Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Muddy water filtering

But it won't make you sick or give you some condition?

Quote Originally Posted by Carlo QC View Post
    But it won't make you sick or give you some condition?
    Don't know....I don't drink stuff like that......so yeah maybe?
    Might just keep you alive till you can get rescued and have proper medical attention.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

BUt if you're gonna do this thing where you have to survive for 3days in the wild with just a knife would it be safe to only drink that for 3 days?

Blog Entries

Carlo, we don't do the "survive with just a knife" thing around here. Most of us don't, anyway.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

As long as the water has been treated to be potable the suspended material should not be a problem. It's generally clays and organic matter. As long as you are reasonably certain that the standing water is not tainted chemically by farm chemicals or industrial pollution then you can treat the water to make it potable and drink it. You know with certainty that you will die without water in roughly 3 days. If this is a true survival situation then treat and drink. Spit out the chunks.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

One way to tell is to try it.....leave word to where you will be and if you are not back, in three days......come and get you.
    Make it easy of the SAR.

Sounds like you have something to prove....
    You do know of course these techniques are to help you if you find your self in a bad situation....not looking for trouble, Right?

It's good to learn and practice......but you need to have the skills, or can learn them.
    How old are you?....your line of questions tell me you should talk to your parents first.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I'm not sure what's available in your environment (there are no rocks in these Georgia swamps!!!!) but you can make a pretty good filter with a soda bottle if add a few more things. Try putting the T-shirt in the bottom, covered by sand if available. Put stones on top of the sand or large chunks of wood if you can't find stones. Its a good idea to put charcoal on the top to catch some of the toxins, poisons, etc... You can get the charcoal right out of your camp fire. I have developed the habbit of grabbing some charcoal from any fire I make in the field just in case. I would still boil the water after running it through the filter if you can but if you can't, you should be fine drinking it right from the filter.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jerrynj View Post
    I would still boil the water after running it through the filter if you can but if you can't, you should be fine drinking it right from the filter.
    Following that advice can make someone quite sick - or worse.
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    As long as the water has been treated to be potable the suspended material should not be a problem. It's generally clays and organic matter. As long as you are reasonably certain that the standing water is not tainted chemically by farm chemicals or industrial pollution then you can treat the water to make it potable and drink it. You know with certainty that you will die without water in roughly 3 days. If this is a true survival situation then treat and drink. Spit out the chunks.
    thanks, sounds good

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Following that advice can make someone quite sick - or worse.
    Sorry. I should have mentioned the risks. Ken is right, you can get sick if you drink it without boiling. With that being said, I have done it and was fine but you are rolling the dice and that shouldn't be recommended and only done as a last resort.. Thanks for having my back Ken...

Blog Entries

That's what we're here for. Here's a good read on water.

Dirty Water
    http://impossible2possible.com/modul...ty%20Water.pdf
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

Cheap coffee filters will get some of the sediment out and they are cheap and lightweight!

Sphagnum peat moss.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    If this is a true survival situation then treat and drink. Spit out the chunks.
    Yep, treat it like drinking moonshine. Just strain it through your teeth and you'll be fine.

S.M.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

I realize this whole filter system is not easy to carry even though it is light but I once became quite ill after drinking water in the bush so if I was actually planning ahead to be in the bush for any length of time I'd go with this one as it is inexpensive and can be hidden well ahead of time. Pre-delivered cashes of food, water filtration, and other necessities such as tools seem to me to be the way to go should anything go wrong and one have to head out quickly. You might be camping but you won't be hurling..lol
    This filters $29.97 at cheaperthandirt.com
    Here's a video of the product.
    He who has ears to hear and eyes to see...learns something daily...

Quote Originally Posted by Carlo QC View Post
    In my woods there is no stream, etc. only very, very muddy pools, so if I wanted to get water I would have to get it from these pools. I know I would have to boil it to get rid of the bacteria, etc. But I heard that to get rid of the mud you have to filter it through charcoal, etc, and could you please tell me how to make this filter, and how to make the charcoal for it? Thanks.
    When you say POOL's are you referring to swimming pools? If not what caused these pools of water? if its rain wouldnt collecting the rain be a good idea.
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

I've seen this brown water up in Pennsylvania back on the AT. A sign said it was that color because of a mineral in it (not sure, but I think it was Iron). It was not due to mud. Mud should settle out.

I've always used chlorine for purification after pouring the tainted water through a cotton bandana.

http://thefemalesurvivalist.blogspot.com

In the end you find no one wins, and the race was only with yourself.

to get charcole for the fillter you should just get some out of the fire

the bandana workes 100 percent i have used it several times

You are not going to do much with charcoal from a fire. There is a huge difference between that kind of charcoal and activated charcoal, which is found in many water filters.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.