Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: survival rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole WV Coot View Post
    I don't think I could be comfy with a mag of those things in my carry gun with an IWB holster. Can you buy asbestos undies???
    Nah, but you can get fire retardant undies. I think the link was in the thread on sleeping bags.
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    Samuel Adams
    Dogs are not my whole life, but they make my life whole.

Blog Entries

If I has to select 1 - just 1 - survival rifle, it would be my AK-47 with the double wide magazine. Not as accurate as most American fielded weapons, but incredibly reliable under conditions which prohibit regular cleaning and maintenence. It packs a helluva punch and, with the 30 rd mag (you can get drum mags for 100 rds) you have some serious firepower. I've spoken with a few SF guys who agree with me on this. The AK has won a number of on-line surveys in this regard as well. Submerge it in water, drag it through mud, roll it in sand, and it will still fire. Can't say that about my shotguns (Beerrunner13 - I love my 870, too) or any of the others I own.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

i just recently got a Diana model 24 airgun and it freaking rocks, besides the fact that it takes so long to reload its so much better then a .22 . the ammo weighs nothing and costs less the a cent each and the rifle is so quiet you cant hear it through a wall. the accuracy at 20 feet is as good as any .22 iv ever shot. shoulda got a pellet rifle earlier.
    This member asked that their user name be changed. They acknowledged that most of what they have posted in the past was less than truthful. Hence the reason for the signature post.

Banned
    Blog Entries

marcraft, It pains me to agree with you about the, "Air gun freaking rocks", however they do have there application. And they are suppressed sound. And congratulations on your successful adventure.

That's great at 20 feet, what about at 20 to 50 yards? I'm just asking, I've never used an air rifle, don't think I'm about to start.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Actually, they can lay the hide open at 20-30 yards. Back when I was young and foolish (foolisher? shrug) my comrades and I held BB gun wars. 3 or 4 on a side. Dumb yes but I laid a kids neck open at about 30 yards with one. We were all lucky no one lost an eye.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

OK, Rick, not to be flogging a dead horse here, buuuut...were you aiming for his neck?
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Blog Entries

Would Rick do that?
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

I was about 9 or so. I doubt I was aiming at anything but his general direction.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

They made BB guns back then??
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Yeah. We dropped molten copper from a tall tower and let it cool into a solid round ball as it fell.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Yeah. We dropped molten copper from a tall tower and let it cool into a solid round ball as it fell.
    That's probably how he hit the kid.

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

Daisy actually made a BB gun when I was a kid, could have been a prototype. I learned poaching early with that gun. Me and this other fool would throw corn out and hide in an old barn and shoot quail at the great distance of at least 8ft. That day it became clear, why walk up and down a hill with a pointer and maybe get 2 or 3 birds per 2 miles of briars when I could do much better thru a crack in an old barn.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

Blog Entries

Were they quail or just some poor farmers hens?
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

Talking Quail for sure

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Were they quail or just some poor farmers hens?
    Nope, quail and tasty also. Head shot at about 8ft. We did real well until Daddy found out how we were getting them. He happened to raise pointers at that time. We had all sorts of ways to get game, none of them legal of course.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

Banned
    Blog Entries

If it came to strictly survival, and all I had was a good quality pellet Gun, I could get fat just off the spruce hens (a kind of very stupid grouse), squirrels, hares, ravens (I love my ravens, but if we are talking survival), and king salmon (head shoot them in the shallows), that live in the back yard.

But I would rather just use the .22 with CB caps. They are quiet, and deadly. But it could be done with a good pellet Gun.

i got 1 inch shot groupings at 30 yards with target pellets (domed , more accurate then pointed hunting) thinking bout geting the power up'd from 700fps to 1100fps or so, of course then id have to register it , and i couldn't shoot it at night, and i couldnt shoot it in the city, and id have to buy a gunsafe (i dont trust trigger locks or gun cases even though i have 2 of each lol) nvm lol its fine at 700. it came with awesome sights (it better come with bloody awesome sights it cost me $230 + tax) so i tried to shoot it at 100 yards , no good that far but it shot prety fair at 50. wouldnt trust it to have enough force for a coyote or turkey at that range. heres a link to where i bought it from i got the .177 cal version

http://www.wholesalesports.com/onlin...ory=1401019001
    This member asked that their user name be changed. They acknowledged that most of what they have posted in the past was less than truthful. Hence the reason for the signature post.

Default Has anyone scene these.

They make a air shotgun that is available as well. Would be cool.

http://www.pyramydair.com/p/gamo-sha...ir-rifle.shtml

They have lots of other air guns as well. Most are not aware that Lewis and Clark used a air gun for their adventure across America. No powder to carry.

http://www4.vmi.edu/museum/air_rifle.html

Wish you could get a modern version of this.Napoleon killed the air rifle.

I also like the .22 magnum as a round. Still light and small to carry (yes I know more expensive) but hits pretty hard out of a rifle. I have a Rossi Take down that is cool just wish it was in magnum not LR. I have a Timberwolf take down .357 that is cool as well and can shoot the cheaper .38 special as well. They have not been made for some time. I have alot of guns but just wanted to put in a little as well.

Before Winchester had it's problem they were going to make a take down lever gun but never did. That would have been cool.

Thanks