Thread: Off the grid

Default Off the grid

My wife and I have been talking about buying some land somewhere and trying to live a simple life. Where would be a good place to buy some land for a good price? We are wanting a place where it snows, has a lake or stream and woods. I am a good hunter, fisherman and always learning new survival skills. We are not trying to just go and survive but wanting to kind of live off what the land provides.

Blog Entries

.....Maine
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Where are you at now?
    What do you do for money?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...V-casting-call

Check out the link and get in touch if interested. You never know, but it just might be the ticket.
    Good luck!

I am in South Texas. We want to do this in the years to come. Savings and VA disability.

Anyone know anything about Terlingua Texas besides there is not much there? Very cheap land.

Be sure to stock up on backup provisions, perfect your food-preservation techniques, and try to get some arable land to grow a garden/small farm on. Hunting and fishing and foraging will make you mighty skinny, if you keep it up too long
    I am to misbehave - Captain Mal

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, you aren't entitled to your own set of facts. - Anonymous

Wasn't trying to be a smartazz....but it takes money, or a way to make money to.....

1) Buy the land/pay taxes.......cheap land is cheap for a reason, bad soil, no water, bad weather, no amenities, there is always a reason.
    2) Provide shelter of some sort......Build, buy, stack rocks something.....
    3) Procure food, hunting. fishing, foraging, gardening, raising stock.... require a lot of energy and time for needed calories.
    4) Off grid, usually means some way to heat, light, cook, or keep provisions (refrigeration, or alternate)....either solar, wind, hydro, wood....all require some sort of equipment to make work. or gear.

That just for starters.....so how primitive are you willing to live?....DW?

Terlingua, Texas....looking it up appears to be a mining ghost town......mercury ore....who owns it?, water rights?, crops(?)....can't say?
    Gotta be hot.....South Texas.

Let's narrow it down a bit:

Maximum Zone 6

Adjacent, or near, a National Forest.

.....disability.......

That's snow, hunting/fishing, and a steady income. You need at least a quarter acre to intensive garden, a dehydrator and pressure cooker, and you're set. Canvas, masonry, framing, and earth works are all optional.
    "They call us civilized because we are easy to sneak up on."- Lone Waite

Banned

Terlingua is commonly referred to as being in the "Big Bend" region of Texas. Even though it's way out west and close to the Mexican border, no self respecting Texan would call it either West or South Texas without some qualification. For example: "I'm going out west to the Big Bend country". But your underlying premise is correct. Weather can be a challenge for the uninitiated. Spring is my favorite season in that part of the state, all two weeks of it. Land can be bought for a fraction of what you could expect to spend in other parts of the state, its just that you have to buy it in LARGE tracts to realize the savings. Don't expect to get any private mineral interest in the property either, that almost never happens anymore. There are some great communities out there, but it takes a special breed to call that country home. If I were relocating to the area, knowing what I know, I would prefer something in the Alpine/Marfa/Ft Davis region. The altitude makes the summer heat a bit more bearable.

My disibility is nothing that prevents me from anything besides running for a distance which i was never good at in the first place. Im not moving anywhere soon. Just looking at different places. I would prefer place that gets snow. We are wanting to be self sufficient not just surviving. Raising some animals and gardening. The reason I was curious about the Big Ben area is that it's 10 hours from me so I could purchase the land early and gradually get it to where I wanted it to be before moving.

I gonna guess that 10 hours is about 500 miles from your location, which is approx. 2-3 tanks of fuel....2 pushing it......I don't like running low.
    I like the idea that I can get to where I want to go on one tank.

Now look at the map and see where 500 miles would take you in the other directions.

We did just what you are proposing, and after 20+ years "The Place" is pretty much up and running as a recreational, retirement, homestead, BOL....our "land" or what ever in in vogue these days.

Causal search was a couple of years, serious search a couple of more.....the finally a location WE both liked, could afford,....so went for it.

I say "WE" in all seriousness, because if BOTH or ALL people involved are not in agreement...there is a good chance, you will only end up with 1/2 of what ever it is, at best.....So make sure your dream is shared.

Also keep in mind that most all homesteading type jobs, chores, and activities are labor intensive, handled much better when younger....or as you get older, hopefully you are in a position to be able to afford mechanical help for even the simplest job.

Thanks for the advice.