Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TOPS M4X Punisher knife

There are a lot of things a big knife can't do that a small one can.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Looks like an awesome knife. It isn't a really good combat knife shape, nor is it a good bushcraft knife shape. It can probably cut carrots really well though.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

I've always thought of a big knife as a replacement for a hatchet rather than a small knife.

Might as well get one of those Rambo knives and just get it over with, and you can also get that nifty little survival kit in the handle

I look at it like this. When your on a job site and see a guy pull out some combo tool that was advertised as a do all. You already know it does none of those tasks as well as a dedicated tool. It also says a lot about that persons knowledge.

I think you could apply that same mind set to large knives like these. Could you perform the tasks that you would normally use an axe, hatchet, machete, butchers knife, skinning knife, etc...? Probably could get by with it in a somewhat passable fashion.

But, would you really want to skin something with that big of a blade? I would also think you would fatigue your arm and wrist a lot quicker trying to perform detailed work with that thing.

I'd look at buying a couple of different edged tools as you see the need.

Over many years hunting, camping, hiking, exploring out in the boonies in quite a few different topgraphical areas and weather conditions, I long ago came to realize that for my needs, a good fixed blade knife with a 4 inch blade is best for me.

If I want to do some chopping, I'll use my hatchet or axe, and if they are not appropriate for the situation, I'll use my bow saw. I've found too that it's less time and energy consuming to just throw logs on the fire and push them in as they burn, than chopping and sawing, etc. I'm kinda lazy, of course, and would rather relax than sweat and work.

These three have worked for me for a long, long time. Top is a Bill Buchman forged custom I had him make in 1982. Second is my old Camillus Stockman. It is always in my pocket.Third is a gerber A475 I bought around 1975.

If others like to carry and use those big honkin' knives, fine with me.

Just my opinion.

S.M.
    Last edited by Seniorman; 06-02-2013 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Correct typo.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Blog Entries

Cool well now...

Quote Originally Posted by Batch View Post
    I look at it like this. When your on a job site and see a guy pull out some combo tool that was advertised as a do all. You already know it does none of those tasks as well as a dedicated tool. It also says a lot about that persons knowledge.

I think you could apply that same mind set to large knives like these. Could you perform the tasks that you would normally use an axe, hatchet, machete, butchers knife, skinning knife, etc...? Probably could get by with it in a somewhat passable fashion.

But, would you really want to skin something with that big of a blade? I would also think you would fatigue your arm and wrist a lot quicker trying to perform detailed work with that thing.

I'd look at buying a couple of different edged tools as you see the need.
    Soooo, you don't think I really should carry my SAK?........

On the serious side, I refuse to tell somebody else what knife to buy, I just know what works for me. That being said, if you think about it, if you lose a combo knife such as the one being discussed here, you also lose several other tools at the same time! As for the benefits of having either a big knife or a smaller one, there's a good reason why the Becker Combat Bowie includes a little knife in it's own little sheath riding piggy-back on the larger one! Also, I'm with Seniorman on using the fire to cut logs as opposed to wasting energy chopping if'n I don't absolutely have to. And if I have to then it's a saw or an ax!...
    Last edited by Sarge47; 06-02-2013 at 04:44 PM.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Seniorman View Post
    Over many years hunting, camping, hiking, exploring out in the boonies in quite a few different topgraphical areas and weather conditions, I long ago came to realize that for my needs, a good fixed blade knife with a 4 inch blade is best for me.

If I want to do some chopping, I'll use my hatchet or axe, and if they are not appropriate for the situation, I'll use my bow saw. I've found too that it's less time and energy consuming to just throw logs on the fire and push them in as they burn, than chopping and sawing, etc. I'm kinda lazy, of course, and would rather relax than sweat and work.

These three have worked for me for a long, long time. Top is a Bill Buchman forged custom I had him make in 1982. Second is my old Camillus Stockman. It is always in my pocket.Third is a gerber A475 I bought around 1975.

If others like to carry and use those big honkin' knives, fine with me.

Just my opinion.

S.M.
    Man, that is a rare old Gerber. Good cutter selection.

I carry one about that size and a big honkin' knife.
    Last edited by Winter; 06-02-2013 at 05:31 PM.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    Soooo, you don't think I really should carry my SAK?........

On the serious side, I refuse to tell somebody else what knife to buy, I just know what works for me. That being said, if you think about it, if you lose a combo knife such as the one being discussed here, you also lose several other tools at the same time! As for the benefits of having either a big knife or a smaller one, there's a good reason why the Becker Combat Bowie includes a little knife in it's own little sheath riding piggy-back on the larger one! Also, I'm with Seniorman on using the fire to cut logs as opposed to wasting energy chopping if'n I don't absolutely have to. And if I have to then it's a saw or an ax!...

I carry a leatherman. Its a pinch tool though. I use it for opening cans and putting things into coals and out of coals.

And yes, 95% of the time we burn our wood into smaller pieces. We use and axe or maul to split wood down when needed and a chainsaw when we find a big ole chunk of oak that needs to be transported to camp.

yup those are nice knives. The stockman is nice, very handy knife in my opinion. When I was a lad near everybody carried a stockman for a utility knife.

Blog Entries

In my humble opinion, and it's just mine... It's a big bulky over priced piece of steel. Not really suited for camp work, not really good for survival unless it's all you have, horrible as a fighting knife. But if for some reason you like it, then get what you like. Although to me it's a movie prop replica for movie prop collectors.
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.