Thread: Paper is dead

Default Paper is dead

http://www.youtube.com/embed/V_gOZDWQj3Q?rel=0

What happens when the batteries go dead?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Blog Entries

I'm stealing that.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Darn, I was hoping to hear something about draw-down on the paper industry.... highly pollution-causing, destructive of forests, and wasteful in comparison to alternatives, many paper products from the states are simply... not great. Paper of course causes less pollution than plastics, which is why Amazon's new packaging is so good, but it's more an issue of what resource is used as the source for paper. Trees are inefficient this way, whereas hemp (the industrial kind, not the "fun" kind) is super efficient, sometimes producing 15 times as much paper for the same amount of land, water, and other resources.

Just my $0.02
    I am to misbehave - Captain Mal

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, you aren't entitled to your own set of facts. - Anonymous

Goog...He's just this guy greatgoogamooga's Avatar
    East coast. Too Close to DC for my own comfort.

yes, but you cant' make an iPad out of hemp....wait, I think I see a patent coming.

Goog

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GreatUsername View Post
    Darn, I was hoping to hear something about draw-down on the paper industry.... highly pollution-causing, destructive of forests, and wasteful in comparison to alternatives, many paper products from the states are simply... not great. Paper of course causes less pollution than plastics, which is why Amazon's new packaging is so good, but it's more an issue of what resource is used as the source for paper. Trees are inefficient this way, whereas hemp (the industrial kind, not the "fun" kind) is super efficient, sometimes producing 15 times as much paper for the same amount of land, water, and other resources.

Just my $0.02
    Wow. I hate to disappoint you, but I own several thousand books. I get at least 10 new ones each month.

I get a comforting feeling when I curl up on the couch with a good book and a cup of coffee. I use all of the on-line legal research tools there are, but I still prefer to draft documents with bookmarks sticking out of books scattered all over my desk.

The nice thing about PAPER is that you can rely on it when the power fails or the internet is down.

I have most of my personal documents, photos, and such all scanned and stored on redundant thumb drives and external disks, all neat and secure, with some even stored with Faraday protection and others in my BOB.

But guess what.... I've printed out tens of thousands of pages of manuals of all types, copies of personal and legal documents, medical records, family photographs, family disaster plans, maps and charts, and things of every other name and nature, all of which are kept securely locked away in binders and folders, available in seconds if needed.

Wanna' buy a few cases of TP, GreatUsername?
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

I still get and read my newspaper every morning, with my coffee........first thing.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    I still get and read my newspaper every morning, with my coffee........first thing.
    Chuckle... newspapers are one of the few things I read almost exclusively on-line. Easier to verify, google, and source check that way.
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

Yeah, my news is online for that very reason. About the only reason we take the newspaper is for the grocery coupons. I save more money on groceries through the coupons that the paper costs.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I am so glad to see that I am not the only one who still reads PAPER books! I look at a computer screen all day for work...I don't need my evening entertainment on a computer screen too. Like Ken, I have all of the important stuff backed-up, but I also have paper copies of everything too.

Back to the OP - seen it before - thanks for the afternoon chuckle at seeing it again.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Added benefit of industrial hemp paper: you can make it yourself more easily and of higher grade than wood-pulp paper. That's right homesteaders: hemp should be on your list of subsistence crops, (where legal) if you want paper products.

Like TP

Also rope, clothing, protein additive in diet, fiber additive, treating cholesterol, making higher quality turpentine and other chemical extracts... and faster growing than a tree. If it weren't for the other, THC-bearing cannabis, regular old industrial hemp would be a huge industry, because it wouldn't be regulated the way it currently is.

I definitely understand the appeal of solid books. They're not wasted paper at all. It's all the forms and red tape and paperwork for corporate and academic work that could be made electric quite easily. I actually can't enjoy books read from a screen, even on e-ink screens like a Kindle. Also, thanks for the funny OP!

Apologies for hijacking the thread.
    I am to misbehave - Captain Mal

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, you aren't entitled to your own set of facts. - Anonymous

I guess this wasn't the only use......E-mail today.
    Quote>
    Seniors Still Need Newspapers
    I was visiting my niece last night when I asked if I could borrow a newspaper.
    This is the 21st century," she said. 'I don't waste money on newspapers. Here, use my iPad."
    I can tell you this. That fly never knew what hit him