Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: survival rifles.

Didn't know Henry took over Armalite Sarge. I was ordering from Cheaper Than Dirt.

Blog Entries

Default Go here for more data.

Quote Originally Posted by cw0203 View Post
    Didn't know Henry took over Armalite Sarge. I was ordering from Cheaper Than Dirt.
    Check out their web-site for more info,(www.henryrepeating.com) and don't be afraid to e-mail the Co. with any questions you might have. I e-mailed over a year ago and the very next morning I had a response from the department head himself!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

yeah, I e-mailed them a while ago wanting to get a catalog or something from them so I could get new mags. Within a week I had a catolog from them.In my snailmail.

notice I don't call them clips. That just bugs me to no end when otherwise knowledgeable people call them that. Too long in the military I guess.

A single shot .22lr bolt, or to buy a new one a Savage mod 24 in .22lr/20ga
    To thyne self be true

Blog Entries

Thumbs down Where at?

Quote Originally Posted by carcajou garou View Post
    A single shot .22lr bolt, or to buy a new one a Savage mod 24 in .22lr/20ga
    The problem is that Savage isn't making an "affordable" Model 24 now, just the expensive version, between $550 to $800!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Then I stay wit my tried and proven single shot
    To thyne self be true

I have a Savage stevens little falling block .22 single shot and if functions well and when I was googling survival rifles this model came up with a take down version . Mine can't be broken down the break down is fairly expencive as well.
    As far as assualt rifles I took basic with an M-14 and it is a fine battle rifle and the .308 is a great round and I concider any simi- auto in this caliber to be a wise choice after being checked for function and acuracy.
    Last edited by HOP; 08-05-2007 at 09:24 PM.
    KNOWLEDGE the ulitmate survival tool

I AM HURT BUT NOT SLAIN, I WILL LIE DOWN AND BLEED A WHILE THEN I WILL RISE UP AND FIGHT AGAIN.

I have one of the AR-7's and it is a decent rifle but it does jam on a regular basis. There is nothing else comparable on the market to replace it with. What I use now is a Ruger 10-22 with a folding stock, 3 30 rd,. magazines, and 200 rds. of ammo. I had the factory sights replaced with the new fiber optic sights and added swivels and a sling. It will place 5 shots in an inch at 25 yards. That's as good as I can do even from a rest. I keep this in a rifle case with pouches on the outside that also hold a Leatherman Wave tool, a 3 watt LED flashlight with an extra set of batteries, a compass, space blanket,
    plastic poncho, and a butane pipe lighter.

Default rifles jamming

I've had a few rifles jam during target practice when I'm putting a lot through them, never had one jam on a kill shot when it's the only shot I'm getting. Those chambers will tend to get a tad warm
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

ruger 10/22 and markIII stainless (parkerised to charcoal dull gray)5 clips for both , will feed and protect me a long time

Red face Greetings All

I just found this site and Begin reading this thread a bit ago. I am very interested in survival under any and all conditions.

As for the rifle issue it is really a matter of personal preference and ones pocket book.

For my BOB I have a Springfield M-6 Scout .22 LR / 410 stainless, I also keep a .22 convertible single six .22 LR/.22 MAG in it along with collapsible fishing gear, water purification equipment, woodsmans pal Jr machete, folding shovel, cooking gear, space blankets, para cord, med kit and survival rations, plus some other stuff I can't remember.

I also have an M-6 in .22 Hornet / 410 and a Henry US Survival rifle. I have an AK-47 and Ruger Mini-14 in a Bullpup stock if the going gets really rough.

To clear up the M-6 issue, CZ made them for Springfield for the last several years and they got into some kind of argument. That is why Springfield stopped suppling them and why I bought the Hornet while I could get one. There are still some to be had but they are a bit pricey.

I am looking forward to exchanging ideas with y'all.

Grizzly

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Good point TRAX!

Quote Originally Posted by trax View Post
    I've had a few rifles jam during target practice when I'm putting a lot through them, never had one jam on a kill shot when it's the only shot I'm getting. Those chambers will tend to get a tad warm
    Exactly right about the "Kill Shot". A survival rifle is just that, a way to, hopefully, procure game. The M6 scouter along with the Savage Over & Under, are great examples of the "Survival weapon." They are both "Single Shots." Just because the AR-7 has an 8 rd. mag. doesn't mean that you empty the whole clip as fast as you can at the 1st little bunny you spot. You're not Elmer Fudd! The idea is "one shot, one kill", even though you may pack more ammo in the mag. If you want to fire a bunch of rds. quickly, the Ruger 10/22 is a good bet for that. In a true survival situation you would take your time lining up your shot, getting as close as you dare without scaring your intended dinner off.
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

I have a ruger 10/22 that I carry.

I normaly carried a .22lr single shot rifle but in the last few years the encouters with feral dogs and the added encounters with bears has me wondering wether a lever in .44 mag such as the Henry would be a better choice?
    To thyne self be true

Blog Entries

Ahh, ya'll can carry those little pea shooters, sticking with the 308. Just feel a little more cozy with something that can take down large game. Something that makes a teeny tiny hole going in, and a BIG OL HOLE going out.

There is something to be said about "reaching out and touching" something.

lt is a good rifle...

...and killed the bear that killed me.

Anyway, l am dead.
    Last edited by FVR; 09-27-2007 at 10:46 PM.

Blog Entries

Thumbs down Not here!

Quote Originally Posted by FVR View Post
    Ahh, ya'll can carry those little pea shooters, sticking with the 308. Just feel a little more cozy with something that can take down large game. Something that makes a teeny tiny hole going in, and a BIG OL HOLE going out.

There is something to be said about "reaching out and touching" something.
    Maybe your Black powder guns could be used here in Illinois, but only BP, bow hunting, and shotguns are allowed to hunt big game in Abe Lincoln land!
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

Weapons of choice.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

You got him, pilgrim!
    You nailed him clean.

We got us an elk to skin!
    Last edited by FVR; 09-28-2007 at 11:17 PM.

Paraniod for a reason paranoidrasta's Avatar

I own a 30-06, 30-30, 10-22 w/ bull barrell for targeting, sks, and two .50 cal rifles. I would love to own the .50 cal sniper rifle that the army uses!

I also own 2 blackpowder rifles, and 2 D Eagles. I would like to own a glock 18, 23, and 17 special edition.
    Do not believe anything your government tells you.

Blog Entries

I like FVRs chioces, but I'll take my longbow, whatcha gonna do when the bullets run out! I can make arrows
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.