Thread: A sustainable living video well worth the 35 minutes to watch

Banned

Default A sustainable living video well worth the 35 minutes to watch

This short animated video does an excellent job of quantifying and explaining the relationships between peak oil, alternative energy, world population, and our outdated economic model of a debt based currency which requires unsustainable growth to prevent systemic collapse. It may help to explain to others who haven't quite figured it out, why some folks are starting to place more emphasis on self reliance and a sustainable lifestyle. There are 12 videos in the playlist and this is the first one in the series (I haven't watched the other 11 yet). For those with the time and inclination, here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOMWz...64D29C28357C74

Interesting video. A lot of the stuff I have been thinking about lately.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Banned

I hope you enjoyed it FM. The video seems to make some valid points. I also liked how they were able to explain how so many diverse subjects were all interconnected and keep it simple enough for most viewers to follow.

I just finished the other 11 videos in the playlist. A lot of good info on sustainable farming and permaculture for those with an interest.

Sustainable farming and permaculture are my big interests right now, so I was planning to watch the other videos.

Some day, when I can collect all my thoughts, I plan to do a video on monoculture and farm subsidies.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Thanks for that link, Cast-Iron! The first video was a tad bit of a ripoff of Chris Martenson's Crash Course and Annie Leonard's The Story of Stuff; BUT, it was VERY well done and should be thought provoking for many people. This, for many years, has been my primary concern regarding the need for "prepping" and "survival" skills -- an impending energy crisis, that will lead to an economic crisis, that will lead to a political and social crisis, that will lead to TEOTWAWKI. Our children will be living in a totally different world than that which we enjoy, today. That, to me, seems certain.

Banned

@ TJW - I appreciate your comments, TJ. I think we're already in the early stages of energy driven global economic collapse. The arrival of shale oil extraction technology has helped to flatten out the rate of decline short-term, but it only postpones the inevitable. Without some type of replacement for cheap oil, the age of cheap throwaway consumerism will be replaced with more emphasis on environmental responsibility, quality versus quantity, repurposing, repair versus replace, and greater self reliance.

Without a replacement for cheap oil, our standard of living will fall into balance with the ever dwindling energy supplies. This will likely be realized at a personal level as the gradually increased pressure on our finances. Causing an economic struggle to maintain the staus quo in our lives. Eventually we will be forced to make concessions as we find we can no longer afford many things we once took for granted. I think those who understand this now are at a tremendous advantage to downsize and aquire some of the skills and resources neccessary to survive, maybe even thrive, under this new paradigm.