Thread: Any Coin Collectors Out There?

Default Any Coin Collectors Out There?

I took my family to Charlotte last weekend, and my parents met us there from NY. Among some things they brought, my mother gave me an envelope that was in a safe deposit box from when her father passed away (1973). She set it aside at that time for me, and forgot about it. Inside were two 2.5 dollar gold coins. One was an Indian Head from 1910 and the other was a Liberty coin from 1853.

I don't think I will sell them, being that the only other thing I have from my grandfather was his Marlin .22 that I got a few years ago. However, I would be interested in their worth, if anybody knows?

From what I can tell, they are common coins, so I guess the value would be whatever the gold is worth. Is that correct?

Thanks in advance for any help!
    Not all who wander are lost - Tolkien

Banned

Your coins do have a precious metal "melt" value. All gold and silver coins do. As for numismatic value, date, mint and condition all have some bearing on the collectable value. According to pcgs.com, the 1853 Liberty ranges from $350 to $8,000 and your 1910 ranges from $330 to $47,500. If these coins show much wear and are loose in the envelope, chances are they will appraise closer to the lower end of the range.

Ties to an ancestor......priceless!

Quote Originally Posted by Cast-Iron View Post
    Your coins do have a precious metal "melt" value. All gold and silver coins do. As for numismatic value, date, mint and condition all have some bearing on the collectable value. According to pcgs.com, the 1853 Liberty ranges from $350 to $8,000 and your 1910 ranges from $330 to $47,500. If these coins show much wear and are loose in the envelope, chances are they will appraise closer to the lower end of the range.

Ties to an ancestor......priceless!
    They are both loose in envelope, so I imagine they will be valued on the lower end, which means they will be easier to hold on to. If one was valued at $47,500, I'd sell it in a heartbeat. Sorry, Grandpa!

Thanks for your response!

Keep in mind, that dealers, most people go to one for an estimate, will bid low, and sell high....
    It would be interesting to find out.

That said, there was a time when gold was supposed to be cashed in...which these weren't, so it would appear that maybe Grampaw, or Grandma were kinda 'stashing them away for a rainy day"....having that much money, (worth a lot more these days), and hanging on to it was a big deal, back then.

I would hold on to them........just for a rainy day......
    Very cool though.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Actually, gold coins and gold certificates were exempt from the Executive Order. You could own $100 bucks worth of gold coins at the time. The exemption was included specifically to protect coin collectors.

There are myriad numismatic books that will give you a close approximation on the value of your coins. You really should place them in coin protectors to ensure no further degradation in value occurs. They come in different sizes so you should be able to find ones that fit your coins.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

If it were me they would be in a safe deposit box and forgotten about. Imagine what they will be worth to your children or grandchildren.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I have a bunch of coins and some coin collections. A couple canadian coin collections too. My favourite is a couple large pennies that were laid on a long gone ancestor eyes at their funeral. Sadly every generations telling, the story gets a little fuzzier.

ANTIQUES ROAD SHOW BABY!!! lol

I have a bunch of old stuff that I need to go through. I'm not a collector, more like an acquirer. I have a pre 1900's penny (don't know the date off hand). A couple of other pre 1965 coins, and some other stuff. All inherited from my grandpa. I'm actually sad I lost the jug of pennies my great uncle gave me. Not sure what happened to it while I was in college. I'm sure it got cashed in, but I would have liked to have gone through it. For a while I was tying for a penny for every year from 1900 - 2000, and I'm actually not that far off, just stopped scouring through loose change to finish it out.

I have a whole bunch of coins in a jug (pocket change) that I'm debating going through for pre 1965 coins or the EXTREMELY RARE shot at a small handful of rare coins that did make it into circulation. Figure it can't hurt to just take a look while I sit around with nothing better to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post

If it were me they would be in a safe deposit box and forgotten about. Imagine what they will be worth to your children or grandchildren.
    My grandfather gave the coins to my mom, not sure when. When he died in 1973, I was less than a year old. My mom put the coins for me and my brother and sister in the safe deposit box. She must have given my brother and sister their coins some time ago, but because I live so far away, she forgot about them. So, I will be happy sticking them back in my safe to save for my kids.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Keep in mind, that dealers, most people go to one for an estimate, will bid low, and sell high....
    It would be interesting to find out.

That said, there was a time when gold was supposed to be cashed in...which these weren't, so it would appear that maybe Grampaw, or Grandma were kinda 'stashing them away for a rainy day"....having that much money, (worth a lot more these days), and hanging on to it was a big deal, back then.

I would hold on to them........just for a rainy day......
    Very cool though.
    I took them to a dealer today and he offered $225 each. Yikes, a lot lower than I figured. I politely thanked him and left the store.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurelius95 View Post
    I took them to a dealer today and he offered $225 each. Yikes, a lot lower than I figured. I politely thanked him and left the store.
    Now go back and see what they would cost you for the same coins.....LOL
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Now go back and see what they would cost you for the same coins.....LOL
    No kidding!!

There are a few other dealers nearby, so I will stop in and give them a visit. Either way, I believe I will be hanging on to them.

Call a dealer first and ask about buying a coin as suggested. This way there is no knowledge of a potential coin coming in... Gotta be sneaky... lol

This way, if he tells you its, say, 1000 bucks to purchase one, and he offers you 200 for it, you'll know their markup (granted there are differences in coin quality, but still, it will give you an idea).

Just be glad you don't have the dilemma of them being Gold Double Eagles...... http://rt.com/usa/gold-coins-pennsylvania-family-626/
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by JPGreco View Post
    Call a dealer first and ask about buying a coin as suggested. This way there is no knowledge of a potential coin coming in... Gotta be sneaky... lol

This way, if he tells you its, say, 1000 bucks to purchase one, and he offers you 200 for it, you'll know their markup (granted there are differences in coin quality, but still, it will give you an idea).
    That's a great idea!

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Just be glad you don't have the dilemma of them being Gold Double Eagles...... http://rt.com/usa/gold-coins-pennsylvania-family-626/
    Wow.