Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: A few knives off the bench

scribbled this one out on a piece of paper this weekend, here is how it turned out, I'm not sure about this one, I'm on the fence, what do you guys think?

9 1/8" total, with a 4 1/4" blade made from 1/8" cmps35vn, handle is black and grey g-10 with 13 1/16" pins and one 1/4" lanyard tube.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Without counsel purposes are disappointed: but in the multitude of counsellers they are established.

s.pottscustomknives@gmail.com
    www.facebook.com/s.pottscustomknives
    http://s1248.beta.photobucket.com/us...llss7/library/

I'm not a fan of jimping, but is probably functional on the ramp. I like the rest of it.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    I'm not a fan of jimping, but is probably functional on the ramp. I like the rest of it.
    I'm neutral on jimping myself, I can take it or leave it.
    Without counsel purposes are disappointed: but in the multitude of counsellers they are established.

I like it. Somehow the point is still close to centerline. Looks like it would excel at dressing large game. Nothing interferes with the base of the blade. Having the choil be wider than the blade will keep your work on the blade and/or the resistance will let you know you are off.

13 pins is a bit gratuitous, LOL, but it looks great. I'd hate to have to drill all those.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

I like it.It's a cool looking blade.I haven't seen a shape like that before.Did you come up with it? I think it's unique myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckman95 View Post
    I like it.It's a cool looking blade.I haven't seen a shape like that before.Did you come up with it? I think it's unique myself.
    Well I drew it up on a piece of paper this weekend, so you could say I designed it, with that said I doubt it's 100% unique as there are a lot of blade shapes out there. I did not copy an existing knife on this one that I know of.

I'm not a fan of jimping either. I would think where that is located it might be a little tough on the thumb, maybe not. Otherwise, I think it's a fine looking knife. The "offset" of the blade does give it a unique character. I think the plain sheath was a perfect match for it.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I'm not a fan of jimping either. I would think where that is located it might be a little tough on the thumb, maybe not. Otherwise, I think it's a fine looking knife. The "offset" of the blade does give it a unique character. I think the plain sheath was a perfect match for it.
    I'm starting to become a big fan of plain looking sheaths, that and trying to keep the price down. I can buy this sheath made in USA for about what I can make it for, then add a few hours of my time, I can cut about 50.00 off the price of a knife going with this type of sheath, which works just fine. I will offer both types options can be good. As far as the jimping on this knife, I cut the jimping in on 1/8" centers and at 90 degree angles so you are really hard pressed to even feel the jimping. I love to hunt and use a knife all the time, all of my game work will never utilize the jimping on this knife as I just do not hold it that way. Now the elongated ricasso with the curved choil and the sweeping cutting edge makes for a very comfortable skinning posisition and safe comfortable place to put your finger.

When you have a knife that is a real piece of artwork I think it's kind of a disservice to put it in a fancy sheath. It detracts from the beauty of the knife. I feel the same way about tattoos on a beautiful woman. You see the tattoos and not the woman, which might be her goal. What do I know?

If you have a knife that is a bit more plain then a fancy sheath can upscale it. Not quality wise but artistic value. You can show off the sheath then. That does not work the same way with women and tattoos however. LOL
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by randallss7 View Post
    I'm neutral on jimping myself, I can take it or leave it.

Either way that's a very nice blade.How much does one like that go for?

Quote Originally Posted by Buckman95 View Post
    Either way that's a very nice blade.How much does one like that go for?
    Going to try just shy of 200 and see what happens. I suck at pricing knives.

Finished one up this after noon, I really like this one. It's my first Kirinite handle I was worried how it would look on a hunting knife, I think it turned out good. It was different to work with but if you go slow and cool you will be ok, I finished 90% of the handle contouring and polishing by hand sanding then buffed to a shine with pink compound and loose cotton wheel. I started with 3/8" scales on this one and really rounded them.

8" total
    3 1/4" blade cut from 3/16" stock thickness cmps-35vnc stainless, this one has a full flat grind.
    handle is Lava Flow Kirinite with nickel silver pins and lanyard tube

Wild. Is that like corian?
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
    Wild. Is that like corian?
    They compare it to Corian in toughness, but to be honest with you I do not know, it was fairly easy to work with, and really finished out.

That's a nice looking blade.

I really like the Kirinite knife. I'm not a fan of red knives but that is a very attractive knife. I don't know if it's the randomness of the pattern or the subdued red color but it's a very nice knife.

The one you made your son is just drop dead gorgeous. Both of you should be very proud of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I really like the Kirinite knife. I'm not a fan of red knives but that is a very attractive knife. I don't know if it's the randomness of the pattern or the subdued red color but it's a very nice knife.

The one you made your son is just drop dead gorgeous. Both of you should be very proud of it.
    Oh not my son, it was purchased for a guys son...lol buy my Sons have several though.