Thread: Some People Are Honest

Blog Entries

Default Some People Are Honest

I woke up today to a phone call from a client screaming that he got in trouble again. I mean, REALLY screaming. I was in a bad mood even before I got out of bed. And I thought my alarm clock was obnoxious.....

Anyway, I just read an article that made my foul mood evaporate. I guess that some people were brought up the right way. Some people really are honest. I'd like to think that people who haven't come forward and squared up simply can't recall the name of the place they were at when the bombs exploded. Those who have brightened up my day.

Diners Pay Bills After Boston Marathon Bombings

http://bostonherald.com/business/bus...athon_bombings
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

We're having a kitchen remodeling job done and, as it turned out, a contractor theft too. Instead of loosing all my initial investment. I'm having the guy do other jobs to work off what I paid him. Last week I had ordered some plumbing supplies and expedited the shipping. I guess with the holiday the shipping did not turn out as planned. LOL, the thieving contractor thought I should call and complain.

Blog Entries

Don't you have some holes that need digging out in the back yard? With that shovel that has splinters all over the handle?

I ALWAYS write checks for supplies to the SUPPLIERS and memo that the check is for my order. I've also learned to be VERY specific when detailing the work to be done on our WRITTEN contract. In Mass, the law requires all contractors/home improvement people to be licensed and to have written contracts with customers. One of the few good laws on the books.....
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

Actually, I think the average person is honest. Unfortunately, I think that the bottom 96%ile (and I may be very conservative here) have some areas in their lives in which they are not honest. You just have to find the right button. If you believe research, then things like cognitive dissonance are human nature and cognitive dissonance leads people to lie to themselves. It's an axiom: People play games. Life games (see Eric Berne's The Games People Play) are essentially dishonest.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

I worked with a guy that went out on a payphone repair and found $300 in an envelope at the payphone. No ID, no nothing. He took it by the police department and gave it to them. A few hours later a women stopped in to see if anyone had turned it in. It was her social security check that she had just cashed and forgot it at the payphone. It was all her money for the month. I was always impressed that he did that.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I worked with a guy that went out on a payphone repair and found $300 in an envelope at the payphone. No ID, no nothing. He took it by the police department and gave it to them. A few hours later a women stopped in to see if anyone had turned it in. It was her social security check that she had just cashed and forgot it at the payphone. It was all her money for the month. I was always impressed that he did that.
    That was the right thing to do. Otherwise he would have sold his soul for a lousy $300.00.
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

Blog Entries

However, if I saw a few cash bags fall out of the back of a North Korean diplomatic limousine.....
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

$300 was a lot of money back then. Until we found out it was some ladies monthly allotment. Then it wasn't so much money. It never even entered my head that it might be someone's monthly income. Believe it or not that one thing has haunted me the rest of my life. Every time providence dumps something in my lap I think what if this is someone's monthly income. Man, if that won't keep you straight nothing will.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

'Cept the North Korean limo money. I think I could sleep easy with that.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    'Cept the North Korean limo money. I think I could sleep easy with that.
    Or Westboro Baptist Church money?
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

I found a wad of bills , maybe $800 bucks on the floor of a supermarket, near the courtesy counter....went over to turn it in, the guy at the counter just looked at me funny......so I had him call the store manager.....and had him sign a receipt for the money.

I just didn't like the look on the guys face that I talked to at the start....and there was only the two of us.....??????...Just an odd feeling...
    Turned out it was kinda the same deal, older guy had cashed his SS check and dropped the cash going out the door.

Store manager called me back in a few hours to let me know it had been returned to the right guy.

Ever had to argue with some one that they had given you too much change?.......pretty funny, they would rather take a loss than admit they had done wrong, or made a mistake.....Oh, Well.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Ever had to argue with some one that they had given you too much change?.......pretty funny, they would rather take a loss than admit they had done wrong, or made a mistake.....Oh, Well.
    I once had a grocery store clerk give me change as if I had paid with a $100 bill. I had not - it was a $50. She informed me in no uncertain terms that she never made mistakes and that I should quit causing trouble. I honestly think she thought I was trying to get money, not give it back. I stopped at customer service and asked for the manager. I handed him a $50 bill and said "when register 5 comes up $50 short, this is it".
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I've turned in lots of lost money. I guess I'd be rich by now if I'd kept it all (a little exaggeration, but it would have been a substantial amount) but it was not particularly laudable in my case since I'm not particularly materialistic and don't have a strong drive to acquire money. There are other things that draw me, though. "Honest" would be me giving up something that I value very highly because it doesn't belong to me.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

I found a wallet that had several hundred dollars and a bunch of credit cards in it. I looked the guy up in the phone book and called him telling him I had his wallet.

To say I was poor at the time would be an immense understatement and the friends that were there at the time said to take the cash and drop the wallet in the mail.

I worked closer to where the guy lived and so had him meet me there. He showed up with a bunch of friends. Treated me like a piece of crap and after counting the money he told me I was lucky that it was all there. I did the right thing no doubt about it. But, man it sucks being **** on for doing the right thing and watching a world of crappy people screw everyone they can.

Still at the end of the day I still would like to find them repulsive to me than me repulsive to me.

Your last sentence sums it up, Batch.

The money I do keep is the change I find on the ground. Believe it or not I pick up change all the time. Folks toss change on the ground because they can't bother carrying it(?). I don't know but I have two five gallon jugs of pennies and one of silver. My kids are going to cuss me one day because they'll have to count and roll it when I'm gone.

So Rick.....Does it matter to you if the coins are heads or tails?
    LOL I do the same thing.....bank girl always hands me back the wire nuts, dry wall screws, paper clips and pocket lint....after she puts my change jar thru the sorter.

Paided for my fuel on our south trip.
    Last edited by hunter63; 05-30-2013 at 12:07 PM. Reason: splin'
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I was in a sporting goods store with my daughter, she was about 9 at the time. She found a man's wallet, sort of covered by items on the self. It had cash, credit cards, etc. My daughter said, " Dad, look what I found. What should we do?" I told her, "The only right thing is to turn it in so the owner gets it back". I located a clerk and asked to see the manager of the store. I gave the wallet to the manager with the clerk as witness. Some YEARS later, the subject of honesty came up, and my daughter reminded me of that wallet. She told me that she was glad and proud that we didn't keep it. Sometimes the reward for honesty is absolutely PRICELESS!
    Last edited by Eric the Red; 05-31-2013 at 10:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter
    Does it matter to you if the coins are heads or tails

Nope. It just matters that it's money. I'm getting too old to be disappointed at finding washers. Pick up lost tools on the roadway, too. We just about got divorced last week because there were 4 or 5 lag bolts laying in the road and my wife wouldn't stop so I could pick them up. That's like a $5 bill laying in the road for cryin' out loud.