Thread: Tavor TAR-21

Default Tavor TAR-21

I was reading a recent edition of American Rifleman and I came across an article on this:

T21darkearth_s_1.jpg

The Tavor TAR-21 is the recently adopted standard weapon for the Israel Military, and there is now a civilian semi-auto version available. I'd never really heard much about these until I read this article, but I simply had to know more. I did some research, and I like what I've found. Accuracy is comparable to the best AR-platforms out there, and reliability is very good, even though there is no forward-assist (though one could argue it was built without one because it "didn't need one"). Apparently they are 100% ambidexterous so long as you have an allen-wrench to flip-flop the parts, and the whole thing is 26 inches long, with a 18 inch barrel. They take standard AR-15/M-16 magazines, and the placement and design of all operation surfaces is really ergonomic and in my opinion ingenious. You can put the charging handle on either side of the weapon, no matter whether it's in normal or southpaw mode, and the disasembly process is no harder than that on an AR-15. I think I've discovered that I'm becoming addicted to bullpup designs...

The only main drawback I can think of is the cost: suggested retail is just a little under $2000. I think I'll be buying an AR first, but once I get enough, I'll trade it up for one of these beauties.

Do any of you have thoughts or experiences about Tavors?
    Last edited by GreatUsername; 05-26-2013 at 06:46 AM.
    I am to misbehave - Captain Mal

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, you aren't entitled to your own set of facts. - Anonymous

I'm not sure I understand the "shorter is better" concept outside of urban warfare. The further you keep the enemy at bay the better your chances in my book. That's why the Ruskies used a 9 foot mosin (with bayo). They could probably shoot a German on his back porch in Berlin all the way from Moscow. Or not.

The bullpup designs just don't do anything for me. Call me old fashioned but I'm just not moved by them. The M14 on the other hand just reeks "Born Killer".
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Have a bolt on Bull Pup stock for a 10/22.....took it back off, found it uncomfortable....or maybe I'm just used to a shoulder fired, with the buiness "out there" or at least a "stock under the arm".

But, Hey, different strokes (assisted or not) for different folks.....Not a fan.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I have a Tavor SAR on order. Hoping to get it before I'm too old to shoot it. I've heard a lot of really good things about Tavor's and IWI (the company that manufactures them) in general. I've never had a bulpup rifle before so we will see how it goes, if I ever get it.
    "When young men seek to be like you, when lazy men resent you, when powerful men look over their shoulder at you, when cowardly men plot behind your back, when corrupt men wish you were gone and evil men want you dead; Only then will you have done your share." -Phil Messina

The main thing I like about bullpups is having the accuracy of a full-length rifle in a system that is more compact to one's body, and potentially easier to conceal/lug for miles if needed. I've also always had a preference for rifles that were rear-heavy rather than front-heavy, since it keeps my form more relaxed. I've got nothing against typical ARs, but this little gun is calling to me. Obviously everyone will have their own preferences, but I personally can't wait to get one of these when I have the chance.

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, you aren't entitled to your own set of facts. - Anonymous

You do know that the rifle is an Israeli one right?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by greatusername View Post
    i'd rather it weren't israeli (i prefer american and german guns) but...

Attachment 9201

Quote Originally Posted by greatusername View Post
    i was reading a recent edition of american rifleman and i came across an article on this:

the tavor tar-21 is the recently adopted standard weapon for the israel military, and there is now a civilian semi-auto version available.....

I think i'll be buying an ar first, but once i get enough, i'll trade it up for one of these beauties.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    you do know that the rifle is an israeli one right?

That Crash never forgets nuthin'! His memory is like a

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

I know, I know XD

It's mainly Uzis and Gahlils and a couple other Israeli products. This is starting to change my opinion on things. I wondered if anyone would bring that up...

Plus, I'll make exceptions for anything gorgeous enough. There are some British-made things I like, even though normally my preference is usually against them. For example, I like the break-action revolvers that I believe Webley used to make, though I wish they were easier to come by, and in more common calibers. Someday I guess...

Goog...He's just this guy greatgoogamooga's Avatar
    East coast. Too Close to DC for my own comfort.

Last summer a guy showed up with a super short AK74 (5.54mm) that got a lot of attention from the other shooters. compact, "concealable" portable, everything you'd need in urban combat. Several of us got a turn at it, shooting 50 yards and by the end of the day, most of us decided it was a neat little gun, but we had no idea what we'd do with it if we had one. Not as accurate as a full sized AK (for what that's worth) and weird handling.

Any chance you can find a shop that will let you grope one before you buy it?

Goog

Goog...He's just this guy greatgoogamooga's Avatar
    East coast. Too Close to DC for my own comfort.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatUsername View Post
    I know, I know XD

It's mainly Uzis and Gahlils and a couple other Israeli products. This is starting to change my opinion on things. I wondered if anyone would bring that up...

Plus, I'll make exceptions for anything gorgeous enough. There are some British-made things I like, even though normally my preference is usually against them. For example, I like the break-action revolvers that I believe Webley used to make, though I wish they were easier to come by, and in more common calibers. Someday I guess...
    Some of the cowboy shooters still use the Top Break revolvers:

http://www.cimarron-firearms.com/car...top-break.html

Goog

Quote Originally Posted by greatgoogamooga View Post
    Some of the cowboy shooters still use the Top Break revolvers:

http://www.cimarron-firearms.com/car...top-break.html

Goog
    Dear god...

I think... I must have this. Thank you!!! I especially like the schofield no. 3 ca852-schofield-7-44wcf-lt.jpg because it asthetically looks like my favorite (yet sadly non-existent) gun in the 'verse: Mal-s-gun-firefly-3682583-500-500.jpg

Apparently that second "gun" prop was actually a mocked up Taurus 85, so maybe I'll have the pleasure of modding one myself, though in all honesty, having a bunch of non-functioning doodads on the side of a gun just for sentimental value is... not worth it.

I've always wanted a top-break revolver, thanks for the link Goog, I'll see if I can find a new wishlist item in here