Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Different bug out bag ideas

This whole thing about "bugging out" with a b.o.b., has me both mildly confused and amused. Where is one bugging out from, bugging out to, and why? Now don't get me wrong, preparing for any emergency/disaster situation is very important. Having a good supply of basic survival necessities, (including stockpiled food and water) stored in backpacks, duffel bags, tote boxes, etc., in your home(more than one in the house, i.e., garage, den, hall closet, etc.), in the car/truck, and at your job/work place, is just basic good sense. As for "bugging out", (I prefer, "evacuating the red zone"), there's only three major natural disasters only certain areas of the U.S. are faced with that could require evacuation; Hurricane, Tornado, Earthquake. First, Hurricanes; are deadly, destructive, cause massive flooding. But, they move forward very slowly, and with satellite imaging, their path can be plotted very accurately. Advance warning can be as much as 2-3 days. Plenty of time to load up the car/truck with family and enough gear to get out. Go 100-125 miles from the eye of a big hurricane and it's just raining. No need to walk out with a heavy pack. Second, Tornadoes; are deadly, destructive, unpredictable direction. Not as much warning time as hurricanes, but there is tornado "season", and tornado "generating" weather. Still, advance warning can be several hours. Again, use the car/truck. Drive to safety; don't walk. Third, Earthquakes; are deadly, (actually, earthquakes don't kill people, large falling objects, like buildings and bridges, kill people), destructive,(remember buildings and bridges?), but, ABSOLUTELY, no advance warning. The upside is, the area of catastrophic damage is relatively small, with damage lessening going out from the epicenter. So, if your house didn't fall down, or wasn't damaged beyond safely remaining, stay put. If you are without electricity and /or water, you have your survival supplies right there. Of course, someone might say blizzards in the northern U.S. should be considered. Well, if you want to hike through 5 feet of snow, in a 50 mph wind, at -20 degrees, with a b.o.b. ... go for it. I suppose there might be an EXTREME scenario, where you would have to walk away from your house or vehicle, either by yourself or with wife and kids in tow, with nothing but what you can carry, but that would have to be the absolutely, positively last option. I have the impression, that most people identify "bugging out", with escaping a horde of crazy looters storming down their street carrying pitch forks and torches. That's what amuses me. As Ragnar Benson said in several of his books, "Never, ever, become a refugee. Stand tall, with your face to the wind." Enough said.
    Last edited by Eric the Red; 05-30-2013 at 02:30 AM.

While you might be slightly amused - and maybe the three potential threats is all you really face - not everybody has concluded the same threat assessment as you.

Here's what I mean.....

Everybody needs to do their own threat assessment - both natural and man made. What is of concern to me may not be of concern to you, and vise versa. Our life experiences help to form our opinions and influence the decisions we make. I am not one to subscribe to the "total collapse of civilization so we are moving to the woods" crowd. If that is a threat for some - then they should prepare for it. It does not affect me in the least. A close friend who is now a US citizen probably has different concerns regarding government overreach than I do. While I am concerned ----- he as a young child was taken from his home (Cambodia) with the rest of his family and forced to kneel in front of the military troops in his yard. He witnessed both of his parents being executed.

For me - weather related threats are a real consideration. Hurricanes are more of a threat than tornadoes although both are possible. Earthquakes are not on my "prep for list" but that doesn't mean they are not possible. Aside from the three that you mentioned there could be a host of other concerns - depending on your location and proximity to "stuff".

Things like power plants, chemical manufacturing, refineries, rail lines, the meth lab across the street, wild fires, terrorism, and the list goes on and on. We all must figure out what our largest threat is and prepare accordingly. Of course, many of the preparations we do for X will also cover Y.

As to bugging out ---- for me it is of short duration (hours, days, possibly weeks). Anything longer than that and I consider it relocating.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Crash is spot on in both the assessment and the types of problems you might face. Here's a post I made a few years ago with some possible threats you might not have considered.

I plan for a natural or man made disaster. I'll give you a list and the definitions because it's part of my overall family disaster plan:

Biological Threat: A biological attack is the deliberate release of germs or other biological substances that can make you sick. Many agents must be inhaled, enter through a cut in the skin or be eaten to make you sick. Some biological agents, such as anthrax, do not cause contagious diseases. Others, like the smallpox virus, can result in diseases you can catch from other people.

Chemical Threat: A chemical attack is the deliberate release of a toxic gas, liquid or solid that can poison people and the environment.

Dam Failure: A dam failure or levee breach is a catastrophic event characterized by the sudden, rapid, and uncontrolled release of impounded water.

Earthquakes: An earthquake is the sudden, rapid shaking of the Earth, caused by the breaking and shifting of subterranean rock.

Explosion: A release of mechanical, chemical or nuclear energy in a sudden and often violent manner with the generation of high temperature and usually with the release of gases.

Extreme Heat: An extended period of high temperatures often accompanied by high humidity.

Fire: A state, process or instance of combustion in which fuel or other material is ignited and combined with oxygen, giving off light, heat, and flame.

Flood: Refers to the overflowing of normally dry areas, often after heavy rains. Flood is usually applied to the overflow of a great body of water, as, for example, a river, although it may refer to any water that overflows an area.

Hazardous Material: Any substance or mixture of substances having properties capable of producing adverse effects on the health and safety or the environment of a human being.

Hurricane: A severe tropical storm that forms in the southern Atlantic Ocean, Caribbean Sea, Gulf of Mexico, and in the eastern Pacific Ocean.

Influenza Pandemic: A pandemic is a global disease outbreak. An influenza pandemic occurs when a new influenza A virus emerges for which there is little or no known immunity in the human population and the virus begins to cause serious illness and then spreads easily person-to-person worldwide.

Landslide/Debris Flow: Landslides, also known as mudslides and debris flows, are the downward falling or sliding of a mass of soil, detritus or rock on or from a steep slope. They can be caused by a variety of factors including earthquakes, storms, and fires.

Nuclear Threat: An explosion with intense light and heat, a damaging pressure wave and widespread radioactive material that can contaminate the air, water and ground surfaces for miles around. An event typically recognized with an attack by a foreign power.

Nuclear Power Plant Emergency: An accident comprised by the release of radioactive material from the plant into the environment, usually characterized by a plume (cloud-like formation) of radioactive gases and particles. The major hazards to people in the vicinity of the plume are radiation exposure to the body from the cloud and particles deposited on the ground, inhalation of radioactive materials, and ingestion of radioactive materials.

There are two “emergency planning zones” in the event of an accident. One zone covers an area within a 10-mile radius of the plant, where it is possible that people could be harmed by direct radiation exposure. The second zone covers a broader area, usually up to a 50-mile radius from the plant, where radioactive materials could contaminate water supplies, food crops, and livestock.

Radiation Threat: A radiation threat, commonly referred to as a "dirty bomb" or radiological dispersion device (RDD)", is the use of common explosives to spread radioactive materials over a targeted area. It is not a nuclear blast. The force of the explosion and radioactive contamination will be more localized.

Terrorism: The unlawful use or threatened use of force or violence by a person or an organized group against people or property with the intention of intimidating or coercing societies or governments, often for ideological or political reasons.

Thunderstorm: A transient storm of lightning and thunder, usually with rain and gusty winds, sometimes with hail or snow, produced by cumulonimbus clouds.

Tornado: A localized, violently destructive windstorm occurring over land, esp. in the Mid-West, and characterized by a long, funnel-shaped cloud extending toward the ground and made visible by condensation and debris.

Tsunami: Tsunamis, also known as seismic sea waves, are enormous waves caused by an underground disturbance such as an earthquake or volcanic eruption. They can move hundreds of miles per hour and hit land with waves topping 100 feet in height.

Volcano: A vent in the earth's crust through which lava, steam, ashes, etc., are expelled, either continuously or at irregular intervals.

Wildfire: Any large fire that spreads rapidly and is hard to extinguish.

Winter Storm or Extreme Cold: a severe winter condition characterized by low temperatures, strong winds, and heavy blowing snow.

Each of these threats is identified, evaluated and ranked as part of my family's written response plan.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

You really need to create a plan for the likely disaster situations you are to face. It is human instinct to flee from disaster, but if you don't have a plan you are just gonna end up fleeing one disaster and ending up in another...

Quote Originally Posted by bacpacker View Post
    It really all depends on what the bag is for. In my set up, I have a large butt pack with shoulder straps. I can carry enough for about 3 very sparce days. It's intended use is for get me home from work. It's about 35 miles and I expect to take 2 days+ to make the trip.

For a longer trip, bigger packs would be called for.
    I have a 5.11 covrt 18 bag as a get home bag. I have done some endurance hikes before while I was in Europe, and one day we did 45 km, including 1km up, and 1km down the mountain over 13h. I think with flat terrain 35 miles is doable in one long day. I had my covrt 18 loaded with water, gummy bears for the fast-digesting sugars, a few fruits, dense bread and fatty sausage. When you really push it it is surprising what the human body can take.

The modular idea is a good one.
    In a total break down, a get out now bag/pack is an essential for everyone. Although I'd hate leaving my long term supplies if the house became indefensible, I guess it's better to survive with a few days' supplies than to die amongst plenty. Where and how far to go, when to come back, etc., becomes the next set of problems.

Communication with the outside world, knowing what the heck is going on in the big picture, that's the ugly variable I can't really figure out.
    Saepe veritas est dura.
    (Often the truth is harsh.)

edited.....
    Last edited by sjj; 05-08-2017 at 02:43 AM.

+1. Had to give you some rep. Excellent post.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I'll add a plus+2 on that......Very wise and just practical.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

As a wise old hunter once told me, the more you know, the less you have to carry! A long distance BOB for covering a lot of ground should never weigh more than 30 pounds for a normal person. You just keep moving, drink enough to hold off dehydration, and eat only enough to keep your energy at a decent level.