Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Land deal completed.

The neighbor crops my land, rotates corn, beans, hay, and Unit two has winter wheat this year.

Sounds like a lot, but only 10.6 acres......need to register 10 acres for a number of years.
    They do that, as well as plant and harvest....got my number, cuts my taxes from recreational to Ag....and if I work at it can get a discount some places on equipment, sales tax and other AG stuff.
    That would is a stretch at this point so just, cropping.

This was another lesson, learned the hard way......but I was surprised at how many people didn't know this.
    It also cuts my grass, and keeps trails open.

A couple neighbors keep beef cattle, and kind board them with the farmer, when you have a 100 what's a couple of more?......and all go to market together...but its their cows, so they get the break.
    If you keep them in the yard too long, and get names......they become 800 to 1000 pound lawn mowers.......don't name any thing you are gonna eat.

Like I said......lots of tiny details (expensive) that have to be learned....not many will just "Tell" you....you kinda got to buy them a beer once in a while, and squeeze it out.
    Just spend a lot of time listening......smartazz city people become entertainment.
    Last edited by hunter63; 06-01-2013 at 09:53 AM. Reason: splin'
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

We totally appreciate the advice. At this point we are just trying to get stuff in order for the final total move up next year today! June 1 2014, GOD willing, we will only be living in WI. The transfer down here in 2009 almost broke all of our hearts but DH was too young to retire and didn't want to leave a job he has loved for over 30 years.

With the AG stuff, did you call DATCP or just talk to farmers? I have a fenced in area for an orchard and an separate fenced in area for a huge garden. But we will also have animals; hope to have 6+ chickens and 2-3 goats. 30+ acres are heavily wooded so we won't be "farming" those and pulled them out of the managed forest land program when we bought that parcel.

We are happy to sit and buy anyone a beer -my Dad worked for one of the big Milwaukee breweries.
    But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD. Joshua 24:15

I hear ya......We have been "down sizing" for about 3 years now.....(Yeah right)....but it is interesting on what becomes important, and what isn't.

Most of our research was first thru the local neighbors, then let them forward you to the USDA, or DATCP.....always be sure what your actions set in motion.....The local guys know what to push, and when to just keep your mouth shut.

Sometimes it better not to advertise everything....I you get my drift...LOL......
    The Local way and the City way can be vastly different.....and greasing the wheels at the local saloon goes a long way, with "contacts"..... I don't conduct business there.

A simple, How it going?......or what have you been up to lately?.....When asked...(insert current project), "Looking to build a tractor shed".

Now generally you would move on to the weather, hunting season, or what ever....but every once in a while....You will get the ..."You know my BIL does that.".......and away you go.

I using the saloon as an example....church suppers, benefit's, farmers markets, any kind of festival...are all fun and helps you kinda blend in.

In our area families have been the for 100-150 years...everyone is related, somehow....so making a friend, or contact, opens everything up considerably.

Default Up Date

Sending a letter to my land seller....confirmed that no more payments were needed....so a trip to my lawyer guy and dropping off the paper work,...so in a week or so and a couple of fees later I should have the final deed, all registered.

Now I can roll around in my wheat field, this years crop, and say.....mine, mine, mine.......

Priceless.

And in other news......

The State of Wisconsin just announced they will be the site of the new U.S. nuclear waste disposal site. Ground breaking in the current wheat field is scheduled to begin two days after Hunter gets his papers.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    And in other news......

The State of Wisconsin just announced they will be the site of the new U.S. nuclear waste disposal site. Ground breaking in the current wheat field is scheduled to begin two days after Hunter gets his papers.
    LOL....I think that was the other particle I was looking at..... 66 acres for $35K.
    Was a mistake, but was wondering if it was haunted, or a mining site, waste dump.....what?
    Too bad, I called the guy and wanted to buy it with my credit card.

Congrats, Hunter! Must be an awesome feeling. I can only hope to get there sooner rather than later.
    Not all who wander are lost - Tolkien

Hopefully you can get there when you are young enough to enjoy it.....
    I do like it when a plan comes together.

Will Ruth be there for the grand opening???

Don't know....LOL....Most likely not, and I will get to live....if you know what I mean.

Good Show Hunter63, Good Show!