Thread: anything on a deer edible raw, right after kill?

Question anything on a deer edible raw, right after kill?

i do a lot of my preparing right here in my own noggin, mostly by imagining myself in a predicament and then imagining how i'd get out of it, what i'd use, how i'd get it, etc.. but i've recently stumped myself. I dont want to just google this one for a very specific reason: i'd like to get an answer to my question, and then ask MORE questions to the person who answers it so here it is:

I'm starving. it's winter in the northeast and foraging isn't cutting it. I've tried for a day or two to hunt... anything that might constitute even just a snack.. but when i finally find some prey, it's a deer. Deer's dead. i'm still desperately hungry. Is there anything on/in this deer which can be ingested right away. something to give me the energy to actually prepare the REST of the deer?

Thank you to anyone who reads this, and double thanks to anyone who replies with helpful info.
    i wont be the guy they caught off his guard

Hunter63 saying Hey and Welcome.
    There is an introduction section...http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...-Introductions

But in answer to your question......Depends.
    How did it die?....Road kill, sickness?

Did you kill it?, if you just did, any kind of meat is eatable........ if not, how long has it been dead?
    If you give it the "shake test" pick it up and give it a shake....if the meat doesn't fall off, supposed to be good....don't know for sure as I have never been that hungry

Is who ever or what ever killed it near by, and pose a threat?.....Bear, wolves, hunter tracking it.......?

Lots of variables....and how hungry you are.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Blog Entries

(I think he killed the deer, hunter.) If you've gotten that far, it's highly unlikely that you're going to collapse and die in the time it would take you to make a fire and cook some venison. Can it be eaten raw? Sure. So can beef. Just realize that it may harbor parasites or disease that make cooking it well worth the time.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Yeah, maybe but he did say quote> "but when i finally find some prey, it's a deer. Deer's dead"<quote.......
    That was the reason for the question.

I/we have eaten many back straps, off the spine, into the pan...but we cooked it first.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Yeah, maybe but he did say quote> "but when i finally find some prey, it's a deer. Deer's dead"<quote.......
    That was the reason for the question.

I/we have eaten many back straps, off the spine, into the pan...but we cooked it first.
    Confused me a bit as well. That's why the "I think."

Ah yes, nothing like eating tender COOKED venison that had a pulse only a few minutes before.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

"Back in the day", the frontier day, the hunters often ate the liver and heart raw, right out of the steaming gut pile.

As Hunter stated, backstrap and tinderloin can go onto a sharp stick and will roast like a marshmallow over a small fire as you skin out the rest of the carcass.

Since you stated winter in the north east I would not worry about if you killed it or a car or pack of coyotes. If you are starving and the temps are below 40 and has been for some time eat it.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 05-20-2013 at 05:15 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

In deer camp has any one been handed a piece of cooked or raw deer that your buddy pulled off by hand. He has been a field all day. Probably answered a couple of different nature calls and before that. It does happen and if you camp and hunt more often than you think.

I was at a celebration of the life of a freind that had passed from brain cancer this weekend. We china boxed a pig and grilled clams. My friends son dove into the water that in the back yard. It has crocodiles and manatees as well as gators and all sorts of fish and birds. Any body ever fished under anhingas in a tree when it lets loose?

He got out a hand picked a few choice pieces of pork for us. Would I rather he had washed his hands first? Would I turn down the respect that he was showing me at his fathers wake. Nope.

I have seen a thousand fishermen wash their hands in the same water so that they can eat with "clean hands". Washing swamp blood with swamp mud and swamp water all the time before hand sanitizer.

I practice good hygiene as best I can. But, I live in a less than perfect world and I'll deal with it.

We process hog and try to wear gloves because of the risks. But, the gloves rip when you are quartering in the field all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Batch View Post
    In deer camp has any one been handed a piece of cooked or raw deer that your buddy pulled off by hand. He has been a field all day. Probably answered a couple of different nature calls and before that. It does happen and if you camp and hunt more often than you think.

I was at a celebration of the life of a freind that had passed from brain cancer this weekend. We china boxed a pig and grilled clams. My friends son dove into the water that in the back yard. It has crocodiles and manatees as well as gators and all sorts of fish and birds. Any body ever fished under anhingas in a tree when it lets loose?

He got out a hand picked a few choice pieces of pork for us. Would I rather he had washed his hands first? Would I turn down the respect that he was showing me at his fathers wake. Nope.

I have seen a thousand fishermen wash their hands in the same water so that they can eat with "clean hands". Washing swamp blood with swamp mud and swamp water all the time before hand sanitizer.

I practice good hygiene as best I can. But, I live in a less than perfect world and I'll deal with it.

We process hog and try to wear gloves because of the risks. But, the gloves rip when you are quartering in the field all the time.
    I'd like to offer my condolences on the loss of your friend.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

It really doesn't take that long to cut a hunk of backstrap and get it cooking......that being said I think meat from a fresh shot deer in COLD weather would be fine.

I'd be leary doing it here in Texas, my winter day could be 90 degrees

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Sorry about your friend too. Out in the field, I normally try to use a wet one to wash up before eating but you know, what happens out there, stays out there.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

im grateful for your imput. evryone. to clarify though, i killed the deer in my scenario. curse my vague explanation. I guess i was just excited to have found this site. Like Mr. 63 said, i skipped the part where i introduce myself. I will have some sort of intro up shortly.
    Hunter and Ken say raw meat's o.k. in a pinch if it's not falling off the bone, but there's still (thank u ken) the possiblity of long term risk, parasites and the like.
    I guess i was hoping that some specific part, say... a gland orrrrr an organ (ty ratshooter) was universally safe, perhaps documented to have NEVER been a host site for any millimitter critters
    i wont be the guy they caught off his guard

In one episode Cody, found a frozen dead animal......was kind picked over, by varmints and birds, but the jaw was locked so the tongue was still inside and sealed.... he considered it edible and reasonably safe.
    They did cook it though........My experience with beef tongue slice thin, kinda chewy.

So the question is still how hungry.....and if you are dying from hunger, a few parasites may hurt you...if you live that long.

Blog Entries

Have to say, the liver from a fresh killed deer is a real treat. My personal preference is thinly sliced and pan fried in butter over an open fire. However, in your scenario, just stick it on a stick and flame cooking it would be good too. I have an aversion to all things bloody, so raw would have to be one step from starvation for me.
    Maybe the Venison Rocky Mountain Oysters (if your kill were male) would be pretty much parasite free, but Deer Ba!!s doesn't sound too appealing.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Quote Originally Posted by Batch View Post

Thanks for sharing this moment with you.....
    Thoughts and prayers, man.