Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hand fishing hesitation - water snakes?

Cool Hand fishing hesitation - water snakes?

I'm a wilderness hiking guide in Arizona and am working on expanding my skill set. The epic factor of catching a fish with my bare hands? Too cool to pass up.

It's supposed to be easier than it sounds. Basic theory is to scare the fish under rocks and then feel around in holes in the rocks until you feel something. Then you grab the fish.

My hesitation: I am afraid of reaching into a dark hole and finding a poisonous snake instead of a fish.
    My question: Do snakes ever lurk in corners of a pond like fish do? How can I avoid them?

In my favor:
    Fortunately venomous snakes are more buoyant - They swim with their entire body exposed. I'm guessing that if startled, they'd be more likely to run for land than hide in an underwater corner?

Not in my favor:
    Although they still breathe air, water snakes can stay underwater for significant periods of time.
    Cottonmouths can definitely bite underwater.

Anyone have experience with hand fishing in areas that have water snakes?

Hunter63, saying Hey and Welcome.
    There is an introduction section
    http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...-Introductions

What water snakes are in Arizona?...I know you have a lot of rattle snakes......
    Is there water in Arizona?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Blog Entries

Even if I've been asked to, I've NEVER put even a finger in a lady's pocketbook. I've been told that there's all kinds of dangerous stuff in there. Stuff that burns and stings and bites and things that can snap your hand clean off at the wrist. If you just glance inside it's dark and scary looking. Lord knows what's in there.

I've carried that lesson with me throughout my entire life. If you don't know what's in there, you're better off if you don't stick your hands in there and start probing around.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

They have invented fishing rods.......or are you just impressing the ladies.....?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Do they have Snapping Turtles in Arizona?

I remember seeing a tail of a fish I didn't recognize at the time. It was bouncing back and forth out of the limestone bank. I tried snagging it but it had a tough scale.

I really wanted to know what it was and we didn't have google back then. So, I lay down hill facing the water and reach until my face is under water and my hand can reach the fishes tail and I yoked that sucker out. The limestone is under cut and pocketed and snakes hide in those pockets all the time. LOL

Most are brown water snakes and banded water snakes and they don't bite very readily. In my experience with those species in the wild and having had banded water snakes as pets. I have never been bit and I love grabbing them when someone thinks they are a moccasin and showing my a$$.

It turned out to be an armored catfish. Though when I got it to my friends they had some other aquarium name for it. Definitely a pucker moment just because I saw only the tail. But, hey folks don't go sky diving because it bores them to death.

What do they say? Life ain't about the number of breaths you take. But, the moments that take your breath away.

I say hold my beer...

A friend of mine used to fish this way. Stumpy doesn't fish too much any more.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Batch View Post
    Life ain't about the number of breaths you take. But, the moments that take your breath away.

I say hold my beer...
    And the moments that take your fingers away as well? I'll hold your beer, Batch. I still have all my fingers and thumbs.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

My last hold my beer moment was driving a rock through the bottom of a hornets nest. It was a stupid thing to do. Spearing fish is fun.

Sometimes, you don't have to do anything. I sat next to a ground hornet nest to watch and you can guess the rest.

I get in enough trouble not trying to do anything remarkable with things I CAN see. I can't imagine how much trouble I could get into grabbing stuff in places I can't see..........Uh, excuse me, miss. Didn't mean to touch that. Say, is that gun you're holding loaded?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

when the smelts run you can catch them by hand... I once saw a movie a guy caught a fly dropped it on the water an waited with a tree branch to smack the fish...no hands in the dark waters
    He who has ears to hear and eyes to see...learns something daily...

Quote Originally Posted by Gille View Post
    when the smelts run you can catch them by hand... I once saw a movie a guy caught a fly dropped it on the water an waited with a tree branch to smack the fish...no hands in the dark waters
    My Name is Nobody. I love Terrence Hill movies. This was Henry Fonda's last western.

What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

Yea,snakes are the last thing I would worry about,snapping turtles lurk in murky muddy water,oh and a nice sized catfish could scare the heck out of you if you aren't prepared.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Ah, they cut that film off right here he clobbers the fish! lol
    But that was thee film..cool, nice find.
    He who has ears to hear and eyes to see...learns something daily...

Hmmmm now thats a movie i gotta find ...

Quote Originally Posted by Gille View Post
    Ah, they cut that film off right here he clobbers the fish! lol
    But that was thee film..cool, nice find.
    THE PROSPECTOR ! !

Quote Originally Posted by birdman6660 View Post
    Hmmmm now thats a movie i gotta find ...
    You can't go wrong with any of the Trinity movies. Terrence Hill and Bud Spencer make an outstanding duo. You could probably find that whole movie in English on Youtube. The last time I watched it it was on streaming Netflix, so you should be able to find it pretty easily.
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

Maybe the people who think noodling is crazy could site there statistics? How many noodlers nationwide lost any digits last year?

Blog Entries

Cool well now...

Noodle this! Snakes will be the last of your worries!

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

You're pretty safe...venomous snakes don't lurk beneath rocks underwater....