn't cut it when the "Winds of Thor Blow Cold".

Banned
    Blog Entries

YES, all they have to do is read about it. and Not a big book either..........just a paragraph.......OK, just look at some photos of someone else doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by intothenew View Post
    I'm in for the challenge as proposed. But, there are many set for a completely different scenario/condition. I hope that we can accommodate that crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
    YES, all they have to do is read about it................................................ .

I'm still a couple of weeks out on posting, I think. Lawn and garden has me hog tied, and I have to travel across one of the big ponds in the next few weeks. What's your excuse for not posting?

Quote Originally Posted by intothenew View Post
    Perform every single one of those challenges for 365 days straight, first time, no miss. Average doesn't cut it when the "Winds of Thor Blow Cold".
    Do what 365 days a year?

Identify 5 native birds?

2?

3? It could be the same 5? I learn edibles all the time.

4. fire can be a challenge after a torrential down pour. But, I have started fires in the mud in the rain when our UTV has acted up because the water got too deep. All the while folks saying no way your getting that started.

Water isn't a problem. I carry multiple simple purifies and containers to boil and carry water.

I have a kit like Crash's fishing kit and using a willow stick for a rod we have caught shiners, sunfish and bass.

My nephews learned different knots, how to use a ferrocium rod and various other skills this weekend.

I don't know anyone that spends more time in the woods then me and my brother Sean. We are not survival experts. We are swamp rats.

I don't personally know anyone that lives in the wilderness 365 a year. LOL

I used to but it was 250 miles from my nearest neighbor so I have no proof.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I used to but it was 250 miles from my nearest neighbor so I have no proof.
    Uphill both ways Too!
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

No, silly. Just barefoot.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Rick was also born in a log cabin he built himself.

Even coached mom through the delivery.