Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: survival rifles.

Blog Entries

My favorite rifle is the SOCOM... just gotta raise th money, fired it and its sweet baby.
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

Don't get me wrong, I own a few firearms. If I go canoing or hiking it is my AR-7 I pack.
    If I'm in the woods it will feed me. I don't carry everyday, not that scared and pistols are to much like remote controls with the world's biggest OFF switch.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf65 View Post
    My favorite rifle is the SOCOM... just gotta raise th money, fired it and its sweet baby.
    Enjoy packing that tank, great firearm, awsome track record for function and reliability. And it would be my choice for a battle application. But for my daily 5 to 8 mile walkabouts, playing Kissee face with Mr. Fuzzy, I want something lighter, smaller, and easier to carry, and still using the 7.62 NATO (.308 Winchester).

Blog Entries

I see your point and agree, my flintlock (although its 61 inches long) always goes just bcause I love it so much.
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

Hey Hopeak, what about a Rem mod 7 synthetic in .308win, I have a Rem ADL syn in .308win a smidgen bigger but still easy to carry.
    To thyne self be true

beowulf have you shot are considered the springfield m1a scout squad version. when I was overseas i carried the scout and loved it, our unit had recieved about 3 of the socoms, tryed it for a bit but went back to the scout. Dont get me wrong the Socom is also a very fine weapon. They both weigh in at 9.3 lbs if im not mistaken, but im sure as you know Socom has shortly shorter barrel. I guess for me I just liked the feel of the Scout better. I know its personal preference, but check it out. http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php?version=38

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by carcajou garou View Post
    Hey Hopeak, what about a Rem mod 7 synthetic in .308win, I have a Rem ADL syn in .308win a smidgen bigger but still easy to carry.
    carcajou garou, Good question: I am going to answer it, But I am going to start a new thread. Because a Survival gun is enough different than a walk'about gun to warrent a new thread. But the answer is yes, good choice.

Blog Entries

Chopp, yes I have and I like mini14 also all fine shooters.
    Here's my Mini14

Hey beowulf did you get my post mixed up with some one elses i suggested the springfield M1A scout sqaud.....Are am I the confussed one?....lol

Blog Entries

No i said: yes I have (to the scout) and I also like the mini 14.
    At least that is what I meant.

Ahhh got it man. Yes I agree also on the mini-14, I have one I bought a few years back the mini-14 that is and i love it. About 6 months ago I put a houge stock on it. very nice rifle, and like you when I can save up the cash to buy my own i think im gonna go for the M1a scout. Also a quick question for you. I saw a good while back in some magazine I was reading that one of the AR type rifle makers came out with a new model in .308. I could have sworn it was bushmaster but i just looked on there site and didnt see it. Do you know who makes it? Im about to move back to Louisiana in 68 days, ETS from the Army. And im going to be getting back into Boar hunting. And in La there are no rules on what type of rifle you can use to hunt them, are a season for that matter. I was thinking a good .308 cal in the AR style of rifle till I can afford the M1A. Any input on that?

Blog Entries

Not sure who makes it I'll look, I did some boar hunting in Tennessee with my Remington 700 chambered in the Winchester .300 mag and took down a 250lb. boar with a single shot, Its a bolt action but well worth it.

Blog Entries

Banned
    Blog Entries

Chopp 29, I think what you are thinking about is the ROCK RIVER LAR-8. Which is a .308 on a AR platform. They just started shipping after 3 years of delays. And I had one on order for years, and got the first one shipped to Alaska last week. We weighed the gun, it is 8 pounds 2 oz.

They use a two stage match trigger. Mine breaks at 3.6 pounds with no creep. I put a 30MM Leupold 1X-4X European scope with German #4 reticle on with Leupold long leaver quick release (QRW)rings. You can look it up at www.rockriverarms.com

I picked up a Rock River AR-15 in in 6.8 SPC that I had custom built; and it came at the same time. I have two other AR-15 in 6.8 SPC that are Bushmasters. I have a AR-15 pistol in 6.8 SPC special ordered with a 10" barrel.

well i bought a rly expensive ring so i couldnt afford the baretta... >_< ... planning on buying a M-14S 'G.I.Rifle' .308 semi-automatic from marstar for $400 instead. atleast if i can convince my friends dad to buy it (i have an MPAL so i cant actually buy) and sign it over to me.

What's an MPAL?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

P= possession
    A= acquisition
    L= license

M= maybe a grandfather clause of pre-existing ownership of a certain type of firearm which is now controlled even further?
    To thyne self be true

Banned
    Blog Entries

O.K. I might be way out of line here (not rare event), And things may be different in other country's. However after many years in the firearms business, I am guessing that we are dancing around here is what the BATF&E calls a straw transfer. Good for 10 years of free room and board. However I admit it is done regularly, and not enforced.

Lost Lebowski

The thread says "survival Rifle" Are we talking a rifle for defence like in disaster scenarios? Or Wilderness survival? or back country (MY OPINION ONLY) If I personally could only have one firearm for BOTH self defence/home defence and wilderness defence and hunting a shotgun is the only firearm that serves all these purposes...every one! You can take game from small birds and rabbits to Elephant and everything between. And as an Army MP and former auxillary policeman I was always taught by tactical trainers and range NCO's that for entry and home defence a 12 ga (usually with 00buck) is better even than a sub machine gun or assualt rifle. Although this may only be my humble opinion. I'd bet my life if you google say best all around hunting and suvival rifle most PH and alaska guides for instence will advocate for a 12 gauge.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Wow a PH what about APHA?