Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Official Thirst-Quenching Drink Thread

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by canid View Post
    Here, a cabinet, when you put food-stuffs in it, becomes a pantry.
    I've been told by more than one old pharmacist that the reason they're called "cabinets" is because the ice cream was kept in a freezer they called an "ice cream dipping cabinet" back in the old days.

They looked like this:

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

“Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Yeah, my kitchen could use one of those too.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Blog Entries
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

Blog Entries
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

I have a very small kitchen. Here's a great ice cream substitute. Drink enough out of a liter bottle of soft drink to pour in a can of sweetened condensed milk (Eagle Brand or a reasonable substitute). Shake it up and let it settle down. Pour into small Dixie Cups and add a pop-sickle stick. Freeze. It freezes soft like ice cream and tastes great.

I love milk shakes but they aren't that good for quenching thirst. The exception is what's variously called freezes or blended floats. It's a milkshake with soft drink instead of milk. I'm addicted to root beer freezes.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

Blog Entries

Almost forgot!

Pimms No.1

Recipe for Traditional Pimm's No 1
    Take a jug or glass and fill it with ice, mix one part Pimm's No.1 with 3 parts chilled lemonade, add some mint, cucumber, orange and strawberry.

For a non alcoholic beverage. A St Clements. One part Orange juice, one part Bitter Lemon. Serve over Ice. A slice of Lemon and Orange is optional, but looks pretty.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Quote Originally Posted by canid View Post
    I found locally a pretty cheap source for unparched inca purple corn by the pound (food for less, if I recall). I would malt it by soaking until it started to sprout, then dry it back out and roast in a baking sheet.

I would grind this up and mix 1lb of it to 3 quarts of clean water, pitch in some activated yeast and let it ferment for a couple days, pour gently and drink. pretty commonly gets from 2 to 4% abv and tastes great.
    You don't chew it up and spit it out, as the natives do?

I came up with a sort of mojito / salty dog mashup. It's mint muddled with a little sugar, Bombay Sapphire gin, grapefruit juice, and club soda.

I call it a Minty Dog.

Otherwise, Moscow Mules are my summer drink of choice: vodka, ginger beer (the spicier, the better!), and lime.
    Last edited by grrlscout; 05-29-2013 at 11:18 AM.

MMmmmmmoscow Mule!!!
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

Quote Originally Posted by grrlscout View Post
    You don't chew it up and spit it out, as the natives do?
    No, I'm a little more modern that that. No chicha de escupa for me.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Juice drinks can be a healthy way to quench your thirst and get your daily vitamins. They can provide you with as many vitamins as eating fruit, and some can even give you fiber if the fruit flesh is included. Some juices, however, are loaded with sugar and corn syrup which increases their calorie content. Sugar and corn syrup will also dehydrate you and cause you to become even thirstier. If you want a healthy juice drink that will also quench you thirst, it is important that you check the ingredients when buying it to make sure it's 100 percent pure juice without added sugar, flavor or corn syrup. The healthiest juice is fresh squeezed juice.

1. Fruit Smoothie Juice Drink

You can buy a healthy fruit juice smoothie or make it yourself. If you're making your own, blend non-fat yogurt (frozen or regular) in a blender with your favorite juice and frozen fruit. Some commonly used fruit juices are orange juice and pineapple juice. Remember to check labels to avoid juices (and frozen fruit) containing sugar or corn syrup. Add ice to your fruit smoothie juice drink for an extra thirst quenching effect.

2. Micro Nutrient Fruit Juice Drink

You have probably seen green fruit juice smoothies if you've ever been to a health food store or juice bar. These green fruit juice drinks contain important micro nutrients like spirulina, a type of blue green algea. Spirulina is believed to have immune boosting antioxidants like vitamin A and vitamin C. Spirulina also increases energy with the B vitamins it contains. These healthy drinks might look strange, but they taste sweet like a fruit juice drink. Micro nutrient drinks usually have a fruit base of pureed banana or peach.

3. Hibiscus Cooler

Hibiscus fruit juice drinks infuse herbal hibiscus tea with fruit juice. The most commonly used fruit juice to blend with hibiscus tea is apple juice. Hibiscus tea contains vitamin C and it is thought to lower blood pressure.This healthy thirst quenching drink can be served over ice or blended. You can find Hibiscus Coolers at your local farmer's market or at coffee shops. You can also make them at home by brewing hibiscus tea with one part boiling water, then mixing it with apple juice and one part ice cold water.

4. Orange Iced Chai

Chai tea is a spicy tea with vanilla and cinnamon notes. Chai tea is usually made from black tea, and it contains antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties. Chai tea also contains ginger which aids digestion. When you combine chai with fresh squeezed orange juice and milk, you get even more health benefiting antioxidants, like vitamin C. This healthy fruit juice drink works best with chai tea mix, rather than tea bags. Use non-fat milk or soy milk instead of cream. Pour over ice to serve.

Plagiarizing another site is really frowned upon. Stealing content from Fitday and posting it here as your own is just bad etiquette and a really bad way to start out.

Or using Data Camp, a known spam source to host your posts. Wanna take odds on an edit and link to follow?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

10, 9, 8, 7, ...........

yes absolutely right

Quote Originally Posted by peterriosm View Post
    yes absolutely right
    Right about what....Plagiarizing........Spamming........About to be banned?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel