Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Muddy water filtering

Get a pot, boil the water. Wait over night for it to cool. The next morning you will see a scum floating on the top and sediment in the bottom. Drink the water that is in the middle, it will be clear.

I've researched this a bit and have come up with a solution that all of us can use. It apparently works great on silty water so you Alaska folks can really benefit because I know your glacial fed rivers are muddy gray from the silt. The answer is alum. Who knew?

Here is a Youtube showing how it works.

and here is some technical information for you.

http://www.gcrg.org/bqr/7-4/water.htm

1/8 teaspoon per gallon of water. Stir and let sit for 30 minutes.

Chlor-Floc is the military version for clearing silty water and sterilizing it but doesn't get all the buggies apparently.

http://oai.dtic.mil/oai/oai?verb=get...fier=ADA262226
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Pretty cool idea. I'll bet if you get your bottle mixed up and accidentally drink your alum solution.......that'll make you pucker.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Cool vid.....

So, where does one get alum in the wild?.....or is it another bring along item?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Gum wrappers, candy wrappers, foil from campers.......then you have to process it to get the inum out of it.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

or the inium out of it if you're in Australia or Britain.

You can find Alum in the spice isle at the store.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

So do you still need the water tablets or filter, or boiling....this is just to clear our the silt and such right?

That just takes the silt out. You will still need to filter, boil or treat. Saves filters and keeps the grit out of your teeth if you boil or use tablets.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Gotcha....thanks for the clarification.

Or the rocks from pelting you when you take a shower in that river thingy you put together.

Quote Originally Posted by RangerXanatos View Post
    Try taking alum from your kitchen and mixing a little in with the water, shake well and then stir it for several minutes. What should happen is the alum will stick with the silt and floc to make particles that will settle and can be filtered. Getting the right amount of alum is tricky at best.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I've researched this a bit and have come up with a solution that all of us can use. It apparently works great on silty water so you Alaska folks can really benefit because I know your glacial fed rivers are muddy gray from the silt. The answer is alum. Who knew?

Here is a Youtube showing how it works.

and here is some technical information for you.

http://www.gcrg.org/bqr/7-4/water.htm

1/8 teaspoon per gallon of water. Stir and let sit for 30 minutes.

Chlor-Floc is the military version for clearing silty water and sterilizing it but doesn't get all the buggies apparently.

http://oai.dtic.mil/oai/oai?verb=get...fier=ADA262226
    Post 12. Didn't watch the video or read the link, but the amount of alum would be different for each time you get water. Don't know if it's significant enough for any real difference, but the amount and type of silt could play a role in getting the right amount of alum. That's why your public water treatment plants have to do so many jar tests in a day to get the right amount of alum. There could be not enough floc and you have silty water, or the floc could fall apart.
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

Totally missed your post. Mea Culpa.

Okay in the original post Carlos asked how to get his water cleaner, after saying he understood that he would still need to boil it to make it "safe" to drink. Just my two cents worth here.
    1. Use whatever type of fabric or grass/moss/fiber you have to filter the big chucks out,
    2. If you have a way to do it make a simple sand filter(plastic bottle full of creek sand, the finer the better)
    3. Let it set for a while, and dip the clearest water off the top of your pot, bucket or pan.
    4.Then if it is still not crystal clear use a very old trick to make it more palatable. Use it to make coffee with. Coffee is supposed to be brown and nasty tasting anyway. You end up with boiled water that is brown and safe to drink.

I'll bet you think bacon is supposed to be brown and nasty tasting too don't you. Sacrilegious, that's what it is. Nasty tasting coffee indeed.

You should be able to make a pretty good water filter using layers of sand and charcoal. It will remove a lot of the bigger particulates and you can then boil the water to make it safe to drink.

Other option is to make a solar still. I've never made one but there are quite a few tutorials out there. You'll need a couple of bottles, tubing, and sunlight! The basic premise is to heat up the dirty water in one bottle, and evaporated water (which should be clean) will condense in the second bottle. I think I will make it a project this weekend, been wanting to make one for a while now.

No, Bacon is supposed to kind of floppy and served hot although I would never turn down bacon in any form or state if I have a choice. Coffee on the other I have no real use for. Except to hide nasty water that I am trying to convince myself that it is okay to drink...I do carry some coffee in my kit but I am not a coffee drinker.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJohnson View Post
    Coffee on the other I have no real use for.
    Sacrilege I tell ya! Sacrilege! I'm keeping an eye on you.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Something I had heard was take a tshirt and carefully soak up the water. It will get a little muddy but maybe not quite as much as scooping. Try to ring out the shirt into a container or pot and repeat the sponge style process. Then boil.

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by zezlan View Post
    Something I had heard was take a tshirt and carefully soak up the water. It will get a little muddy but maybe not quite as much as scooping. Try to ring out the shirt into a container or pot and repeat the sponge style process. Then boil.

Thoughts?
    That is a good method if you have no bail handy. bandannas are good for collecting water as well.
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"