Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Muddy water filtering

Default Muddy water filtering

In my woods there is no stream, etc. only very, very muddy pools, so if I wanted to get water I would have to get it from these pools. I know I would have to boil it to get rid of the bacteria, etc. But I heard that to get rid of the mud you have to filter it through charcoal, etc, and could you please tell me how to make this filter, and how to make the charcoal for it? Thanks.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

If you have a means of boiling the water do not worry about charcoal.

Filter the water through a tee shirt or anything you can find. You can cut the bottom out of a 2 liter bottle, stuff the tee shirt in the bottle and pour the muddy water into the bottle letting it run out the mouth.

Then boil it.

If the water is real muddy use some kind of fabric that you can rinse out and get the mud out of it. Muddy water will clog a filter real quick.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Your other option is to collect the water and let the silt settle out of the water. Once the silt has settled carefully pour the water into another contain trying not to disturb the silt. Then strain if necessary and treat to make potable.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    If the water is real muddy use some kind of fabric that you can rinse out and get the mud out of it. Muddy water will clog a filter real quick.
    Umm, if he had water to rinse the fabric out with, why would he be filtering really muddy water to begin with?
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Not trying to hijack the thread C'man, but a secondary question. Will charcoal filtering or Chlor Floc remove dissolved indusrial products that contain nasties like lead, copper,mercury or arsenic?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Delta 5168 View Post
    Not trying to hijack the thread C'man, but a secondary question. Will charcoal filtering or Chlor Floc remove dissolved indusrial products that contain nasties like lead, copper,mercury or arsenic?
    Here's what ACTIVATED charcoal will remove:

"AC filtration is effective for some contaminants and not effective for others. AC filtration does not remove microbes, sodium, nitrates, fluoride, and hardness. Lead and other heavy metals are removed only by a very specific type of AC filter."

Water Filters with Activated Carbon Cartridges - what they will remove

http://www.thewatersite.com/activate...er_filters.htm
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Quote Originally Posted by Carlo QC View Post
    In my woods there is no stream, etc. only very, very muddy pools, so if I wanted to get water I would have to get it from these pools. I know I would have to boil it to get rid of the bacteria, etc. But I heard that to get rid of the mud you have to filter it through charcoal, etc, and could you please tell me how to make this filter, and how to make the charcoal for it? Thanks.
    Carlo, if you will check around in some of the survival manuals out there on the market, you'll find a diagram for a tripod with 3 levels of filtering; grass, charcoal and sand. Usually made with large handkerchiefs or pieces of fabric. As you noted, you'll still have to boil.

Thanks Ken. I appreciate the reply. D

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Your other option is to collect the water and let the silt settle out of the water. Once the silt has settled carefully pour the water into another contain trying not to disturb the silt. Then strain if necessary and treat to make potable.
    I've tried that, but the silt doesn't settle, not even days afterwards, the water is just a very brown color.

Unhappy

If you have a means of boiling the water do not worry about charcoal.

Filter the water through a tee shirt or anything you can find. You can cut the bottom out of a 2 liter bottle, stuff the tee shirt in the bottle and pour the muddy water into the bottle letting it run out the mouth.

Then boil it.

Thanks but I've tried filtering it with a tshirt, but this water is like REALLY brown, and that doesn't work

Did you try digging a hole a foot or so away from the pot hole, and let the water seep in?
    Might be a tad cleaner....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Try taking alum from your kitchen and mixing a little in with the water, shake well and then stir it for several minutes. What should happen is the alum will stick with the silt and floc to make particles that will settle and can be filtered. Getting the right amount of alum is tricky at best.
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

Thanks but I mean in a survival situation where all you have is a knife and the clothes on your back? And obviously stuff you can make in the wild.

That's always been my goal....if you gotta bring it ....it's camping....I hear ya.

You can cut the bottom out of a 2 liter bottle, stuff the tee shirt in the bottle and pour the muddy water into the bottle letting it run out .
    I tried that, but the mud is basically dissolved in, so that doesn't work either

So you tried filtering it thru the cloth?

The other thing to recognize is that unless you're using a purpose-made ceramic filter or something similar, these homemade filters are simply never going to produce water as crystal clear and mudless as what comes out of your tap. Part of what comes with filtering this way is accepting that water which is boiled but muddy will not kill you, but it will taste a little silty. Just a fact of some water sources. If you're just looking for a filter you can take camping with you, don't try doing it with homemade methods unless you like a little bit of dirt with your drink, invest in a ceramic filter. For survival purposes too, this will solve a lot of your needs, as such filters can serve a person for months before needing to be replaced, and most survival situations are over within a few months. If TEOTWAWKI happens... learn to enjoy silt, I guess, or find a spring way up the mountains. Nothing any one person does will meet modern tapwater standards, without the proper equipment.
    I am to misbehave - Captain Mal

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, you aren't entitled to your own set of facts. - Anonymous

http://www.instructables.com/id/Lost...ly-over-the-f/ but I mean is it ok to drink water that has been boiled like what's in this picture (this is what mine looks like).

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    So you tried filtering it thru the cloth?
    Yep, but it didn't work sadly... Thank you though

I don't think you will die....but might not taste real good.